I'm Surprised! The Essential Phone is WAY better than expected!

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I sent my 2xl back and have been using the PH-1 for going on a week now. I'm a heavy user and I love this thing. It's fast and smooth and beautiful to look at with the screen on or off. I'm using Lawnchair launcher. I find it works best on this phone.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Glad you like it! I really like most things about the phone, but couldn't go for a sub-par camera since that is the #1 feature to me. I will keep an eye on things and hope they can compete with the camera in the future, but it will be hard catching the leaders who are also leaping forward.
I understand your point. The camera is important to me, but I'm only a casual photographer, so it's not at the top of my feature list. Having said that, I don't understand why Essential skimped on it. A good camera is such an essential selling point these days. I bet the next Essential Phone will be better in many ways....if there is one, which I'm hoping there is

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Having said that, I don't understand why Essential skimped on it. A good camera is such an essential selling point these days. I bet the next Essential Phone will be better in many ways....if there is one, which I'm hoping there is
I don't think they purposefully skimped on it. I think they prioritized the industrial design of the phone to keep the camera flat and flush with the back, only to later realize that combining images from two sensors in software was more difficult than expected.

Many of us are hoping for a great follow-up to the PH-1. Camera performance aside, they did rather well for a first try.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't think they purposefully skimped on it. I think they prioritized the industrial design of the phone to keep the camera flat and flush with the back, only to later realize that combining images from two sensors in software was more difficult than expected.

Many of us are hoping for a great follow-up to the PH-1. Camera performance aside, they did rather well for a first try.
You're right. I'm very impressed with it. It's such a well made device. I've owned nothing like it.
I look forward to buying the second generation too. 👍

mlee1999

May 24, 2017
Visit site
Just got one yesterday and very impressed with the device. I received like 4-5 updates. Seems to run well. I want to keep the stock launcher but I can't stand the round icons. Any suggestions on some nice HAD icons? Thanks.
36a50f2d6c5f32d7c79828400ad18a76.jpg

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I unfortunately had to give up my Essential PH-1. Initially the only issue I had with my specific phone was a dead pixel. Essential set me up with a replacement which will get here today, but will be going back to Asurion along with the original PH-1 due to my original basically not being able to receive or make calls or connecting to data for basically 4 days which I didn't realize while on a 4 day weekend at home connected to WiFi. I tried everything to get it to behave like a cellphone but no luck.

Don't get me wrong, I loved everything about the PH-1, it was basically my first step into the unknown of being a Beta tester for an amazing device. I will definitely keep my eyes open for deals to get another after the holiday season to keep as a backup/trophy piece to go along with my Pixel 2. I'll recommend the device to just about anyone one the fence but with the disclaimer that they may have issues like any other phone in the world.

Stinger4321

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I unfortunately had to give up my Essential PH-1. Initially the only issue I had with my specific phone was a dead pixel. Essential set me up with a replacement which will get here today, but will be going back to Asurion along with the original PH-1 due to my original basically not being able to receive or make calls or connecting to data for basically 4 days which I didn't realize while on a 4 day weekend at home connected to WiFi. I tried everything to get it to behave like a cellphone but no luck.

Don't get me wrong, I loved everything about the PH-1, it was basically my first step into the unknown of being a Beta tester for an amazing device. I will definitely keep my eyes open for deals to get another after the holiday season to keep as a backup/trophy piece to go along with my Pixel 2. I'll recommend the device to just about anyone one the fence but with the disclaimer that they may have issues like any other phone in the world.
What's cell service ate you using? Verizon works fine on my ph-1.. no issues transitioning from lte to wifi data.. send like more features are coming to the Oreo update. Visual voicemail and wifi calling looks to be supported in up coming update

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have 5 months left on contract, I am going to telus today, and see what they can do about forcing an early upgrade on my device. I really want the PH-1 to be a buddy for my iPhone 6s.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Essential since Nov7. Initially, I loved the phone but was unwilling to pay $699. My usage doesn't usually require a top of the line processor. When I saw the price drop to $449 at Best Buy and with all the updates happening with the phone, It became a no brainer to pick one up. I've been using a mid tier phone the last 2 years, HTC One A9 and it was basically fine for me needs. I picked it up for $300 and thought it was a great value.

Obviously, there is no comparison between the A9 and the PH-1. This phone is incredible and I love it. It just feels incredible in my hand. As everyone has said, the build quality is beautiful. The camera, IMO, is really nice. I haven't taken many pictures yet, but they are better than what I was getting on the A9 so I'm happy. This is first and foremost a phone. It also does lots more and does it very well.

The most important thing for me is the form factor. I absolutely hate the big phones. I don't want to put a tablet to my ear to take a call. This phone is slightly smaller than the A9 but the screen is nearly .75 of an inch big. Incredible! The loss of the headphone jack is no big deal to me. I love the sound using the C adapter as well as with my Bluetooth ear buds. This phone does all I care about and does it well!

Great job to Essential and keep the updates coming to make it even better!

Last edited:

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess at this point I'm cynically tempering my enthusiasm for the sequel, after the pixel so many of us said "so close can't wait for Pixel2" . . well hasn't that been a train wreck (at least for some)

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought this on Black Friday for a great price. I also have pixel 2. Since I bought this my pixel 2 is in the drawer. I just love the look of this phone.

Camera is a lot better on pixel 2. Other than that I don't miss anything

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought this on Black Friday for a great price. I also have pixel 2. Since I bought this my pixel 2 is in the drawer. I just love the look of this phone.

Camera is a lot better on pixel 2. Other than that I don't miss anything

I have the same 2 phones - Essential and Pixel 2. Like you, the P2 is in the drawer right now. But yeah, camera is way better on the Pixel. But battery and screen on the Essential are much better.

Randy Ohio

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I'm finding the battery life amazing on this phone. I'm consistently getting g in excess of 7 hours SOT. This phone flys through everything. I don't find the camera pics bad at all. I'm coming from an LG V10 which is supposed to have a good camera, and the results of the Essential pics is far better. The camera app has few features, and could be much better. The screen protector and case offerings for this phone sadly are terrible.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm finding the battery life amazing on this phone. I'm consistently getting g in excess of 7 hours SOT. This phone flys through everything. I don't find the camera pics bad at all. I'm coming from an LG V10 which is supposed to have a good camera, and the results of the Essential pics is far better. The camera app has few features, and could be much better. The screen protector and case offerings for this phone sadly are terrible.

For sure. The battery life is AMAZING. This was my use today.

Attachments

• 5052.jpg
    5052.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 64

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
What's cell service ate you using? Verizon works fine on my ph-1.. no issues transitioning from lte to wifi data.. send like more features are coming to the Oreo update. Visual voicemail and wifi calling looks to be supported in up coming update

I was using Verizon by way of Straight Talk. I did switch to Verizon's prepaid service while picking up a Pixel 2 after trading in an iPhone 7 I had lying around. I believe it was more a Straight Talk provision thing because when I placed my Straight Talk Sim in the Pixel 2 it didn't want to make calls or connect to LTE and I never had any issue swapping devices before.

So I'm going to get another PH-1 soon and probably sell the Pixel 2 for a discount on Swappa. The only thing stopping me is lack of an oleophobic screen coating and no screen protector options (which is the same issue for the Pixel 2 as well)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz