[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

DeathGrind

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hello all. Looking for some advice on how to lock in my UDP since i read the news they plan on forcing people out. I have 1 line basic nationwide talk with UDP, and am trying to find a way to lock into a 2 year contract. I don't care about getting a phone cheap/subsidized. I only have my one personal line. I have an option to upgrade since back in 2012. I read quite a bit of this thread, not all, and am just confused. Any ideas

Thanks

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Hello all. Looking for some advice on how to lock in my UDP since i read the news they plan on forcing people out. I have 1 line basic nationwide talk with UDP, and am trying to find a way to lock into a 2 year contract. I don't care about getting a phone cheap/subsidized. I only have my one personal line. I have an option to upgrade since back in 2012. I read quite a bit of this thread, not all, and am just confused. Any ideas

Thanks

Me too lol

DeathGrind

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I tried the best buy method, but only gave me the option to pick up in store. I was choosing the cheapest phone as i was just to trash it. I also tried the DPP (again cheapest phone) through verizon website and that didnt work as well.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I tried the best buy method, but only gave me the option to pick up in store. I was choosing the cheapest phone as i was just to trash it. I also tried the DPP (again cheapest phone) through verizon website and that didnt work as well.

What is DPP?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

If all you want to do is start a new two year contract buy a phone from Verizon and never use it on your account. You can buy something like a S7 and then sell it and have a profit.

DeathGrind

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I want to renew my former contract. Even just trying to buy a device at full retail via verizon will not let me keep the unlimited data, its the same process as DPP, neither will work.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I want to renew my former contract. Even just trying to buy a device at full retail via verizon will not let me keep the unlimited data, its the same process as DPP, neither will work.
Are you currently off contract?

DeathGrind

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Are you currently off contract?

Yes, been off contract since 2012. I'd really like to re up for 2 years as I live off grid and vzw is the only acceptable cell service and I sometimes hit what vzw deems extraordinary usage. vzw is my only option for internet and communication.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes, been off contract since 2012. I'd really like to re up for 2 years as I live off grid and vzw is the only acceptable cell service and I sometimes hit what vzw deems extraordinary usage. vzw is my only option for internet and communication.
Has Verizon contacted you?

DeathGrind

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Has Verizon contacted you?

Sorry for the delays between response.

They have not contacted me yet.

I sometimes work from home and have to send large files back and fourth, so my data usage is pretty high most of the time. If they do kick me then I won't be able to work from home any longer, as the cost to send the work back and fourth on a tdp would not be cost effective. Living off grid (well and solar power), miles away from anything resembling power lines/grid, vzw is truly my only option as other cell providers don't work.

I'd really like to lock into another 2 year contract on my UDP.

DeathGrind

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I was messing with the best buy site, finally found a phone that could ship. If I used my upgrade and only pay 1 dollar for the phone, have it shipped to my house, and never turn the phone on when it arrives and destroy the sim it comes with, would I retain UDP and be locked for 2 more years?

Thanks.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I was messing with the best buy site, finally found a phone that could ship. If I used my upgrade and only pay 1 dollar for the phone, have it shipped to my house, and never turn the phone on when it arrives and destroy the sim it comes with, would I retain UDP and be locked for 2 more years?

Thanks.

Yes, that should work.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

What phone did you find?

FDtruckman

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I went back some pages, but obviously not all. A couple of questions that I hope will be answered, (probably again).

Background: I have 1 line with UDP, out of contract, ugraded via the BB method 2 yrs ago, which I know no longer works anymore.

1. Is Verizon going to simply remove the UDP from us anytime soon? It seemed like that was the case in a few responses above.

2. There is talk of ordering a phone to sell it, and not activate it on your line (Which I know will cause you to lose your UDP). But the question is, Is there any reason to get back into a contract? Like will that remove the $20 UDP monthly charge?

3. Has there been talk of maybe partnering up with someone in your area to both upgrade, and then simply swap phones? Say I want the Samsung Galaxy S7, and 'Mary' wants an Iphone 6. I order the Iphone 6, and she orders the Samsung S7, then we simply meet up and swap phones (after destroying the sim cards of course).

Thanks...

bunklung

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

I just did this on Sunday. I have only one line with an UDP. Contract extended to 7/17/2018, upgrade date now 7/17/2018. My plan is the same old plan at the same old and lower rate. I got the phone two days later and destroyed the SIM and intend to sell the S7. It was $99, but today they dropped the price to $50 and they price matched me when I called their customer service line.

FDtruckman

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I just did this on Sunday. I have only one line with an UDP. Contract extended to 7/17/2018, upgrade date now 7/17/2018. My plan is the same old plan at the same old and lower rate. I got the phone two days later and destroyed the SIM and intend to sell the S7. It was $99, but today they dropped the price to $50 and they price matched me when I called their customer service line.

So you were out of contract, and paying the additional $20 UDP fee, then got the new phone from BB, and now are back in contract for two years and the $20 fee is gone?

limit.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

So you were out of contract, and paying the additional $20 UDP fee, then got the new phone from BB, and now are back in contract for two years and the $20 fee is gone?
Thanks for asking this question. I would like to know also how to remove the $20 udp fee without losing unlimited.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

No, if you have the increase already then you are stuck. If you don't have it then you can use a loophole to keep the lower rate

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjalishri