Inherited a phone, questions

BarbarianCBX

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
My best friend inherited a Google Pixel 6,
Carrier is Consumer Cellular from his brother. He inherited all of his brothers possessions. He is the executor. He contacted Consumer Cellar to see if the phone was paid off. It was but there were two months for service owed ($56). He offered to pay out of the estate and wanted a receipt. Consumer Cellular said they could only send the receipt to his deceased brother's email. My friend doesn't know his brother's password to access his brother's email. If you have any knowledge how he can get a receipt when he pays Consumer Cellular, please let me know. Suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BarbarianCBX

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
What email did his brother use? They might have a process for next of kin to gain access in case of death.
He knows the email, has all the paperwork (death certificate, will, etc.). Spent a considerable amount of time talking to Consumer Cellular, but they insisted receipt could only go to his brother's email address. But they still wanted their $56. Like you said, there should be a process to handle this. Seems like it is a common occurrence. Suppose he'd owed $1500 for a phone?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not legal advise, but I'd be tempted to just not pay it. The device is paid off and hardly anything is owed, and they can't come after anyone personally. If they come after the estate, tell them you need a proper receipt as part of the deal. But that's just me.

I guess the question I have is why is it that important to get a receipt? I'm guessing it has to do with finalizing the matters of the estate, but would there be a problem simply paying it and not worry about the receipt?

I see a couple options. If possible, go to a brick and mortar store to pay the bill and close the account, and they should be able to print the receipt on the spot. If that isn't possible, get an invoice mailed to your friend. Pay with a check (even a cashier's check if necessary), and make a note in the memo section of what it's for. Attach the check stub to his copy of the invoice and put them with the other documents. It's not a true receipt, but will be strong evidence that it was paid and the bank will be able to see when the check is cashed.

Reactions: J Dubbs

BarbarianCBX

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Not legal advise, but I'd be tempted to just not pay it. The device is paid off and hardly anything is owed, and they can't come after anyone personally. If they come after the estate, tell them you need a proper receipt as part of the deal. But that's just me.

I guess the question I have is why is it that important to get a receipt? I'm guessing it has to do with finalizing the matters of the estate, but would there be a problem simply paying it and not worry about the receipt?

I see a couple options. If possible, go to a brick and mortar store to pay the bill and close the account, and they should be able to print the receipt on the spot. If that isn't possible, get an invoice mailed to your friend. Pay with a check (even a cashier's check if necessary), and make a note in the memo section of what it's for. Attach the check stub to his copy of the invoice and put them with the other documents. It's not a true receipt, but will be strong evidence that it was paid and the bank will be able to see when the check is cashed.
Good information. Thanks. He did get the account closed so they'd be no more monthly charges. Maybe his canceled check will work. But at this point he told them he's not paying the two months service unless he gets a receipt with all the information on it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
He knows the email, has all the paperwork (death certificate, will, etc.). Spent a considerable amount of time talking to Consumer Cellular, but they insisted receipt could only go to his brother's email address. But they still wanted their $56. Like you said, there should be a process to handle this. Seems like it is a common occurrence. Suppose he'd owed $1500 for a phone?
Unless the email provider is Consumer Cellular themselves (which I'm guessing it isn't -- more likely it'd be something like Gmail or Yahoo Mail), then it wouldn't be Consumer Cellular he'd have to talk to if he wants to access his brother's email. As an example, here's the help page from Google for relatives who are trying to access a deceased relative's account: https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/6357590?hl=en

So if he can gain access to his brother's email account, then Consumer Cellular could go ahead and send the receipt there and he'd be able to retrieve it.

BarbarianCBX

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Unless the email provider is Consumer Cellular themselves (which I'm guessing it isn't -- more likely it'd be something like Gmail or Yahoo Mail), then it wouldn't be Consumer Cellular he'd have to talk to if he wants to access his brother's email. As an example, here's the help page from Google for relatives who are trying to access a deceased relative's account: https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/6357590?hl=en

So if he can gain access to his brother's email account, then Consumer Cellular could go ahead and send the receipt there and he'd be able to retrieve it.
Awesome! I just sent this to Gary. Thank you!

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos