I think we are nuts!!

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 14 Pro and a pixel seven and I’m telling you that I am looking at the Pixel Fold. I just have to ask myself. What am I thinking both of these phones work great. So what does the Pixel Fold do that these other two phones can’t do???? What I think is I’m bored with phones but I don’t wanna be. I also think that spending $1800 or $1000 with a trade-in is ludicrous.
At some point in time, I think I have to get over cell phones, knowing that I have great phones already.
Your thoughts?
Darrell

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I am same as you had iphone 14 pro also s23 ultra and got the pixel fold.I let mustang post a good review.

For me like you said bored .
Now honestly at 1799 that be a big no for me.

However since i had an Att upgrade getting the fold for 900 No Trade In.
yes stuck for 36 months.
I did put att insurance on it.
Oh good thing sound crazy I know the outer display i use it 95 percent of the time.That good for me.

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I understand you. But if you use the outside 95% of the time then what you’re saying is 5% of the time using the inside is worth the extra 1800 bucks or the thousand bucks if you traded in a phone that’s where I’m having a problem, when I’m home I have an iPad that I use most of the time so it’s only when I’m out traveling which now is less than ever so it’s really confusing to me. Good luck with your phone.

Reactions: J Dubbs

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I understand you. But if you use the outside 95% of the time then what you’re saying is 5% of the time using the inside is worth the extra 1800 bucks or the thousand bucks if you traded in a phone that’s where I’m having a problem, when I’m home I have an iPad that I use most of the time so it’s only when I’m out traveling which now is less than ever so it’s really confusing to me. Good luck with your phone.
Hobbies are fun, but just like potato chips it's hard to stop at just one 😉 I almost picked up a Fold on sale just because of the cool factor, but I made myself leave the store and take a night to think it over. I realized I would never actually use it unfolded because that's not how I use my phones... but I did realize I would use a Flip all the time the way it was intended, because I like a big screen but I don't like a big phone in my pocket.

So I picked up a Flip on sale 😁 And then because I like Pixels I picked one of those up on sale too lol. And I don't think I'm done quite yet 😳 I have a weakness for sales 😜

But I do make it a point to use what I buy.... I think if you can afford it and will actually use it it's okay. But I don't buy anything I know I won't use, or use to it's full potential 👍

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone 14 Pro and a pixel seven and I’m telling you that I am looking at the Pixel Fold. I just have to ask myself. What am I thinking both of these phones work great. So what does the Pixel Fold do that these other two phones can’t do???? What I think is I’m bored with phones but I don’t wanna be. I also think that spending $1800 or $1000 with a trade-in is ludicrous.
At some point in time, I think I have to get over cell phones, knowing that I have great phones already.
Your thoughts?
Darrell
You know, there was a time when it was really exciting every time a new phone came out. Certain habits formed as a result. These days, changes tend to be more incremental, and even second-tier phones are pretty good. Old habits are still hard to shake.

I have to laugh every time I hear people going, "wow, the 22 camera is so amazing, it's amazing, we've never seen a camera like this." Then the 23 comes out. "Wow the improvements in the camera are so amazing like I just got to go get it because of the camera alone. I have to get rid of that lousy 22!" Usually, the new features aren't that impressive.

I swore I wouldn't get rid of my note 20 for at least 5 years. I lasted until the 23Ultra. I feel dirty and ashamed. Still, three cycles was an improvement for me.

I look forward to doing better in the future. There is just no reason to have constant upgrades anymore unless something dramatic happens in the industry. Intellectually, I know it's true. I have made progress on the emotional front, but I occasionally still fall off the wagon.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
For me fold made a big difference. I have to review documents quite often and refer to websites too. Also at 45, my eyesight is not getting any better . Samsung Z fold came at the right time for me. Don't want to carry a tablet and phone all the time or can't wait to get back home for the work to be done if am outside. Am happy this form factor came in. Sporting Z fold 3 since its release and have no regrets. I got tempted by pixel fold but too much productivity stuff (split screen, secure folder, easy multitasking, pop-up windows and modes&routines) in Samsung fold, I decided to wait and see software improvements from Google for its second iteration ( for now )

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
For me fold made a big difference. I have to review documents quite often and refer to websites too. Also at 45, my eyesight is not getting any better . Samsung Z fold came at the right time for me. Don't want to carry a tablet and phone all the time or can't wait to get back home for the work to be done if am outside. Am happy this form factor came in. Sporting Z fold 3 since its release and have no regrets. I got tempted by pixel fold but too much productivity stuff (split screen, secure folder, easy multitasking, pop-up windows and modes&routines) in Samsung fold, I decided to wait and see software improvements from Google for its second iteration ( for now )
I love the idea of the fold. Let's say I am not fully convinced it is where it needs to be, and at those prices, it needs to be pretty much perfect. But at some point, yes that might be an incentive to change. I'll check back in around 2026.

Reactions: Bkdodger1 and FF22

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah productivity goes to Samsung fold but just media /phone etc then pixel Fold

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Your thoughts?
Darrell
My thoughts are you a tech geek, get help !
I know I'm in that boat

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Your thoughts?
Darrell
I was in the same boat, had both a 14 pro max and a pixel 7 pro. I even preordered the fold the very first day you could. I ended up canceling the preorder due to all the shipping delays and bouncing around. I wasn’t to keen on trying first gen hardware, I wasn’t really sold on the fold when I preordered it in the first place.

I am bored with phones in general these days. There are no definitive differences outside of the folding phones. I use to enjoy jumping between iPhone and android, outside of customizing there are not a whole lot of things that are different anymore.

I ended up keeping my 14 pro max and jumping back into apples eco system. I gave my p7p and pixel bud pros to my one of my siblings. Living the one phone life for a while, and trying to find a less expensive hobby haha.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
This is why I love this Forum! You guys reassure me that I'm not the only crazy one with an addiction. I feel like it's an AA meeting, but we are all bringing beer to the meeting!

For me, it's the Wow factor of something new, and I truly think that's what you get in some of these phones. Whether they are folding, flipping, rolling, etc... I can still remember getting all "giddy" when the LG Voyager came out. A physical keyboard and it folds!!!

And yeah, it's an expensive hobby, but as long as they continue to get creative with new innovative phones, I'm in! Now it is slowing down though as far as yearly upgrades (example fold 4 vs 5). So that's the only thing I need to be mindful of.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is why I love this Forum! You guys reassure me that I'm not the only crazy one with an addiction. I feel like it's an AA meeting, but we are all bringing beer to the meeting!

For me, it's the Wow factor of something new, and I truly think that's what you get in some of these phones. Whether they are folding, flipping, rolling, etc... I can still remember getting all "giddy" when the LG Voyager came out. A physical keyboard and it folds!!!

And yeah, it's an expensive hobby, but as long as they continue to get creative with new innovative phones, I'm in! Now it is slowing down though as far as yearly upgrades (example fold 4 vs 5). So that's the only thing I need to be mindful of.
I guess there are worse addictions that can be even more costly!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I forget where I saw it, and I am too lazy to research it, but I was reading an article recently that suggested that that the phone companies would be wise to stop having annual releases, that if they put themselves on a every-two-years cycle, that would serve both them and the market better, restore some excitement and get rid of the need to keep pretending that there are always these huge advances.

Reactions: FF22

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I forget where I saw it, and I am too lazy to research it, but I was reading an article recently that suggested that that the phone companies would be wise to stop having annual releases, that if they put themselves on a every-two-years cycle, that would serve both them and the market better, restore some excitement and get rid of the need to keep pretending that there are always these huge advances.
But there are huge advances - IN PRICE!;)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I slacked way off on how often I purchased a new phone.
Before 2019 I would replace one of my 2 phones every year.
So one year I would update " phone A " the next year update " phone B "
I would use those 2 phones.
But the older phones went in the sock drawer until any of my friends would ask if I had extra phones to sell.
I would wind up just giving it to them .
But after 2019 I stopping doing that , phone prices just got to expensive to keep that hobby going