Ingress N00b Q&A

3lvi

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Just started today, and having trouble, probably because my phone is crap. Ingress hangs a lot, and once I finally got it to load I walked around for half an hour without finding any blue dots, though it was locating me perfectly. Then suddenly there were dots everywhere for a couple of seconds, and lots of vooming noises, and then they all vanished again... weird.

Anyway, is the compass thingie supposed to point to the nearest portal? How come it's stationary until I tap it, and then it starts to move around and point? Do I walk towards the red point or the white point? Is it okay to visit my own team's portals, or only opposite team's?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Try a fresh install, that isn't normal behaviour. The red on the compass is north. Press it once, and the compass in your phone automatically turns the screen based on where it's pointed. Press it again, it locks and you have to turn the screen around yourself, two fingers clockwise/counterclockwise. Your own team's portals will give you more items than the opposition, and you won't lose XP from the portal attacking you.
You should probably go to www.ingress/intel.com on your PC, dial in your area and find out where the portals near you are. You might not have many in your area, and in that case you should start submitting pictures for portals, as outlined here: Ingress Tip: How to Submit New Portals | Android Headlines - Android News, Phones, Tablets, Apps, Reviews, Rumors

They take over a month to get accepted and implemented in the game, so best to get started sooner than later. Expect a 75% rejection ratio, I know someone that submitted 160 pictures, 40 or so became portals.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The compass is only that the compass Lol. U find portals by either going to the ingress Intel map or download the realtime map from the play store

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2