[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Verizon Will Honor Upgrades From This Past Weekend, Unlimited Data Shall be Kept

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/30/verizon-will-honor/

"Over the past weekend, there was a software issue involving some orders for customers seeking to upgrade their devices. A number of customers who were upgrading devices were able to maintain an unlimited monthly data feature while paying a subsidized price.

Verizon Wireless will honor those orders that were approved this past weekend, allowing those customers to retain their unlimited plans for the duration of their contract and receive their new device.

Verizon Wireless corrected this software issue today (9/30). The company no longer offers unlimited data plans and customers who want to retain existing unlimited data plans, must pay full retail price for a replacement phone."​

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Only the brave and only the bold!

Congratulations to those who took the risk and got you unlimited, without the loophole!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm still a little bit confused. I haven't received my 16GB Gold iPhone 5S that I transfered the unlimited data line to the tiered data line yet. I did receive a 32GB iPhone from another line (tiered data already) and activated if via the 1-877-807-4646 Initiate 4G LTE service instructions that came with the phone. (but the 32GB iPhone was for the another tiered data line so I wasn't doing any loophole on that phone)

Now when my Gold Iphone 5S 16GB finally arrives (this is the verizon transferred upgrade (from my unlimited data line) I used to transfer to my other tiered data.

When it arrives, if I call the 877 number it will ask for the phone number agreeing to the contract. Do I punch in my unlimited data number? Or do I punch in my tiered data line that's receiving the phone (I assume the tiered data line's new 4G LTE nano sim) that came preinstalled is for the transferred line (the tiered data line). So which number should I punch in when calling the 877 number?

Now if I were to activate the phone directly online via my verizon. Do I activate it directly onto the tiered data line and also input the nano sim's ID numbers as well? (the transferred line has a iphone 4s tiered data currently so doesn't have a 4g lte sim).

I am very confused with the agreeing to contract and activating steps. I plan on leaving the new iPhone 5S permanently on the tiered data line. My unlimited data line that I used to transfer the upgrade has the LTE sim in my Verizon iPad 100% of the time and I plan on keeping it that way.

So what steps do I do to 1. Agree to 2 year contract 2. Activate the phone.

The reason I am confused is guy on Howard Forums said he tried to call the 877 number and punch in the tiered data line to accept the 2 year extension and the system accepted it but when he went to activate the phone on his tiered data line, it wouldn't accept it. Only when he punched in his unlimited data line on the 877 number prompt did it finally accept it.

I'm not that familiar with activating by phone calling 877 number. When you transfer the upgrade to your tiered data line you would have selected a plan then. When you get the phone go online and activate the phone on the tiered data line. If the existing phone on the tiered data line has a 4G SIM you can put that in the new phone, if not you will need the number from the 4G SIM card that comes with the phone as well as the MEID of the phone itself. Once it is activated and you confirm it online, put your original tiered data phone back on that line. Then take the now free'd new smartphone and put it on your ulimited data line. If it won't let you and if your current phone on the unlimited data line has a compatible 4G SIM you can put that in the new Smartphone and it will allow you to.

aneftp

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm not that familiar with activating by phone calling 877 number. When you transfer the upgrade to your tiered data line you would have selected a plan then. When you get the phone go online and activate the phone on the tiered data line. If the existing phone on the tiered data line has a 4G SIM you can put that in the new phone, if not you will need the number from the 4G SIM card that comes with the phone as well as the MEID of the phone itself. Once it is activated and you confirm it online, put your original tiered data phone back on that line. Then take the now free'd new smartphone and put it on your ulimited data line. If it won't let you and if your current phone on the unlimited data line has a compatible 4G SIM you can put that in the new Smartphone and it will allow you to.

Think I got it. So I will just try to activate online to the tiered data line and also input the new nano sim id number that's pre installed in iPhone 5s. Since its a transferred upgrade. When I activate the phone that's means I have agreed to the contract extension on my unlimited line. And activating phone on tiered data completes the process? I plan on leaving then iPhone 5s on that tiered data line (that line had iPhone 4S which will become deactivated. . I am not moving it any where since I use my unlimited data plan lte sim in my verizon iPad.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Think I got it. So I will just try to activate online to the tiered data line and also input the new nano sim id number that's pre installed in iPhone 5s. Since its a transferred upgrade. When I activate the phone that's means I have agreed to the contract extension on my unlimited line. And activating phone on tiered data completes the process? I plan on leaving then iPhone 5s on that tiered data line (that line had iPhone 4S which will become deactivated. . I am not moving it any where since I use my unlimited data plan lte sim in my verizon iPad.

Yes, since you are leaving it on the line then just keep it on the tiered line when you activate it. I'm not sure if 4S and 5S use the same SIM but if so you can just use the one from the 4S and keep the unactivated 4G SIM that comes with the phone as a spare. You've extended your contract on the unlimited line for 2 years but since you've transferred your upgrade and activated the phone on the other line you won't lose unlimited data on that line.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I just need my Note 3 to get here so I can get it activated before something goes awry...

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I just need my Note 3 to get here so I can get it activated before something goes awry...

I know the feeling. My Verizon Galaxy Nexus keeps doing the random reboot thing. Probably could fix it will a factory reset but don't want to go through trouble of setting up all the programs, widgets again when only a little more than a week for release of the Verizon Note 3.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I know the feeling. My Verizon Galaxy Nexus keeps doing the random reboot thing. Probably could fix it will a factory reset but don't want to go through trouble of setting up all the programs, widgets again when only a little more than a week for release of the Verizon Note 3.

I'm in the same boat with my Droid Razr Maxx. Just waiting it out to avoid the hassle.

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Is activating supposed to take a while? Dad's phone is off, and it's just sitting on the waiting to activate screen for a while. I've rebooted a couple times just in case but still nothing.

givenz

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

I added a new line then went to store to pick up phone and told him I didn't want phone activated and he said ok but then I left store and now realize it's activated on the newly created 3rd line other two are unlimited. So is this a problem?

pimfram

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Is activating supposed to take a while? Dad's phone is off, and it's just sitting on the waiting to activate screen for a while. I've rebooted a couple times just in case but still nothing.

And it failed. I pulled the SIM and restarted, we'll see what happens.

And another fail. Pulled the SIM for longer this time and made sure it had a solid connection before continuing to activation. Fingers crossed.

Last edit. Used the chat support, and apparently the phone that was loaded in the phone shouldn't have been there and there was a working SIM in the box that I didn't see. Problem solved, just need to activate it on my account now.

Last edited:

givenz

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

ok back on my pc to tell details and need some help so i dont screw this up.

Line 1: unlimited iphone4s
Line 2: unlimited thunderbolt
Line 3: 2gb LG G2

I added line 3 yesterday and chose in store pickup. I told the sales associate I just wanted to pick up phone and I would activate it at home. He said that was fine but then when he checked me out apparently he had problems processing the billing without activating it so he did so at the store. Does that screw up the transferring process?

I would like to move the G2 to line 2. Do I just swap out the sim card from the thunderbolt and pop it in the G2?

I have a old dummy phone LG Voyager to put on line 3 after swapping.

Please someone help refer to a post with the instructions or repeat the exact steps here so I don't screw this up. Thanks so much.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

ok back on my pc to tell details and need some help so i dont screw this up.

Line 1: unlimited iphone4s
Line 2: unlimited thunderbolt
Line 3: 2gb LG G2

I added line 3 yesterday and chose in store pickup. I told the sales associate I just wanted to pick up phone and I would activate it at home. He said that was fine but then when he checked me out apparently he had problems processing the billing without activating it so he did so at the store. Does that screw up the transferring process?

I would like to move the G2 to line 2. Do I just swap out the sim card from the thunderbolt and pop it in the G2?

I have a old dummy phone LG Voyager to put on line 3 after swapping.

Please someone help refer to a post with the instructions or repeat the exact steps here so I don't screw this up. Thanks so much.

Ok, I think I can help you with this.

You're going to have to go back to the Verizon at some point so you can get a Micro Sim activated on Line 2. But before you do that...

1) Call Verizon, and put the dummy phone (LG Voyager) back on Line 3. Make sure there is no data plan on it.

2) As soon as the LG Voyager phone is activated, go back to the Verizon store and ask for a new micro SIM so that you can activate the G2 on Line 2 (by now, you realize that the SIM cards are different sizes, and I will not be making any mention of cutting SIMs or any of that...) Also, you don't have to bring your Thunderbolt with you, and you can leave the SIM that is currently in your G2phone at home. They're going to give you a new SIM and do a "DEVICE SWAP" (make sure you tell the Verizon guy this...you're doing a "DEVICE SWAP.") After a few minutes, they will program a new SIM for you and you should have a new phone on the unlimited data plan. MAKE SURE THAT YOU STATE THAT YOU'RE NOT CHANGING PLANS...YOU'RE DOING A DEVICE SWAP!

If you don't feel comfortable going to the Verizon store you went to earlier, go to a different one for #2. But make sure it's a corporate Verizon store. No Premium or Authorized reseller...an actual Verizon store.

If you have questions, or something is unclear, let me know.

givenz

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

Ok, I think I can help you with this.

You're going to have to go back to the Verizon at some point so you can get a Micro Sim activated on Line 2. But before you do that...

1) Call Verizon, and put the dummy phone (LG Voyager) back on Line 3. Make sure there is no data plan on it.

2) As soon as the LG Voyager phone is activated, go back to the Verizon store and ask for a new micro SIM so that you can activate the G2 on Line 2 (by now, you realize that the SIM cards are different sizes, and I will not be making any mention of cutting SIMs or any of that...) Also, you don't have to bring your Thunderbolt with you, and you can leave the SIM that is currently in your G2phone at home. They're going to give you a new SIM and do a "DEVICE SWAP" (make sure you tell the Verizon guy this...you're doing a "DEVICE SWAP.") After a few minutes, they will program a new SIM for you and you should have a new phone on the unlimited data plan. MAKE SURE THAT YOU STATE THAT YOU'RE NOT CHANGING PLANS...YOU'RE DOING A DEVICE SWAP!

If you don't feel comfortable going to the Verizon store you went to earlier, go to a different one for #2. But make sure it's a corporate Verizon store. No Premium or Authorized reseller...an actual Verizon store.

If you have questions, or something is unclear, let me know.

Thank you so very much. Sounds pretty simple but is there anything I should tell them on the phone why I am dumping the new G2 on the 3rd line already in case they ask. I had never activated the Voyager on the 3rd line as I just added it.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Thank you so very much. Sounds pretty simple but is there anything I should tell them on the phone why I am dumping the new G2 on the 3rd line already in case they ask. I had never activated the Voyager on the 3rd line as I just added it.

"My _____ hates the size and complexity of the G2 and just wants a simple phone. ______ finds the G2 difficult to use. "

They should just switch it with no questions ask, but if they do, that's what you tell them. Also, make sure the data plan is removed when you make that switch to the LG Voyager.

aslander

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I've read through a lot of this thread, but think things have changed. I think Verizon has blocked the ability to do this somewhat.

I have a single unlimited line with upgrade eligible. (not a shared plan, no other lines, etc)

I tried to add a line through VZW's site, but it will only let me convert to a shared plan and therefore remove the unlimited plan. There is no way that I can find to add a new line without putting it on the shared plan. Does anyone know of another way to add a line to a single line account and just pay the $10/month fee?

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Hi, I've read through a lot of this thread, but think things have changed. I think Verizon has blocked the ability to do this somewhat.

I have a single unlimited line with upgrade eligible. (not a shared plan, no other lines, etc)

I tried to add a line through VZW's site, but it will only let me convert to a shared plan and therefore remove the unlimited plan. There is no way that I can find to add a new line without putting it on the shared plan. Does anyone know of another way to add a line to a single line account and just pay the $10/month fee?

You should be able to just go into a store and do this.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

So is the loophole dead or what?

I hope not - This Thursday I plan on transferring and upgrade off of an unlimited iPhone5 to a feature phone line and get the Note 3 and put it on my unlimited line replacing my Razr Maxx HD. If it doesn't I will be paying the full price and using their device payment plan to pay for it...

No way am I giving up my two $9.99/month unlimited data lines...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry