[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Can you do the transfer via the my verizon app on your device by chance? I was poking around in there tonight but couldn't find anything but maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

Last, i thought i understood that maybe you could do it as well via best buy or did i misunderstand?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Don't go to the store! When I bought my Turbo and wanted to keep my UDP they told me it was physically impossible and there was nothing even remotely possible he could do about it and that Verizon was forcing them to force everyone into tiered plans. I went home and called customer service and she said it was totally no problem at all and didn't know why the store couldn't do it.

BrownSuperman

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. I get the spinner when trying to access the upgrade section. DC/MD area. :-\

I've run into this message now:

There was an error with one of our systems and we're working on it now. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again in a few minutes.

camaroqqq

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

So strange what is happening....

line 1: TDP 6GB - no upgrade
line 2: UDP - Upgrade Available
line 3: TDP 2GB - no upgrade

Wen't online yesterday, transferred upgrade, then it instantly showed UDP plan as a 6GB plan, so i clicked undo transfer.

Then it was showing All plans as UDP plans with all the same data used so far (the UDP data)...just now I clicked transfer upgrade again, it transferred, then I signed out (was going to buy phone from line 1 tomorrow). Now I sign in, and the UDP still shows as the one with the upgrade, there is no undo transfer link.

I think the site is just jacked up, because if i click under my verizon, I have to click on the device and hit refresh to show the correct plan (6GB, UDP, 2GB) but once clicking another phone the plan info doesn't refresh.

Just to be sure, transferring from UDP shouldn't drop it to a 2GB or 6GB plan correct?

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

For the others on here. spoke with some IT person at verizon and they believe it is down because of the changes that are coming on the 13th and may be down until then. seems however, that this is only affecting some of us while others can still get through. might be sol if like me, i need to do something in the next 36 hours.

Meadowlands

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

Wondering if they will let grandfathered people keep upgrading past the date or should I just upgrade now?.

Last edited:

dragonflyjohnson

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site

Your edit is right on the money, though, I would use Line 4 since it is a phone line. Just do the following:

1.) Online through Best Buy or Verizon, transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 4 and order the new smartphone. Have it shipped to home.
2.) When it arrives, just activate the new smartphone on Line 4 and wait an hour
3.) Now, reactivate the old basic phone
4.) Activate the new smartphone on Line 1

You can do all of this from home online through My Verizon. Going this route will put Line 1 in a new 2 year contract, but not affect the unlimited data.

I don't know how I went this long without coming back to say thank you! Initially, I had some issues getting the new phone activated (using an old sim from my Ultra which wasn't the current device listed for my line) but after a quick call and chat session with vzw I was able to get everything done. I probably should've just activated using the new sim as you suggested. Thanks again for all your help!

DarshOne

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

at my local Costco in Humboldt County, CA the Wireless Advocates kiosk has let me upgrade and keep my unlimited verizon data 3 times now. I believe they are using a similar exploit. I have 2 lines on a family share plan, however both lines are smartphones. 1 with unlimited and 1 with a 2gb plan.

olson2334

May 30, 2012
Visit site

DarshOne I wonder if going to a verizon authorized reseller would work in my case vs the corp verizon stores perhaps? In my case it seems I simply need to transfer that dang upgrade is all really. buy the phone on my second line accepting a 2 gb plan and call it good. Bring the phones home and make the swap right. I know from what others have said and from personal experience that it seems when you go to the corp store in my case that god only knows what they are doing to my account while we get the crap setup and unfortunate for you the plan was switched right.

dawnmo

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

Question, please.

My husband has a dumb phone with an upgrade available. I have an S5 UDP (with upgrade available.) Can I use his upgrade to purchase an IPhone 6 and then transfer that to my line with UDP and then activate my old S5 onto his line?

daily4x4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks to everyone for all this helpful information .
This is my situation I am on the Plan: NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 2000

line 1 has an samsung s5, udp and is upgrade eligible, month to month
line 2 has a flip phone and no plan or upgrade
line 3 has an iphone 4,udp and is upgrade eligible, month to month
line 4 has an iphone 5s,udp and is upgrade eligible.

I would like to maintain udp and upgrade line 1 to samsung s6 and line 3 to iphone 5s or 6. Can i obtain a nanosim card for line 3 by asking for sim for the iphone 5s saying i want to switch devices at the store, use it on line 3 for an hour then restore line 4 sim to iphone 5s on line 4. When I have a nano sim card for line 3 how to I go about upgrading without losing udp?

Sorry for wordiness and thanks in advance
Daily4x4

cruzmike89

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site

Does the best buy method still work? If so can someone tell me how to do it? What I have:

Line 1: iPhone 5-UDP- Upgrade
Line 2: S6 Edge- 2gb- Upgrade date at the end of the month.

I've been reading but not sure how it works. Do I upgrade on BB and when my new S6 gets here and just destroy that sim and use the one on my iphone on the S6? Or do I transfer my upgrade to line 2 and once its here active the new phone with the new sim on line 2 then wait an hour to switch S6 Edge back line 2 then put my sim on the s6? Can someone give me a step by step please if this still work?

Connor Hawk

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

Hi, I have been researching like crazy lately. My Galaxy S3 is taking a turn for the worst and I really want to upgrade but keep my UDP. I want to upgrade to the Droid Turbo, I'll have to cut my sim card down but first I need to know if this method still works right now?? With Verizon changing on the 13th I'm worried I waited too long. What effect will Verizon's changes have on me if I do go through with the BB method?? I was on a family plan with my mother but she left Verizon for the T-mobile pay off your contract deal. Now it is only me on the contract. Thank you!

Line 1: Nationwide Talk and Text 450 minutes, UDP, Unlimited texting. Samsung Galaxy S3.

Last edited:

nbam915

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Trying to figure out which method would work better for me BB or transfer upgrade through Verizon; I'm hoping to not have to change anything to the plan and want to upgrade the g3 to the g4.

line 1: Note 4 UDP no upgrade
line 2: G3 UDP upgrade available
line 3: basic phone no data no upgrade
line 4: basic phone no data upgrade recently used for the note 4 on BB

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

I get this warning message when I'm trying to upgrade my phone on Verizon

"Purchase of this smartphone requires a data plan (minimum of $30/ month) for the length of the service contract term, or you can move to our new MORE Everything pricing."

My current Email & Web Unlimited is $29.99. However, it doesn't seem to be forcing me to the MORE Everything plan. What is going on here?

Vapor916

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

Looks like I have to do the "Trick" before Thursday. My current phone is the Moto X 2013 and I just want to wi-fi tether using FoxFi. Hate having to plug in the USB all the time and then can't use my phone to text. The phone I want is the Note 3 but it is sold out online and is $200.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Do we have to order a phone from bestbuy right now to keep a UDP?

It seems I am able to transfer an upgrade on Verizon's website but it won't let me leave the transfer in effect unless I order the phone at that time?

Best Buy's site is not letting me transfer the upgrade. When i click on that link it just sends me to re-sign into my account.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I ordered a Galaxy S6. The tiered line is currently a Galaxy S4 and the unlimited line is currently a Moto X(2013)

You could activate the S6 directly onto the unlimited line if you want to based on the phones you already have. Both the Moto X and the S6 use a nano-SIM. You could remove the SIM that comes with the S6, power off the Moto X, and take the SIM from the Moto X and put it in the S6. When you power on the S6, this will activate it directly onto the unlimited line. This would allow you to avoid any confusion from your previous ordering.

I'm fairly confident that you could just activate the phone on the tiered line too. There should be a receipt that comes with the phone and it theory it should have a phone number on it. That should tell you what line you ordered on.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans