I'm somewhat over this addiction. I don't need to have the latest...

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Since my Samsung Galaxy Ultra pre-order was delayed in the Philippines and got back to Canada. I lost interest especially knowing I couldn't get the free Galaxy Buds+. It didn't help my carrier wanted a $500 down payment to add a second line since I got the iPhone 11 Pro Max a few months ago, which I recently sold.

I missed not having a computer in general, so I bought the new 2020 MacBook Air in Gold. lol It's amazing that I sold the iPhone for a Mac. These phones are expensive!!! :p

I also put my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ up for sale, sorry local only. The reason is like I said on the Huawei P30 Pro thread, I missed the IR Blaster and always wanted it when it came out.

I'm not even excited or looking forward to what's coming out next. I feel like I'm done buying the latest & greatest, usually when I miss out or skip on a release I don't see myself buying. I moved on.

I don't know could it just be, the S20 lacks excitement but then again you can say that for every release and it didn't stop me from upgrading. Philippines delaying it, somehow woke me up that I don't need the latest, I can live with last years model and save some money I guess.

Let's see what happens...

BTW, it's so much easier typing of a computer. lol

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm not even excited or looking forward to what's coming out next.
Well, I can't blame you when just about all smartphones are bezel less glass sandwiches...

BTW, it's so much easier typing of a computer
This is why I use a KEY2, so I don't have to be on the computer to type long text entries comfortably.

However been working remotely lately so I'm always at the computer anyways lol

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I don't know could it just be, the S20 lacks excitement but then again you can say that for every release and it didn't stop me from upgrading. Philippines delaying it, somehow woke me up that I don't need the latest, I can live with last years model and save some money I guess.

For me if I have an inkling a device is going to exceed 1K (my limit) I'll barely take an interest in it, been doing that for several years now. Been toying with much lesser devices, cost/spec wise, and we're perfectly happy sitting where we are, saved bundles in doing so too.

As for Samsung, haven't considered one of their flagships since owning the GS7 & Edge. Price was one of the main factors then, and now it's exactly for that very reason I won't even bother giving them a second look. Don't think Samsung's pricing strategy w/S20 Series has done them any favours.

So nope I surely don't need the latest and greatest as my present devices are proving just that.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
After reading your saga of buy, selling, canceling, I'm not sure you're over your addiction. Give it another week and see how it's going. Remember, it's one day at a time and you're never really cured.

Me? It's the camera that drives me, up to a point, but I won't go from a Huawei P30 pro to Huawei P40 pro to lose Google and gain a few DXO points. But, it's only April. I'll look forward to seeing what OnePlus and Oppo and Xiaomi bring out.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been cured, the newest iterations are just small marginal improvements over their predecessors. Back in the days around the Droid, or S3 improvements were exponential, now not so much. I'll keep my S10e for 3 years or until I break it. I kept my S7 for 3 years and didn't miss a beat until the abuse made it compromised.
These forums are a case in point, they used to be buzzing and I mean buzzing from all the chatter about all the new and different things that were coming out, now a topic is commented on nowhere near as often as in the "innovation" days.

Last edited:

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I've been cured, the newest iterations are just small marginal improvements over their predecessors. Back in the days around the Droid, or S3 improvements were exponential, now not so much. I'll keep my S10e for 3 years or until I break it. I kept my S7 for 3 years and didn't miss a beat until the abuse made it compromised.
These forums are a case in point, they used to be buzzing and I mean buzzing from all the chatter about all the new and different things that were coming out, now a topic is commented on nowhere near as often as in the "innovation" days.
Blame the market for not being exciting anymore.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Blame the market for not being exciting anymore.

Believe the skyrocketing prices have a lot to do with that. I personally find the lower end of the smartphone spectrum garnering my attention more and more, always interested in seeing what they are going to be offering.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Believe the skyrocketing prices have a lot to do with that. I personally find the lower end of the smartphone spectrum garnering my attention more and more, always interested in seeing what they are going to be offering.
Aside from the price factor, it's hard to find a device that isn't "just another slab"

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Aside from the price factor, it's hard to find a device that isn't "just another slab"

Yes from afar I see slabs too yet once in-hand, and using them, I find many still have their own uniqueness's. At the end of the day whether it has a PKB or a virtual one, one camera or four, cheap or expensive, they are all meant to accomplish pretty much the same thing. Oh ya, I'll now easily forgo some likes, creature comforts, a bit of speed, if it means saving hundreds.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I'm done buying the latest & greatest, usually when I miss out or skip on a release I don't see myself buying. I moved on.

I came to this enlightment a few years ago. I can't recall what exactly it was, but there was an epiphany that I didn't need to keep up with everything. I get a new device when needed, usually what may be the flagship for that year, and I hang on to it for as long as possible. I have a Pixel 3, and I am considering the possibility of the 4a to be it's potential replacement.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I came to this enlightment a few years ago. I can't recall what exactly it was, but there was an epiphany that I didn't need to keep up with everything. I get a new device when needed, usually what may be the flagship for that year, and I hang on to it for as long as possible. I have a Pixel 3, and I am considering the possibility of the 4a to be it's potential replacement.
I'm guessing you're not satisfied with the Pixel 3's battery life?

Because it's only a 1.5 year old phone

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing you're not satisfied with the Pixel 3's battery life?

Because it's only a 1.5 year old phone

For me, the battery life is pretty good. I'm just at the point where I am starting to look at replacement candidates. I may not even buy this year, but it doesn't hurt to start gathering your options.

According to AccuBattery, my battery health is still at 96%. This phone I started charging to 85% on my days off (I am usually in front of my computer on my days off anyway, so I thought, 'why do a full charge?'), and it seems to help prolong that battery life a bit. More than I thought it would.

To be fair, I am not a heavy user by any means. My line of work isn't phone friendly, so it sits in standby a lot.

I guess you could say I am getting an itch to upgrade, but it's not overpowering. I only recently started looking at possible replacements anyway, as in a couple days ago.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
For me, the battery life is pretty good. I'm just at the point where I am starting to look at replacement candidates. I may not even buy this year, but it doesn't hurt to start gathering your options.

According to AccuBattery, my battery health is still at 96%. This phone I started charging to 85% on my days off (I am usually in front of my computer on my days off anyway, so I thought, 'why do a full charge?'), and it seems to help prolong that battery life a bit. More than I thought it would.

To be fair, I am not a heavy user by any means. My line of work isn't phone friendly, so it sits in standby a lot.

I guess you could say I am getting an itch to upgrade, but it's not overpowering. I only recently started looking at possible replacements anyway, as in a couple days ago.
The Pixel 4a probably won't have wireless charging or an IP which the older P3 has.

But 96% of original capacity seems really good!

Not letting hit below 20%-30% should also help maintain longevity

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I too find it incredible that you bought a Mac with your iPhone! Holy mackerel! But I agree with what you are saying. Very often, new releases don't entice us and we end up not wanting the latest and greatest.

I'm very happy with my S10 and nothing coming out now seems to be grabbing my attention or making me think about upgrading. I guess sometimes we get to that point where we would rather save money; wait until something truly exciting grabs us; or we just enjoy our current phones and not need anything more.

And yes, typing on a computer is definitely easier! Actually, a computer needs to be my next purchase. I've needed a new computer for years but phones have always taken precedence!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 4a probably won't have wireless charging or an IP which the older P3 has.

But 96% of original capacity seems really good!

Not letting hit below 20%-30% should also help maintain longevity
Not worrying about wireless charging, I don't use it. IP meaning water resistant?

Attached is this morning's health screenshot:
Screenshot_20200405-113714.jpeg

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site

I'm still rolling w/multiple devices (chronic switcher I am LOL) yet keep expenditures far below that of some of today's high-end flagships, allows me to keep my addiction alive LOL. My only Pixel is the 2 XL which is still very much a capable device... Might consider the 4a Series if Google can get their act together this time, 5 unlikely as guaranteed they'll be way above my price-point.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
And yes, typing on a computer is definitely easier! Actually, a computer needs to be my next purchase. I've needed a new computer for years but phones have always taken precedence!

Being less than impressed w/Windows 10 over the course I've held off for years (7 or more) buying a new computer. Boxing Day of last year though we broke down and took the plunge purchasing a new laptop capable of some 4K video edits. Still kept our spending in check finding a decent deal, and opting to perform upgrades myself. Nope in terms of latest and greatest it is not yet achieved my goal.

Last edited:

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
The upcoming Astro Slide which is currently undergoing crowdfunding looks to be a decent hybrid between smartphone and mini laptop.

It's from Planet Computers, the guys behind the Planet Gemini and Cosmo Communicator.