I'm having so many problems right now:

imsofinite

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I like this phone quite a bit, but for the last month or so a number of problems have been stacking up that are starting to weigh on my nerves. Some of them are quite minor and can be lived with. Two or three of them are basically making the phone unusable. If any one can help with any of these issues I'd be greatly appreciative.

I'll start by saying, I'm rooted and I'm running EB01. If it comes to it, I have no problem just starting from scratch and going to stock Froyo now that we have it. I'm not sure If I'll be losing anything by going to an unrooted version. I don't really use any apps that require root.
So, starting off with the most annoying problem and working down from there:

My phone restarts itself several times a day. It started a few weeks ago and it would do it maybe every other day or less, but in the last few days it seems like every few times I try to wake up my phone, rather than the screen turning on, it will go to the opening Samsung home screen and then the boot animation. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes when I turn it on, before going to the Samsung logo first it will show me the dead battery icon and then reboot, but then after it's all started up it will say it have more than enough power, usually fifty percent or more. If any of these problems are solvable, I'd prefer it be this. The rest I could learn to live with if I had to.

The next thing is that it seems like I'm getting far more force quits than I used to, and with almost any program. I've tried the "Fix Permissions" tool in Rom Manager, but that hasn't helped. I'm getting at least five a day on various apps, which make it hard to use the phone.

The last of the major problems is that a good portion of my texts aren't being received. My phone doesn't tell me that they failed; the intended recipient just doesn't receive them. It happens more often on longer texts, but occasionally on shorter ones as well. The curious thing is that also sometimes my phone will say that a message failed to send, but then the person will respond, so obviously it didn't fail. Fortunately most of my friends have smart phones, so I can just email them important messages and they'd receive it as quickly as they would a text for the most part, but it would be nice to be able to send texts.
I've noticed this will both Handcent and the default messaging app, so I'm not sure where the source of the problem lies.

As I said, there are a bunch of other little problems right now, but these are the major ones, and if any of these can be solved, I'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
ROM Manager doesnt work with the Fascinate very well. It is advised not to use it with the Fascinate at all. Did you flash an ED01 ROM with the Manager?

Final13

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Id go back to stock, let the newest ED03 OTA update hit, and then see if you have any issues after that. Then if you need to root or want to run another type of ROM make sure you check the Hack part of the forum as there is a WEALTH of information over there.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so you are rooted EB01. Which ROM did you flash so you are on EB01? How did you root and flash the ROM onto your phone? In addition to answers to these questions I need you to go into menu=>settings=>about phone and tell me what it says for each of the following:

Firmware version
Baseband version
Kernel version
Build number

It helps to have all this information in order to troubleshoot

imsofinite

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I installed it using Odin. I'm not sure which ROM it was; it was quite a while ago, but it was one of the links that I found in the froyo thread in the hack section on this forum. The information is as follows:

S:i500.04 V.EB01
SCH-I500.EB01

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I installed it using Odin. I'm not sure which ROM it was; it was quite a while ago, but it was one of the links that I found in the froyo thread in the hack section on this forum. The information is as follows:

S:i500.04 V.EB01
SCH-I500.EB01

Normally the random reboots are a kernel issue, but if I had to guess I would say you flashed an ODIN package for superclean 2.9 and haven't updated since then. That version of superclean was known to have a random reboot and shut down problem because of the music controls that came with the 5 lockscreen mod. The force closes are a byproduct of garbage building up in your system and caches. The texting problem is probably due to the known problem with verizon's 3G network

So like the previous poster suggested, your best course of action is going to be flashing back to stock DL09, letting your phone OTA upgrade to the latest official Froyo (ED03), then from there you can root and leave it stock, flash a custom ROM that includes root, or stay at unrooted stock. First thing is first and that is you will need to back up your data before flashing to stock.

When you used the ODIN package last time, did you back up all your data? If so you just need to do the same thing you did last time. If you didn't back up your data, let me know and I'll give you suggestions on how to do that.

This is the DL09 file you will need to download to your computer and you will flash through the PDA button of ODIN:
http://adrynalyne.us/files/stuff/CI500_VZW_DL09_ECLAIR.tar.md5

Reactions: imsofinite

imsofinite

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No, I stupidly just installed it without backing anything up, so I basically started from scratch. If you could give me a suggestion I'd appreciate it greatly, as I appreciate what you're doing for me now. Thanks for the help.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
No, I stupidly just installed it without backing anything up, so I basically started from scratch. If you could give me a suggestion I'd appreciate it greatly, as I appreciate what you're doing for me now. Thanks for the help.

For backing up contacts I recommend exporting them to the sd card. Go into contacts, hit the menu soft key, choose import, export, choose export to sd card.

For apps, go to the market and download titanium backup or mybackup. Each has a free version and a paid version. I recommend the paid version of both. If you choose titanium, you will need to download both the free and the paid as the paid is just a key that unlocks the extra features of the pro version.

For text messages, I use sms backup. It's super easy to use.

Once you have those two apps and have backed up your contacts, let me know.

imsofinite

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Okay, contacts backed up, downloaded Titanium and I chose the apps that I actually use (out of the dozens more that I don't really care to reload onto my phone) and backed those up manually (just by clicking them and choosing back up. I'm not sure if I have to do anymore than that, but that's where I am so far there) and I've signed in and run the backup on SMS backup.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay, contacts backed up, downloaded Titanium and I chose the apps that I actually use (out of the dozens more that I don't really care to reload onto my phone) and backed those up manually (just by clicking them and choosing back up. I'm not sure if I have to do anymore than that, but that's where I am so far there) and I've signed in and run the backup on SMS backup.

Ok, as far as titanium goes, when you go into the app, you wait for the app to scan your system and figure out how many apps and how much data you have on your system. When that is done (spinning circle on the right side of the bar toward the top of the screen disappears), you click on the backup/restore tab top center of your screen. You will see a list of all your apps. Hit the menu soft key, and chose batch. This will bring up a list of options. For backing up you choose backup all user apps and system data. You follow this process when restoring too, but instead of choosing backup, scroll further down and choose restore all missing apps with data. Don't choose all apps, and don't choose either option that restores system data.

Now that you have everything backed up, power down phone, pull battery, open ODIN, plug phone into usb cord while holding volume down button. Choose PDA, find the DL09 file and double click on it to populate the DL09 button, then click start. This should take about 3 or 4 minutes.

When that finishes, close ODIN, pull usb cable from phone, put battery back in, and reboot phone. Then skip through the initial set up to get to the homescreen. Once there, hit the menu soft key, go settings=>about phone=>system updates, and that should get you the two OTA's to bring your phone to ED03. When that is done come back here and let me know what you want to do from that point.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I hate to just leave when you are not finished, but I have to be up in a couple of hours for work. Once you finish the OTA update to ED03, you can do basically the same thing you did before and flash an ODIN package to install a custom ROM with root included. Follow the steps in this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ed-custom-roms-w-root-updated-05-17-11-a.html

and I would suggest using this package:
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Or you can stay stock and you are good to go at this point. I've already told you how to restore your apps through titanium in the previous post. To restore your contacts, just go into contacts, hit the menu button, choose import/export, choose import from sd card, choose the file, hit ok, contacts will be restored. The sms restore is pretty self explanatory in that app, just click restore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod