Question I was tricked by recharge.tools website. It downloaded many files to my phone (see pic). How to remove this malware?

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Screenshot_20231112_181233_Opera - Copy.jpg

What does all of these mean? Some commands such as "create dir /boot/alternate/" look suspicious. I don't know if it install something to the phone. How do I trace and remove/uninstall all of these? The phone is Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G. Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you clicked proceed in your screenshot it will ask you to install these apps to finally inject which at this point hasn't downloaded anything so don't go any further
0edc9047b4028f8838c64bcbd74bd567.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What app are you using to view that?

Do you recall what you did to accidentally download those files? Did you tap a link in a popup? In general, malware needs to request your permission to install, so if all that happened was a download, you're probably still safe.
Thanks for your reply. I went to the website rechage.tools in Opera browser. I must have clicked something to start the download. However I never clicked on allowing anything to be installed. So I should be safe, right? What a relieve :)

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
I searched and got this. There were no details or information about the site or the tool. At this point, I would have proceeded no further, but in your case you did. Does your screenshot show the result of pressing “Proceed”?

View attachment 357477
Thanks for your reply. Yes I was stupid enough to click that Proceed button. A bunch of files got downloaded after that :( The next screen after downloading was asking me to install a program. That was when I paused. However I wasn't sure how much damaged I've done already. I searched for recently installed app but found none.

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
If you clicked proceed in your screenshot it will ask you to install these apps to finally inject which at this point hasn't downloaded anything so don't go any further
0edc9047b4028f8838c64bcbd74bd567.jpg
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I stopped right here because I didn't want to install anything that I didn't know. However the long list of files that got downloaded to my phone concerned me... So if I didn't installed any of these, the phone should be safe, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, so the list of files being downloaded was just a fake display? That's good. Thanks :) Just curious, how did you know?
Open your file manager app and look in the /Download directory. If you see any of those files there, simply delete them. It's good that you didn't tap any Install option -- as mentioned before, simply downloading files won't cause damage. The malicious package has to be installed, and that requires the user's permission.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000