Inspire text issues, wants to delete thread just by backspacing!

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
HTC inspire, after the gingerbread update whenever im sending a text, if i go to backspace to correct a misspelled word it sends me to the delete entire thread page!
anyone have a fix? ive done a factory reset, no help!
Thanks

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I just recently posted about this bug in another thread.

"I have this bug when texting too. With me, it happens if I open the keyboard before switching to landscape. I just make sure I don't open the keyboard until I have rotated the phone to landscape mode. Although, sometimes I forget and then it is really annoying."

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

mcmichalke

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Inspire text issues, wants to delete thread just by backspaci

Have this problem too and it's driving me nuts!! Anyone have a solution to fix what the update broke that wasn't broken?

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Count me among the ones having this issue.

One of MANY aggravations to spring up after The Update.

Coldor

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

So far this is the only issue I've had with the Gingerbread Update. Any news on what we can or should do to fix it? Also, are there any good third party text messaging apps that I can use until the standard one is fixed?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

You can always just download Handcent, it's much better than the stock app anyway. I know it's not a fix, but it removes the frustration of the problem. *Be sure to change it to the default messaging app in the settings.

ilkug

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

I have this problem too sometimes, but I've noticed it seems to only be when I type too fast..... meh

shortandcurved

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

taking the battery out and putting it back in seems to have worked for me (my problem was while texting my backspace button would take me to the delete message screen). When taking the lid off the phone it is easier to get your fingernail behind the volume button rather than the little designated slot, or use both to pop it off.

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

None of these to include a factory reset have worked! So frustrating and all ATT says is we can give you a replacement phone with the same software! does anyone know where to contact android directly to complain to them, usually if there is a bug its fixed pretty quick, i dont think this is getting the attention it needs!
:cool:

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
At this point, the best you can do is make sure you rotate the phone to the landscape position before you open the keyboard. This is one of two major bugs in the stock messaging app, with no fix. I'm quickly losing faith in HTC.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

None of these to include a factory reset have worked! So frustrating and all ATT says is we can give you a replacement phone with the same software! does anyone know where to contact android directly to complain to them, usually if there is a bug its fixed pretty quick, i dont think this is getting the attention it needs!
:cool:

Contact HTC tech support to complain about the bugs in the Gingerbread update. you don't have to call, you can do it from their website. I have already done so, and they say they are working on a fix. The more formal complaints they get, the better!:mad:

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I will take your advise and do so at their website, however; i just got off the phone with AT&T and they contacted HTC tech support, HTC told at&t their is no planned update or fix for this issue! what to do what to do, this is absolutely driving me insane im afraid to hit backspace even when typing on fartbook!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I will take your advise and do so at their website, however; i just got off the phone with AT&T and they contacted HTC tech support, HTC told at&t their is no planned update or fix for this issue! what to do what to do, this is absolutely driving me insane im afraid to hit backspace even when typing on fartbook!

I wouldn't believe AT&T contacted HTC. My experience with AT&T tells me that they're more likely to lie about doing something than do it. I emailed HTC tech support and received a reply stating that they were aware of the problems and were working with AT&T to get a fix pushed out.

XB12SS

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

im so glad to have found this thread. i thought i was the only one and that it was my fat ass fingers pressing the wrong button. whats this other messaging app? where can i get it? thanks everybody

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
im so glad to have found this thread. i thought i was the only one and that it was my fat ass fingers pressing the wrong button. whats this other messaging app? where can i get it? thanks everybody

There are three you can look at- Handcent, GoSms, and ChompSms. They are free in the Market.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I contacted AT&T and they advised me (as they always do for any problems that I have) to perform a factory reset. I called HTC U.S. Technical Support and they wanted me to complete a soft reset. As I had already done this they asked me to do a factory reset (as they always do) or send it in to them under their one year warranty. Per their warranty they request you to put a credit card on file in case you have placed an malicious software or have damaged the phone. I advise taking your phone in to AT&T to have them replace your device I suppose a temporary solution could be to use portrait mode or voice command to send text messages. HTC told me that they are aware of the software "glitch". Best of luck to anyone experiencing this frustrating problem!

Last edited:

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I contacted AT&T and they advised me (as they always do for any problems that I have) to perform a factory reset. I called HTC U.S. Technical Support and they wanted me to complete a soft reset. As I had already done this they asked me to do a factory reset (as they always do) or send it in to them under their one year warranty. Per their warranty they request you to put a credit card on file in case you have placed an malicious software or have damaged the phone. I advise taking your phone in to AT&T to have them replace your device I suppose a temporary solution could be to use portrait mode or voice command to send text messages. HTC told me that they are aware of the software "glitch". Best of luck to anyone experiencing this frustrating problem!

You don't have to stay in portrait mode. You won't experience this in landscape mode as long as you don't open the keyboard before positioning the phone in the landscape position.

coffeebaby

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Wow I was having same issue but couldn't figure out why it only happened with certain contacts. Just did several tests and it definitely only happens if I open keyboard before rotating to landscape mode. Thanks guys! Now if only HTC would fix it! I also have some contacts I still can not text at all (won't send... Just saves drafts in a folder) but I think the fix is to add a plus sign to the number or something.... I am just waiting for those folks to text me first so I can hit reply lol thanks again this bksp issue was driving me crazy!

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

SOOO here is how i fixed it Gosms! Ive contacted HTC and this was their suggestion as well! I dont think they are doing anything to fix the glitchy crap we call Gingerbread ! sucks but whatever ill change to a different android phone when i can! And not an HTC!

Kinger1613

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

This isn't random so if you want to continue to use the htc messenger you can avoid this glitch. The glitch happens when you reply to a message and open up the keyboard in portrait mode then switch the landscape mode, then when you hit the backspace it will open up "delete by selection". To avoid this problem simply open up the keyboard in landscape mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88