In "girl terms", explain to my mom why Android is better than an iPhone

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Screen size: TB, much easier to see.
Battery: iP4, no WAY is my mom gonna want to carry/swap a spare battery, open the phone, etc.
Keyboard: NEITHER, she'd much rather have a physical keyboard but the ones on BBs are too small
Apps: TB, way more free Apps for Andoird, she's not paying for an App. Ever.
GUI: iOS. It's just simpler. Not easier or better, just simpler.
NAV: Android, no contest.
Voice Recognition: Android, no contest.
Data: TB, for the chance to have grandfathered unlimited 4G @ $30/mo. when everyone else goes to tiered pricing.

I think the choice for my mom would be the Merge, if they ever effin release it already. Large screen, physical keyboard and presumably good battery life. I'd root it, strip the bloat, possibly de-Sense and streamline it nice, clear and simple for her.

If the iP4 had a larger screen and physical keyboard, I'd give her that.

If BB had a larger, slider landscape keyboard, that'd also be something to consider...

This is a great comparison..

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
better camera
more storage for those subsequently better pictures and movies
bigger screen
faster data connection
has a nifty little kickstand so you can watch your videos easier

i ono, that's what i told my brother who was gonna get an iPhone (basically word for word) and it convinced him to get a tbolt.

and let's not forget 4G! speed.

TnTexas

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I went in to buy an iPhone and walked out with a Thunderbolt.

The main things I love about it:
-- the large screen - makes reading things on it a bit easier than iPhone's smaller screen
-- coming from a dumb phone, I love the fact that I can make phone calls and memories (pictures and videos) with one device instead of having to carry around 3 different objects like I was before - the iPhone of course can do the same thing but it doesn't have ......
-- an 8 megapixel camera - figured that would make the pictures a bit clearer, especially on the zoom feature
-- the fact that the screens are highly customizable - I can make them look the way I want them to look; don't think you can really do that with the iPhone
-- the airplane mode - makes it easy to make sure the phone doesn't ring unexpectedly when you don't want it to (don't know if the iPhone has an option like that or not)
-- the large clock widget that comes pre-installed; love being able to tell what time it is at a glance - (don't know if the iPhone has a similar widget/app or not)
-- the voice option in place of the typing - (don't know if you can do that with the iPhone or not)
-- the speed with which things usually download - (don't know how that compares to the iPhone's downloading capabilities

The main things I didn't know about when I bought it and was disappointed to discover: can't play Netflix or Hulu on it. I've since worked around that by subscribing to PlayOn which works in conjunction with my PC so I've found a way to deal with it. But it's still a bit disappointing that it doesn't support them naturally.

As for the battery life being less and the learning curve being more difficult with an Android phone than an iPhone, I can't speak to that since I've never owned an iPhone. Coming from a "dumb phone" though, I didn't find the learning curve to be too bad. As for the battery life, I'm not a very heavy user so with the phone set to dim the display after a few seconds of non-use, I don't experience much of a problem with the battery life. I do have a phone charger for my car in case I should ever need it though.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a TB, IPhone 4, and a Charge. A lot of these comments are from Android fanboys. The TB camera is nowhere near the iPhone. It's been proven on YouTube numerous times. The TB screen is bigger but I found that the iPhone is just right. The 4g was nice on the TB so I give it that. I don't even need to mention maps on Android. It's waaaayyyy better. It's tries that Android has more free apps but those free apps aren't anything to write home about. How many voice recorders do you need. The iPhone apps I found to be better. They just work and have better graphics. No battery pulls on iPhone because of a terrible app. Also, the iPhone looks better. No plastic on the iPhone. Also, FB is so much better on iPhone. Have you ppl even used it? I have both. I do like the costumizations on Andriod. However, a jailbroken iPhone can do more. And jailbreaking is so easy. You download a program and in 5 mins you're jailbroken. I have the exact same notifications on my iPhone as I have on my TB. It all comes down to this, the iPhone just works. It's been out almost a yr and I haven't used a phone that compares with it. You get what u pay for. The customer service with Apple is great. Anything happens to you iPhone beside you abusing it, and you can just go to Apple and 9/10 times they will swap you out a new one right then. You can got to Htc and Verizon makes you ship it off. I'm just being honest.

mdoyal1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a TB, IPhone 4, and a Charge. A lot of these comments are from Android fanboys. The TB camera is nowhere near the iPhone. It's been proven on YouTube numerous times. The TB screen is bigger but I found that the iPhone is just right. The 4g was nice on the TB so I give it that. I don't even need to mention maps on Android. It's waaaayyyy better. It's tries that Android has more free apps but those free apps aren't anything to write home about. How many voice recorders do you need. The iPhone apps I found to be better. They just work and have better graphics. No battery pulls on iPhone because of a terrible app. Also, the iPhone looks better. No plastic on the iPhone. Also, FB is so much better on iPhone. Have you ppl even used it? I have both. I do like the costumizations on Andriod. However, a jailbroken iPhone can do more. And jailbreaking is so easy. You download a program and in 5 mins you're jailbroken. I have the exact same notifications on my iPhone as I have on my TB. It all comes down to this, the iPhone just works. It's been out almost a yr and I haven't used a phone that compares with it. You get what u pay for. The customer service with Apple is great. Anything happens to you iPhone beside you abusing it, and you can just go to Apple and 9/10 times they will swap you out a new one right then. You can got to Htc and Verizon makes you ship it off. I'm just being honest.

Have you tried to pull a battery on an iPhone?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
mdoyal1- you state that we're all android fan boys but have you stepped back and evaluated your own fan boy status? Clearly you're swayed in some directions, ex- a jailbroken iphone is really better than a rooted android?
Not hard at all to auto root a bolt if someone has more than a few brain cells and the desire to do it.

YoungCorruption

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
mdoyal1- you state that we're all android fan boys but have you stepped back and evaluated your own fan boy status? Clearly you're swayed in some directions, ex- a jailbroken iphone is really better than a rooted android?
Not hard at all to auto root a bolt if someone has more than a few brain cells and the desire to do it.

gotta agree... a jailbroken iphone does pretty much what a normal android phone does without rooting it. sure there are a couple of things it can't do but if you root your TB then jailbreaking has nothing on it

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
At work I keep going up to the all the iPhone users and popping out my kickstand and setting my phone in front of them while playing a YouTube video of The Simpson's Nelson going "HA HA!" at full volume pointing towards the screen and ask them "Hey, can you prop your iPhone up like that?"

Thats always fun :)

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
gotta agree... a jailbroken iphone does pretty much what a normal android phone does without rooting it. sure there are a couple of things it can't do but if you root your TB then jailbreaking has nothing on it

What more can a rooted TB do that a jailbroken iPhone can't? Nothing really. Remember, I have a TB, Charge (just sold), and iPhone 4. I played with rooted Android phones. There wasn't anything extra that just blew away the iPhone. I know about custom ROMs and all that. The point is, my iPhone didn't need to be tinkled with. Out the box it was already fast, no lagging, and awesome graphics. Also, remember, Andriod is not a phone it is an operating system so having kickstand has nothing to do with Andriod. That's something on HTC's part. Don't get me wrong, Android is great. It's just all the stuff the the phone companies add that slows it down like Samaungs Touchwise or HTC's Sense. Back to the topic, it's basically what the buyer wants. Pol that say that Andriod will walk all over iOS are basically just not telling the truth. That goes both ways. I just tend to pay attention to small stuff that bothers me with Andriod like the pinch to zoom. Its not as smooth as the iPhone or even switching screens. That may have more to do with HTC than the Andriod operating system.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, remember, Andriod is not a phone it is an operating system so having kickstand has nothing to do with Andriod.

I'm sure the OP was asking for anything based on why Android > iPhone. He wasn't too specific. I find it humorous it can stand up on its own and i enjoy giving my coworkers a hard time. Totally awesome and amazing? Not really. Fun gimmick? Can be. Dealbreaker? No.

:D

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
But let her play with each phone and choose. Different ppl like different things. My wife uses a TB and my main phone is an IPhone 4. It's all up to the user. If I couldn't jailbreak my iPhone I can honestly say it wouldn't be my main phone right now. I just wish iPhone had Andriods map app. Man that was awesome. A free turn by turn nav. I still love that on the TB. Even paid iPhone nav apps don't compare because they arent as integrated as Andriod's map app. Also, I think the problem with Android is their software has to work for 40+ different phones. If Andriod could focus their software just for a few phones I think it would be that much better. Oh well.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Top 5 that I can see the advantages of a rooted Android over a jailbroken iPhone:

1) Full Control - You have access to alter any system files, use themes, change boot images, delete annoying stock apps, such as Sprint’s NFL Mobile live and Nascar Sprint Cup Mobile, and other various native applications that might drive you crazy (Footprints, Voice Dialer, etc).

2)Back Up The System - On most rooted Android devices, you can back up your entire system to an SD card, much in the same way you can image a hard drive. This is great if you’d like to try a new ROM, as you can back up your phone, wipe it completely, flash the new ROM, and if you don’t like it, you can just restore from your backup and your phone will be exactly how it was before you wiped it.

3)Save Space On Your Phone

Move cache data to SD card
Moving cache data makes for a speedy system. Rooting allows you to save things like browser cache to your SD card to free up space. Its not too complicated a process, but does take a bit of skill. XDA Developer’s have instructions posted on their forum if you want to tackle the task, it is definitely worth it.
Move installed applications to SD card
Moving and storing apps on internal memory can significantly slow your device down. If you root, you can avoid that completely.
The easiest way to move applications to your SD card would be to flash a custom ROM that just does it for you (using an app called Apps2SD) – Cyanogen ROM is always a good choice.

4)Run Special Applications such as:

Android-WiFi-Tether or Barnacle Wifi-Tethering – Probably the most useful applications you could utilize on a rooted device. They turn your rooted phone into a wireless access point so that you can effectively share your phone’s Internet connection with laptops and other devices near you, using WiFi or Bluetooth.
These apps are better than similar apps, such as PDANet or EasyTether, because you don’t have to run special clients on your computer and servers on your phone you can share a single connection between multiple devices
Super User – allows you to approve or deny root access to any application
Auto Memory Manager – kills tasks you wouldn’t be able to otherwise
Move Cache for Root – move cache for browser, market, maps, street view, and gmail onto SD card
Startup Manager – Clean up android system from system startup to boost system power and memory from the get go
SetCPU for Root Users – Overclocking your rooted device lets you speed up your phone’s processor when you are using it and lets you slow it down when it goes into "sleep" mode. It can either be a battery hog or battery saver.

5)Install Custom ROMs
The Android custom ROM scene started growing shortly after the first Android phone, the T-Mobile G1, was released. The ROMs that were initially available just offered a few tweaks here and there – access to developer only sections of the operating system, debugging information, and things of that nature.

Now, after the release of the G1, the Android ROM community has grown immensely and ROMs have been developed for most of the Android phones currently on the market.

They’ve gone far beyond simple tweaks and can now give your phone an entirely new look and feel. There are ROMs that can make your phone fly by replacing the kernel with hyper-optimized versions or even overclocking the CPU. The possibilities are nearly limitless and attempting to cover all of the features of all the ROM’s available for all of the phones out there would be pretty much impossible. If you’re interested in flashing a custom ROM on your phone, your best bet is to hit the Googles, search for "phonename custom ROM", see what comes up. You’ll likely find at least one forum dedicated to hacking your phone with plenty of information to get you started.

Now, you tell me if a jailbroken iPhone can do any of that other than getting free apps from cydia and pdanet for wifi.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Actully, yes. With ifile or using SSH I have access to system files. Being that iPhone only has internal storage I have no need to move apps to an sd card. Some research shows some apps run slower on the sd card. I dont know, just restating what I read. Also, iTunes backs up all my apps or data. Backup backsup all my jailbroken apps. Being that iOS is on one phone, there's not much more tweaking that needs to be done as far as optimizing the operating system because Apple only had to make it work for 1 phone. Honestly, both operating systems are just as equal. It's just a matter of what you want. On the iPhone websites, they blast Android. So it just depends on what site you on.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
More variety of phones

Bigger Screens

More customizations

Free apps

Google Music

Replaceable battery

Expandable memory

Real navigation with turn by turn directions(Voice)

Kickstand

WIDGETS

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Actully, yes. With ifile or using SSH I have access to system files. Being that iPhone only has internal storage I have no need to move apps to an sd card. Some research shows some apps run slower on the sd card. I dont know, just restating what I read. Also, iTunes backs up all my apps or data. Backup backsup all my jailbroken apps. Being that iOS is on one phone, there's not much more tweaking that needs to be done as far as optimizing the operating system because Apple only had to make it work for 1 phone. Honestly, both operating systems are just as equal. It's just a matter of what you want. On the iPhone websites, they blast Android. So it just depends on what site you on.

Good luck justifing ios on an android forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackybeny