IMPORTANT things to look out for when buying a used phone!

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Ok, so as a number of you have probably seen in my other posts/comments, I got a used Galaxy A6+ a week ago as a holdover phone (my previous phone's display died and I need something to get me through the next 2 weeks until move back to the US and get a local phone there). I'm making this post both to share my experience and raise awareness of weird things that used phones might do to you.

So it all began when a week ago I went to a small local phone repair shop that also gets used phones from people who change their phones every 2 months to a year and then resells said phones. I walk in with my father and ask what kinda used phones they have that accept 2 SIM cards and an SD card simultaneously. I picked the A6+ because it was the cheapest, had very decent specs (SD450, 4GB RAM, AMOLED, etc...). So I walk out all happy and everything. I then pop my cards in and install DevCheck from a spare APK, only to notice the first weird thing: the CSC code was for the UAE (later noticed the country label in the About Phone screen). I then proceed as per usual to open the Play Store to login to my GMail. Well, it got stuck on Checking Info. So in a desperate measure I switch the mobile data from my normal Telenor internet-only card to the mt:s calls and texts card (which has some very limited data) and then the GMail login worked normally. So yeah, at this point I was already getting suspicious. I also noticed that most of the pics on the SD card that were taken with the previous phone were gone, although I highly doubt that has anything to do with this phone being used. So then a few days later I had the *genius* idea to check the Play Protect certification. Phone not certified. At this point I downloaded TWO SafetyNet testers and both said the phone doesn't pass. What the...?!?! So then I check the OEM Unlock (bootloader unlock) option in the dev settings and it was unlocked.

So at this point I don't know what to make of it. Aside from the aforementioned weird quirks, I got a pretty decent phone in good condition for half the original retail price. I have my suspicions as to why the bootloader is unlocked, but I'd like to hear from you guys what that might be all about. If you absolutely need SafetyNet passing and a locked bootloader (and any secure apps that check for this stuff), steer clear of used phones. If your use case is like mine where bootloader unlocking doesn't really affect me too much, then go ahead and get a used device but still be cautious.

P.S. Another anomaly I noticed using another app is that this phone I got is lacking the original CSC code, and only has the one for the firmware. This seems a bit shady.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only reason for unlocking the bootloader would be to install something that you can't install with the bootloader locked - TWRP (although I can't find TWRP for the A6+), a ROM (or an update from a downloaded file) or rooting the phone.

If the phone doesn't have the normal ROM, that's why the safety check failure. If it's rooted, unroot it (how to do that depends on what was used to root it - you may have to flash the stock firmware after you back everything up) then, if you still want it rooted, install Magisk (and the Magisk Manager from the same site). It passes the safety check.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
The phone reports Knox 0x0, firmware status "official" and the system updates work properly (just got a security patch yesterday). The ROM looks/quacks like a genuine Samsung ROM in all ways. Will check the recovery, but since the updates work I think it's probably the original.

Edit: The recovery is the normal one, looks very similar to that of my unmodified Tab S3.

Is it possible that this thing was FRP locked and that the phone shop somehow bypassed that by clean formatting the internal flash with ODIN and the flashing a random A6+ stock ROM without looking at which regional ROM variant it is?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The phone reports Knox 0x0, firmware status "official" and the system updates work properly (just got a security patch yesterday). The ROM looks/quacks like a genuine Samsung ROM in all ways. Will check the recovery, but since the updates work I think it's probably the original.

Edit: The recovery is the normal one, looks very similar to that of my unmodified Tab S3.

Is it possible that this thing was FRP locked and that the phone shop somehow bypassed that by clean formatting the internal flash with ODIN and the flashing a random A6+ stock ROM without looking at which regional ROM variant it is?
For the most part I think your going be ok, knox is not tripped, device status says official. Can check IMEI number in phone settings and compare to back of the phone. You said it got a update so that's good. Most international Samsung phones come with bootloader unlocked. If it has Samsung pay ,secure folder, see if it say unauthorized access.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Agreed. This is anyway just a holdover device so I'm probably fine. It has the secure folder which asks for login as expected when opened.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards