[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Do we have to order a phone from bestbuy right now to keep a UDP?

It seems I am able to transfer an upgrade on Verizon's website but it won't let me leave the transfer in effect unless I order the phone at that time?

Best Buy's site is not letting me transfer the upgrade. When i click on that link it just sends me to re-sign into my account.

You can't transfer an upgrade on Verizon's site and then order a phone through Best Buy. It doesn't work that way. Best Buy used to be the only other site that allowed online transfers, but lots of people are having problems getting them to go through.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I get this warning message when I'm trying to upgrade my phone on Verizon

"Purchase of this smartphone requires a data plan (minimum of $30/ month) for the length of the service contract term, or you can move to our new MORE Everything pricing."

My current Email & Web Unlimited is $29.99. However, it doesn't seem to be forcing me to the MORE Everything plan. What is going on here?

What are you trying to do? It sounds like you are trying to do the Best Buy Method through Verizon online.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Trying to figure out which method would work better for me BB or transfer upgrade through Verizon; I'm hoping to not have to change anything to the plan and want to upgrade the g3 to the g4.

line 1: Note 4 UDP no upgrade
line 2: G3 UDP upgrade available
line 3: basic phone no data no upgrade
line 4: basic phone no data upgrade recently used for the note 4 on BB

Either one would work just fine since the G3 and G4 both use a Micro-SIM. It will be easier to get the phone shipped by doing a transfer upgrade through Verizon as Best Buy is known to do some "quality assurance" checking. This is when you get an email from them saying something is wrong and they need to contact Verizon. If you want to make sure you get the phone before the 13th, I'd order through Verizon.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi, I have been researching like crazy lately. My Galaxy S3 is taking a turn for the worst and I really want to upgrade but keep my UDP. I want to upgrade to the Droid Turbo, I'll have to cut my sim card down but first I need to know if this method still works right now?? With Verizon changing on the 13th I'm worried I waited too long. What effect will Verizon's changes have on me if I do go through with the BB method?? I was on a family plan with my mother but she left Verizon for the T-mobile pay off your contract deal. Now it is only me on the contract. Thank you!

Line 1: Nationwide Talk and Text 450 minutes, UDP, Unlimited texting. Samsung Galaxy S3.

You are correct. You'll need to order the Droid Turbo from Best Buy before the 13th, cut your current SIM to nano-size, and then use it to activate the new phone. Odds are, if you wait, you'll lose this opportunity to use contract-pricing and will be restricted to either full price or the used market.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Does the best buy method still work? If so can someone tell me how to do it? What I have:

Line 1: iPhone 5-UDP- Upgrade
Line 2: S6 Edge- 2gb- Upgrade date at the end of the month.

I've been reading but not sure how it works. Do I upgrade on BB and when my new S6 gets here and just destroy that sim and use the one on my iphone on the S6? Or do I transfer my upgrade to line 2 and once its here active the new phone with the new sim on line 2 then wait an hour to switch S6 Edge back line 2 then put my sim on the s6? Can someone give me a step by step please if this still work?

You have two options before the 13th:

Best Buy Method
1.) Order the phone you want using the upgrade on Line 1 and have it shipped to home
2.) When it arrives, remove the SIM that ships with the new phone and destroy it
3.) Power off the iPhone 5 and remove its SIM.
4.) Take the SIM from the iPhone 5, put it in the new phone, and power on the new phone

Transfer upgrade through Verizon
1.) Through Verizon online, transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2. Order the new phone you want have it shipped to home
2.) When the new phone arrives, follow the directions that come with it to activate the phone on Line 2
3.) Wait an hour and make sure the new phone works
4.) Power off the new phone and reactivate the S6 edge. Power on the S6 edge
5.) Power off the iPhone 5 and activate the new phone on Line 1. Power on the new phone.

Those are your two methods. The transfer method will definitely get the phone to you in 2 days. Best Buy can cause some shipping problems, but it works for a lot of people.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

So can I do the transfer upgrade through Verizon, order a phone online from them then do the SIM card switch to keep my UDP?

What is the upside to doing it through Bestbuy?

Also I have a HTC ONE M7 now, I want to buy a Samsung S6 will my SIm card swap between these 2 phones?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks to everyone for all this helpful information .
This is my situation I am on the Plan: NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 2000

line 1 has an samsung s5, udp and is upgrade eligible, month to month
line 2 has a flip phone and no plan or upgrade
line 3 has an iphone 4,udp and is upgrade eligible, month to month
line 4 has an iphone 5s,udp and is upgrade eligible.

I would like to maintain udp and upgrade line 1 to samsung s6 and line 3 to iphone 5s or 6. Can i obtain a nanosim card for line 3 by asking for sim for the iphone 5s saying i want to switch devices at the store, use it on line 3 for an hour then restore line 4 sim to iphone 5s on line 4. When I have a nano sim card for line 3 how to I go about upgrading without losing udp?

Sorry for wordiness and thanks in advance
Daily4x4

You just need to do the Best Buy method twice and have a VAR help activate the new phone for Line 3.

1.) Order the s6 from Best Buy have it the phone shipped to home using the upgrade on Line 1
2.) When it arrives, remove the SIM card and destroy it
3.) Power off the s5 and remove its SIM card
4.) Cut the SIM card to a nano-size
5.) Put the freshly cut SIM card into the s6. Power on the s6.

For Line 3, your steps are slightly different:

1.) Order the iPhone 5s or 6 from Best Buy and have it shipped to home using the upgrade on Line 3 or 4. Personally, I would use Line 4's upgrade (you'll see why with the rest of the steps).
2.) When the iPhone arrives, remove the SIM and destroy it.
3.) Take the new iPhone to a VAR and have them activate it on Line 3 (this is why I recommend using Line 4).

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

So can I do the transfer upgrade through Verizon, order a phone online from them then do the SIM card switch to keep my UDP?

Also I have a HTC ONE M7 now, I want to buy a Samsung S6 will my SIm card swap between these 2 phones?

What is your plan, how many lines do you have, and what phones are on those lines?

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

What are you trying to do? It sounds like you are trying to do the Best Buy Method through Verizon online.

I'm a VZW employee, I used to be able to use subsidized upgrades for new phones and still maintain my Email & Web Unlimited data plan. Has that loophole since been closed?

My receipt seems to indicate that I still have the 1400 min Nationwide Talk & Text family share plan but I don't see a data plan listed anywhere.

As it doesn't appear this is a MORE Everything plan (and as I thought VZW wouldn't authorize the sale of a smartphone without a data plan), I moved forward with the order anyway and was planning on sticking the SIM from my Note 3 into my pending iPhone6+

That being said, if others feel this is a recipe for disaster and losing my unlimited plan, I'd happily cancel the order (it hasn't even been processed yet, it hasn't shipped, and I haven't taken delivery) and instead of gaming the system one last time for a subsidized upgrade, just wait to pay for my next phone full retail.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Question, please.

My husband has a dumb phone with an upgrade available. I have an S5 UDP (with upgrade available.) Can I use his upgrade to purchase an IPhone 6 and then transfer that to my line with UDP and then activate my old S5 onto his line?

Yours can actually be done in-store:

1.) Go to Verizon and upgrade the basic line to an iPhone 6. Let Verizon activate the new phone in-store for you.
2.) Leave that Verizon store and go to a VAR.
3.) Ask the VAR to switch the phones so that the iPhone 6 is on the unlimited line and the S5 is on the new tiered line (hypothetically, you could do this before leaving the Verizon store, but they might get a little fussy with you)

That's all you need to do. If your husband wants a newer phone that the S5, you could then transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to the tiered line and order him a new phone.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm a VZW employee, I used to be able to use subsidized upgrades for new phones and still maintain my Email & Web Unlimited data plan. Has that loophole since been closed?

My receipt seems to indicate that I still have the 1400 min Nationwide Talk & Text family share plan but I don't see a data plan listed anywhere.

As it doesn't appear this is a MORE Everything plan (and as I thought VZW wouldn't authorize the sale of a smartphone without a data plan), I moved forward with the order anyway and was planning on sticking the SIM from my Note 3 into my pending iPhone6+

That being said, if others feel this is a recipe for disaster and losing my unlimited plan, I'd happily cancel the order (it hasn't even been processed yet, it hasn't shipped, and I haven't taken delivery) and instead of gaming the system one last time for a subsidized upgrade, just wait to pay for my next phone full retail.

You can still game the system; however, if you plan on just doing the simple SIM swap, I strongly recommend either order the phone from Best Buy (if using the upgrade on your unlimited line) or using the upgrade on a different line in the plan.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Is it possible to go into the store and tell the person in the store to simply transfer my upgrade and leave it at that? Then come back home and do the rest.

It depends on the rep and the store. Some people have had luck by telling an elaborate story about wanting to surprise a loved one with an upgraded phone. It's definitely a YMMV type situation.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

With the possibility of losing the ability to buy a discounted device;

What about upgrading now, and profiting from the device (selling)?
Let's say I order a phone using my daughter's upgrade, should I never activate such phone and destroy the SIM?

You could definitely go that route.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I have the family talk and text 700 minutes
Line 1 HTC one M7 UPD upgrade available now
Line 2 Samsung flip phone upgrade avail 8/18/2015

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm finally getting caught up on this past weekend's postings and I saw your plan listing. Just do the following:

1.) Through Verizon online, transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 and order the new smartphone. Have it shipped to home
2.) When the new phone arrives do not try to charge it or turn it on.
3.) Log into Verizon online and select "activate or switch device"
4.) Choose the unlimited line
5.) Select "activate a device that has never been on the account before"
6.) Type in the IMEI and SIM numbers that came with the new smartphone
7.) Follow the rest of the activation instructions

If this method doesn't work, you'll have two more options:

1.) Cut your existing SIM to a nano as the m7 uses a micro
or
2.) Take the phone to VAR and have them activate it

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

Long time reader of this forum. Its amazing how many people you have helped with this.

I was hoping to wait till Fall to upgrade but I guess with these new looming changes it might make sense to just make changes now and not be too greedy.

1) Line 1 - S4 - UDP (Upgrade available)
2) Line 2 - S4 - TDP (Upgrade available)

I want to upgrade both to S6 Edge. I know that I need to upgrade line 2 first, activate that device, transfer that phone to Line 1. Then transfer upgrade from Line 1 to Line and do same steps again.

There are so many people here with different scenarios that its tough to figure out what exactly I should do.

Also if I upgrade Line 2, how long before its all processed. Will I be able to transfer line 2 upgrade to line 1 and upgrade that before Aug 13th.

Also, I know verizon wireless will work for Line 2, but how about in the store or at Costco and stuff as that is TDP.

I know there are many questions, sorry in advance but thanks for any help.

Here is how I would proceed:

1.) Upgrade line 2 in-store at any location that is offering the best deal on the s6 edge. Costco, Best Buy, Verizon would allow be fine.
2.) Once you have upgraded line 2, leave the store you are at
3.) Drive to the nearest VAR and ask them to reactivate the old S4 on Line 2 and move the new s6 edge onto Line 1

Now, do the transfer upgrade method through Verizon online. Move the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 2 and order the s6 edge. When the phone arrives just follow the activation instructions.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey all,

I hate to do this too. I usually find the answers to my problems by searching and or reading.

As has been stated, this thread is quite large as well as a bit confusing and somewhat intimidating with all the different scenarios.

I think my answer will be pretty simple but I want to be sure as I didn't see my scenario posted.

1) Line 1 - Droid Bionic - UDP - Upgrade Available
2) Line 2 - Droid Bionic - UDP - Upgrade Available

Both phones are out of contract. I think I read somewhere that Verizon's system see's the Bionic as a 3G phone so that may complicate my matter?

We are thinking about upgrading to either the S6 or G4 or maybe one of each.

I'm not sure what size sim cards we have now or what size are in the two phones we are thinking about.

Obviously with the impending changes coming there is some pressure to get this done asap. Can I assume if I get the phones ordered I before the change that I would be good to go even if I haven't taken delivery and activated yet?

If someone could be so kind as to hold my hand and walk me through step by step so I don't mess this up I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry to have to ask.

This will be tricky as the Droid Bionic has two things going against it: (a) the phone shows up as 3G in Verizon's system and (b) it uses a Mini-sized SIM (no phone in the last few years has been released with this SIM size). The good news is that you do have a two options that should work:

Cutting existing SIM
1.) Order the phones you want from Best Buy and have them shipped to home. Make sure to do this using two separate orders!
2.) When the new phones arrive, remove the SIM that ships with the phone and destroy it
3.) Cut your existing SIM to the correct size (by a SIM cutter from Amazon). The G4 uses a micro and the s6 uses a nano
4.) Put the freshly cut SIM card in the phone. Power on the new phone and give it a couple of minutes to activate.

You can also do this method through Verizon, but there is a big change in step one. You must use the upgrade on the opposite line for it to work. In other words, order the phone that Line 1 wants on the upgrade through Line 2 and vice versa.

Using a VAR
1.) Order the phones you want from Best Buy and have them shipped to home. Make sure to do this using two separate orders! Use the upgrade on the opposite line to order.
2.) When the new phones arrive, remove the SIM that ships with the phone and destroy it
3.) Take the new phone to a VAR and have them activate them on your lines

With this method, I would definitely use two different VARs and do one phone at a time. If possible, I would do order one phone and get it upgraded before doing the second line.

Finally, I would recommend intentionally order on the opposite upgrade and then trying the SIM cutting first. That way, if you make a mistake, you can use the VAR as a fall-back.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Sorry vm81, this isn't an answer to your question, but my situation is similar to yours with one added bit.

Much like vm81, I have 2 phones that I want to upgrade:

1) Line 1 - S4 - UDP (Upgrade Available) ---> S5 Desired
2) Line 2 - Dummy Phone (Upgrade Available) ---> iPhone Desired

As far as priorities of keeping UDP, I will upgrade Line 2 first and swap sims from New S5 to the Old UDP S4.

Afterward, I imagine I can do the reverse with the upgrading the Line 1 and getting a tiered iPhone plan.

So my questions, similar to vm81:

1) After I switch S4 to S5 first, is there any approximate time I would need to wait before swapping Dummy to iPhone?
2) Also, If I understand correctly, the final phones will essentially have switched phone numbers? Is this something that can be done to circumvent this? Or is there possibly a way to swap numbers back after the fact at a Verizon store?

Thanks guys, this is an extremely productive forum.

Yours is very easy to do:

1.) Upgrade Line 2 in-store to a S5. You can do this through Best Buy, Costco, Verizon, or wherever. Have the store activate the S5 so that Line 2 becomes a new tiered line.
2.) When you get home, power off both the S4 and S5.
3.) Swap SIM cards between the two phones. Now, power on both phones and wait a few minutes for activation.

This will put the S5 on Line 1 and the S4 on Line 2. Now, you just need to upgrade Line 2:

4.) Log into Verizon online and transfer the upgrade from Line to Line 2. Order the iPhone desired
5.) When the iPhone arrives, just follow the activation instructions that come with the phone

That's all you need to do to get the phones on the correct lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kazank