In search of a modest upgrade over the Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

slobkabob

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
My Note 5 is slowing down and will eventually die. I'm looking to spend as little as possible on a new phone that doesn't have to be greatly superior to the Note 5. Just a marginal improvement is fine for something around $400 or less, preferably new and with ATT (US).

I haven't kept track of phones in 4+ years so I could use some recommendations to have in mind when the time comes. Samsung preferred but I'll keep an open mind to other manufacturers.
Thanks!

Edit: I'm now open to used phones and Samsung Note 9's on Amazon (renewed) are sub-$400. Anyone have experience with Amazon Renewed phones? Basically refurbished I think.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you want to stay with Samsung, then try the Galaxy S10e. You could also wait for the Note10 Lite, but I'm not sure how much that will cost when it's released.

If you want to consider something besides Samsung, then I would strongly recommend the Pixel 3a or 3a XL.

bryantj3303

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I got a Note 9 about six months ago and it's been a great phone and it should continue to get software support fur quite some time (including the Android 10 update. There are some recent reviews on this site giving it excellent marks.

Can't say much and let about buying via Amazon. I've had good experiences through Swappa. I've seen some Note 9's in the $300's and the listings include the phone's condition, carrier and pictures. Depending on how the previous owner used it, you may need to consider getting a new battery at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali