I really thought this would be the phone of the year

unity04

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
So, last night I made the switch and got the HTC 10. I switched carriers to and realized what an insane move that was as well. This morning I brought everything back to the store.

Let's preface this - since the unveiling, I've been amped for this device. Probably more excited than any other phone in a long time. I've been a long time fan of their Super LCD panels and Sense software and thought they'd hit this one out of the park. Here's what fell short:

- Panel: a few things turned me off. First, my panel wasn't completely white, but rather, white on the left, with a gradient effect to grey on the right. Very noticeable when using HTC's keyboard. I also had light bleed across the top of the screen. Probably a bad unit, but still. Second, the display isn't that bright and they use shadows on the home screen which make it seem even dimmer. Third, I can't believe how poor their wallpapers are. They looked incredible in videos, but when selecting and using them, they're all grainy and the resolution/quality looks really bad. Last, it seems making the display colder or warmer by the slightest bit turns the colour to ****.

- Build: one issue I've always had with HTC phones is the power button + volume buttons are very clicky. Not in the good way, but rather, if you slightly tap on them, they rock and make a clicking sound. The issue that plagued the M7 + M8 still exists. Some might not mind it, but it's quite annoying. Also, this phone is quite heavy.

- Software: Sense is great. But, not much has changed. The software felt dated compared to TouchWiz (am I really saying this?) in the sense that everything looks the same and operates the same. For example, the weather app still looks as boring as it did on the M7, and the dialer is still as lame as it was on the Sensation. Also, there are weird load times... for example, when setting a wallpaper, it takes a good 3 seconds to load up the window to pick your wallpaper (tried over and again). Last, their animations aren't very Marshmallow-y. They almost feel forced to pop at you immediately to minimize the feeling of lag... but, it feels - forced? Too quick? Not natural? Not sure the word.

- Camera: camera is good for the most part, but man - this thing over exposes a lot. Compared to my old 5S, light fixtures are blown out and even light reflects look weird. I updated the software btw.

What I liked:
- Smooth UI (+ Chrome)
- Speakers are really good
- BlinkFeed
- The home button (love not having to press a physical button)
- Fantastic front facing camera

I felt disappointed after getting the phone - maybe others won't, but my thoughts. After using the S7 Edge with Nova Launcher, I cant recommend this device over it (or the iPhone for that matter).

Would love to hear your thoughts if you have the device.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Screen sacked? That suks I need to hold one asap

Touch wiz ugh hate the Samsung ui and bloat ware.

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

unity04

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
If you throw Nova Launcher on the S7 and adjust the look + feel to Nova speed, the thing is incredibly quick. I've never seen apps open so fast. You can also disable bloat like Microsoft apps. Sammy doesn't overload the device like they used to (for instance, you won't find their music app, but only the Google Music app). Most apps are available in their app store if you want them.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like you have a bad screen. You should get it replaced.
As for the others;
To me, even the S7's touch wiz looks and fees dated compared to my 2 year old HTC. From what you're saying, it sounds that if I like Sense, I'll like this phone.
I can't remember using a stock wallpaper for at least 5 years so it's not concerning, but thx for the heads-up.
The cam lets you choose exposure as you shoot, so it sounds like you need to bump it down if you feel it's over-exposing.
You're saying the touch response is too fast? Sounds like a classy problem to have.

unity04

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you have a bad screen. You should get it replaced.
In terms of the colour temperature I think I did, but the brightness is definitely lacking. I remember when the HTC One X first came out, it looked like the display was simply a print out glued onto the phone (in a good way). The 10 left me wanting much, much more.

As for the others;
To me, even the S7's touch wiz looks and fees dated compared to my 2 year old HTC. From what you're saying, it sounds that if I like Sense, I'll like this phone.
To each their own - it just feels dated after all this time of Sense being Sense. Again, nothing necessarily wrong with it, but it feels like we've seen this show before from HTC.

I can't remember using a stock wallpaper for at least 5 years so it's not concerning, but thx for the heads-up.
The cam lets you choose exposure as you shoot, so it sounds like you need to bump it down if you feel it's over-exposing.
Even when manually adjusting, the over exposing just felt unnecessary for those looking for a point and shoot.

You're saying the touch response is too fast? Sounds like a classy problem to have.
Not exactly; the touch responsiveness is the same as other phones - the animation speeds feel forced. Kind of how you can speed up animations in Nova or in Dev settings - it doesn't feel natural.

One thing, I was surprised to find no dead pixels or gaps in the construction with light bleed.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
So, last night I made the switch and got the HTC 10. I switched carriers to and realized what an insane move that was as well. This morning I brought everything back to the store.

Let's preface this - since the unveiling, I've been amped for this device. Probably more excited than any other phone in a long time. I've been a long time fan of their Super LCD panels and Sense software and thought they'd hit this one out of the park. Here's what fell short:

- Panel: a few things turned me off. First, my panel wasn't completely white, but rather, white on the left, with a gradient effect to grey on the right. Very noticeable when using HTC's keyboard. I also had light bleed across the top of the screen. Probably a bad unit, but still. Second, the display isn't that bright and they use shadows on the home screen which make it seem even dimmer. Third, I can't believe how poor their wallpapers are. They looked incredible in videos, but when selecting and using them, they're all grainy and the resolution/quality looks really bad. Last, it seems making the display colder or warmer by the slightest bit turns the colour to ****.

- Build: one issue I've always had with HTC phones is the power button + volume buttons are very clicky. Not in the good way, but rather, if you slightly tap on them, they rock and make a clicking sound. The issue that plagued the M7 + M8 still exists. Some might not mind it, but it's quite annoying. Also, this phone is quite heavy.

- Software: Sense is great. But, not much has changed. The software felt dated compared to TouchWiz (am I really saying this?) in the sense that everything looks the same and operates the same. For example, the weather app still looks as boring as it did on the M7, and the dialer is still as lame as it was on the Sensation. Also, there are weird load times... for example, when setting a wallpaper, it takes a good 3 seconds to load up the window to pick your wallpaper (tried over and again). Last, their animations aren't very Marshmallow-y. They almost feel forced to pop at you immediately to minimize the feeling of lag... but, it feels - forced? Too quick? Not natural? Not sure the word.

- Camera: camera is good for the most part, but man - this thing over exposes a lot. Compared to my old 5S, light fixtures are blown out and even light reflects look weird. I updated the software btw.

What I liked:
- Smooth UI (+ Chrome)
- BlinkFeed

I felt disappointed after getting the phone - maybe others won't, but my thoughts. After using the S7 Edge with Nova Launcher, I cant recommend this device over it (or the iPhone for that matter).

The screen on the s7 is just too hard to beat. I personally don't mind TouchWiz I find it fairly polished. Sense is good but hasn't received the face-lift it needed. The nexus 6p with its build quality issues is a better deal dollar/ spec wise.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I understand some beefs with the phone, but I checked one out at Verizon yesterday and noticed zero issues with the buttons and saw no light bleed. And that sucker was CRANKED up. I'm not saying there isn't a bad phone here and there. But I'd try to swap that thing before you give up.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
You mean ''it's not the perfect phone I always dream of'' instead of not the phone of the year, well nothing is perfect in this world, nor the S7e nor the G5 and surely not the iphones. As all flagships have negatives to say ''phone of the year'' become very subjective, you should see which one has negatives and positives that outweigh the other then choose.
For me the 10 is the phone to get in 2016 because I am an audiophile, I want a 1440p +5.2'' screen (with all its subpixels), a solid camera and a smooth HTC UI

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

What I liked:
- Smooth UI (+ Chrome)
- BlinkFeed

The only thing that's alarming to me from your post is the light bleed. Of course by now we all know the camera could've been better.

The rest of the things are very S7 edge vs HTC. All what you mentioned is kind of what makes HTC, HTC. The buttons, ummmmm, I remember the M8 power button being a little loose. But only a LITTLE. Because I've never felt it was a problem until today when I read your post. The M9 buttons are RIGID! No issues there. My brother has it. And from what I've seen people have been going out of there way to praise 10's buttons. And for reference, my S6 edge has loose buttons too. Looser than the M8. Which tells you, build isn't 10/10 on every single unit.

Would you be kind enough and take a picture of the light bleed issue? And the screen gradient issue? Preferably with your iPhone or the S7 as it has such a good camera? Hahaha I'm kidding. But please do post the picture. It would really help. Help you :p because I kind of almost don't believe you :p

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that's alarming to me from your post is the light bleed. Of course by now we all know the camera could've been better.

The rest of the things are very S7 edge vs HTC. All what you mentioned is kind of what makes HTC, HTC. The buttons, ummmmm, I remember the M8 power button being a little loose. But only a LITTLE. Because I've never felt it was a problem until today when I read your post. The M9 buttons are RIGID! No issues there. My brother has it. And from what I've seen people have been going out of there way to praise 10's buttons. And for reference, my S6 edge has loose buttons too. Looser than the M8. Which tells you, build isn't 10/10 on every single unit.

Would you be kind enough and take a picture of the light bleed issue? And the screen gradient issue? Preferably with your iPhone or the S7 as it has such a good camera? Hahaha I'm kidding. But please do post the picture. It would really help. Help you :p because I kind of almost don't believe you :p

First paragraph, he returned it. Also, I'm sure the OP's evaluations will not match the majority.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Appreciate the honest opinion....definitely good to see various opinions as that is what the forums are for.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

What I liked:
- Smooth UI (+ Chrome)
- BlinkFeed

How bad is the audio over earphones on S7e? I heard you can flash a mod to boost it but I doubt it will never beat the 10

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you got a phone that had a dud screen. It sucks, but it happens with devices. So you're sticking with your S7 Edge?

I dunno, I'm actually thinking about getting the 10 or Nexus 6P when I upgrade... The only thing about the HTC 10 about which I am concerned is the screen size. But that's me. :p

Do you know anyone who has the 10 who could give you more feedback? I've heard overall good things about it - not saying your issues are unwarranted, they totally are; especially the screen/display issues - but who knows, the phone just came out. HTC may jump to fix glitches when they catch 'em.

BTW: You said you're in Canada. Which carrier did you switch to? I can't remember if Rogers has the HTC 10 out right now. Does Bell?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
We're never going to see a Q1 or Q2 phone that is "phone of the year". In 2016 we still have whatever nonsense Moto is putting out (looks very bad at this point, but hopefully I'm wrong), the Nexus line, iPhone 7 and Note 6. At least three of those 4 are, in all probability, going to be "better" at most things.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep the discussion civil and on topic folks. If you don't care for the OP's opinion simply move onto another thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treoluv