I'm Surprised! The Essential Phone is WAY better than expected!

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I was using Verizon by way of Straight Talk. I did switch to Verizon's prepaid service while picking up a Pixel 2 after trading in an iPhone 7 I had lying around. I believe it was more a Straight Talk provision thing because when I placed my Straight Talk Sim in the Pixel 2 it didn't want to make calls or connect to LTE and I never had any issue swapping devices before.

So I'm going to get another PH-1 soon and probably sell the Pixel 2 for a discount on Swappa. The only thing stopping me is lack of an oleophobic screen coating and no screen protector options (which is the same issue for the Pixel 2 as well)

What do you mean? I think the PH-1 has oleophobic coating on the screen.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
eef16d5221125cb0e7af563ce73e2b18.jpg

366bba960cc75f7af3f55d790a3c257d.jpg

If anyone is interested, I just got these in the mail from eBay. They cover the back of the phone nicely, and there is a wide range of colors from which to choose.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I have two types of Tudia cases. One is the tpu style and the other is the hard case with the camera cutout. The one with the cutout fits without a problem. The other case fits, but only if you get the screen protector on exactly right. The first protector I put on kept being pushed up in the top left corner. The one I have on now fits fine though.

Stinger4321

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have two types of Tudia cases. One is the tpu style and the other is the hard case with the camera cutout. The one with the cutout fits without a problem. The other case fits, but only if you get the screen protector on exactly right. The first protector I put on kept being pushed up in the top left corner. The one I have on now fits fine though.
I have the TUDIA Carbon Fiber Design Lightweight.. wonder if they will work

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the TUDIA Carbon Fiber Design Lightweight.. wonder if they will work
That's the one I have along with the camera cut-out model. If you apply the screen protector exactly right, the case you have should work with it. Just to double check, when I get home, I'll put that case on and let you know how it goes.

Update: Just put the case on my phone. The case fits without interfering with the screen protector. However, I've had this screen protector on for a around a week. It's had time to settle in and adhere fully. Don't know if it matters or not, but if you use these screen protectors, I'd recommend giving them a few days to fully adhere to the screen before using the Tudia case.

Last edited:

Stinger4321

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
That's the one I have along with the camera cut-out model. If you apply the screen protector exactly right, the case you have should work with it. Just to double check, when I get home, I'll put that case on and let you know how it goes.

Update: Just put the case on my phone. The case fits without interfering with the screen protector. However, I've had this screen protector on for a around a week. It's had time to settle in and adhere fully. Don't know if it matters or not, but if you use these screen protectors, I'd recommend giving them a few days to fully adhere to the screen before using the Tudia case.
Alright.. will go for it.. 11$ is a bit steep for a plastic screen protector..last glass one i applied while the case was on to help center it

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Alright.. will go for it.. 11$ is a bit steep for a plastic screen protector..last glass one i applied while the case was on to help center it
I believe it's a 3 pack though. So, basically, you're paying less than $4 for each one. But you're right, it's only a sheet of thin plastic. It should cost less. I really wish a good glass one would come along. Hope it works for you.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So glad the device is great for users! I really wanted one for a while but buying it in Canada is a little difficult; as you can only buy it through two carriers - and since they're not my specific carrier, I'd have to buy it outright. :(

However, it does look like a really sleek, gorgeous, and powerful device! The white looks especially beautiful.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
So glad the device is great for users! I really wanted one for a while but buying it in Canada is a little difficult; as you can only buy it through two carriers - and since they're not my specific carrier, I'd have to buy it outright. :(

However, it does look like a really sleek, gorgeous, and powerful device! The white looks especially beautiful.
Hey, Morty2264. I have two Essential Phones, and I'm thinking about selling one of them. Shoot me a pm if you're interested. 👍

spwexler

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Just bought on ebay. Will fool around with it on wifi, and if I like it, I'll activate on Verizon. If I don't like it, I'll resell. Got for 375,was used for one day.

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It sure does. This is a true, all carrier, global phone. I am using it on VZW in an area that has poor to no cell reception from all carriers and the PH-1 is working as well as any phone that I have used here. Many times I revert to the CDMA signal with no issues.

Last edited:

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
It sure does. This is a true, all carrier, global phone. I am using it on VZW in an area that has poor to no cell reception from all carriers and the PH-1 is working as well as any phone that I have used here. Many times I revert to the CDMA signal with no issues.

That's great, thanks for the heads up, I must have been confusing it with the oneplus phone . . Hmm, guess that means I better pay more attention to this phone then, all I heard were the negative first impressions . . .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe