Invisible Shield WORTH every cent

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I like Ghost Armor. It's very similar to Invisible Shield and is sold/installed at mall kiosks. More expensive, though at $45 for the full-body set (including installation).

Sorry, I guess I just don't see the point, for that amount of cash why not just get an Otterbox Defender which will cover everything including the screen because it's not like a thin layer of plastic is going to help on a drop & the screen is not any more scratch resistant with it on.

As a matter of fact, I would argue the screen would look WORSE in the event something abrasive rubs the screen with a screen protector on because that actually WILL scratch!

To each their own, but I just think they are a waste of $ & would rather invest in a good case.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I just don't see the point, for that amount of cash why not just get an Otterbox Defender which will cover everything including the screen because it's not like a thin layer of plastic is going to help on a drop & the screen is not any more scratch resistant with it on.

As a matter of fact, I would argue the screen would look WORSE in the event something abrasive rubs the screen with a screen protector on because that actually WILL scratch!

To each their own, but I just think they are a waste of $ & would rather invest in a good case.

A case, any case, adds bulk. The idea behind the films is not to provide impact protection, but rather scratch protection without adding bulk to the device. If something would scratch the film, it would have instead scratched the device. And yes, the screen is more scratch resistant. If for no other reason than the screen protector took the damage instead of the screen.

If impact protection is what you need, then go with the Otterbox it'll serve you better. But if you do not need that much protection and you're concern is merely from scratches from everyday use, then an Invisible Shield or Ghost Armor film is what you need.

bor999

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

That's what happened to my screen protector.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
What would have happened to the screen if it didn't have that protection? Do you think it would have been OK or would it have been scratched?

Have you seen scratch tests of Gorilla Glass on the internet? They have people taking sharp screws & razor blades to the screens & absolutely no scratches come of it. I don't know about you, but the sharpest thing I ever have in my pocket are my keys.

I got my X about 2 weeks after launch, have never put a screen protector on it, have always carried it in my pocket with keys, change, and the occasional "cool" rock that my 2yr old son finds when we are hiking/playing outside. I have never gotten a scratch & my screen still looks the way it did when it showed up in the FedEx box on my doorstep.

I understand your point of the Ghost Armor film on the rest of the body of the phone, if you are the type of person who doesn't like a case, but I am just saying that stick on protectors for the screens are a waste of $. Unfortunately, a lot of phone reps at ALL the carriers push them to uninformed buyers for no other reason than to line their pockets. I am merely passing along another viewpoint and my experience with how scratch resistent the screens really are so people can make up their own choice.

As far as cases adding bulk, yes, some do, but I chose the Otterbox Commuter because it adds very little size & both scratch/shock protection to the body of the device....for half the cost of your Ghost Armor film that only offers scratch protection.

bor999

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
What would have happened to the screen if it didn't have that protection? Do you think it would have been OK or would it have been scratched?
I don't even remember what caused the screen protector to scratch. The response is WAY better without the cheap little ebay screen protector I had though. Downside is more fingerprints though lol.
Have you seen scratch tests of Gorilla Glass on the internet? They have people taking sharp screws & razor blades to the screens & absolutely no scratches come of it. I don't know about you, but the sharpest thing I ever have in my pocket are my keys.

I got my X about 2 weeks after launch, have never put a screen protector on it, have always carried it in my pocket with keys, change, and the occasional "cool" rock that my 2yr old son finds when we are hiking/playing outside. I have never gotten a scratch & my screen still looks the way it did when it showed up in the FedEx box on my doorstep.

I understand your point of the Ghost Armor film on the rest of the body of the phone, if you are the type of person who doesn't like a case, but I am just saying that stick on protectors for the screens are a waste of $. Unfortunately, a lot of phone reps at ALL the carriers push them to uninformed buyers for no other reason than to line their pockets. I am merely passing along another viewpoint and my experience with how scratch resistent the screens really are so people can make up their own choice.

As far as cases adding bulk, yes, some do, but I chose the Otterbox Commuter because it adds very little size & both scratch/shock protection to the body of the device....for half the cost of your Ghost Armor film that only offers scratch protection.
Yea, so far my phone has held up well without the protector. I always keep it in a separate pocket from all my other stuff and have a cheap little silicon case that works great.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a small scratch on my screen. I treat my phone very well, too. I keep it in my pocket, and never ever put anything else in that pocket. Not even a gum wrapper. I never dropped it and I never set it on any surface screen-down.

I wish I didn't have to use a screen protector, but I always keep one on now.

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Just google “scratched Droid X screen”.

Gorilla Glass is not scratch proof. Using keys and screws to scratch a screen is not a proper example of the limits of Gorilla Glass. First you will have to find a medium that is harder than the glass, which brass and grade 2 steal are not. Items that are harder than Gorilla Glass are very common and all around you. For example sand is harder, and it will destroy your screen. Chrome and even Nickel are harder, so even though the brass key won’t scratch the screen, a very tiny particle of the coating of the key could. Keys that are used in those tests are used and worn, if a freshly cut key were to touch that screen… SOL. Just one grain of sand stuck in the weave of your pocket liner, could make you live with an unsightly line down the entire length of the screen for the rest of that phones life (unless you polish it out).

If you don’t want to use a screen protector with your phone, then so be it. If you don’t want to use a case with your phone, then so be it. Just don’t go around telling people that there’s no need to use these protective items. The Droid X is made from an excellent design; case materials and the screen are all top of the line and selected or engineered to provide excellent protection. Even the shell of the case was designed for shock absorption, and the phone was touted as a “Go Naked” phone. This all does not mean that the phone is indestructible. Every video I watched on YouTube showed a DX with a scratched screen. There are countless people out there with scratched DX screens.

The screen protector I use is the Seidio Crystal Clear. All anti-fingerprint and anti-glare protectors will changed the appearance of the screen, as if it was frosted. The Seidio is just plain clear, and it doesn’t change anything. It isn’t as slippery as just the naked glass, but it isn’t sticky either. It protects the entire glass surface and not just the display. It is dry apply and re-installable, so even if you drop it during installation and it comes up with cat hair and pot stuck to it you can always wash it with soap and water, dry it out and re-install it. It’s cheap too, at 2 for $12 on Amazon.

It does suck getting a scratch on the screen protector, and yes it does scratch more easily than the glass would but that’s the point of the protector; to be the sacrificial barrier between the protected and what it’s being protected from..

You either take the risk or don’t.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Gorilla Glass is not scratch proof. Using keys and screws to scratch a screen is not a proper example of the limits of Gorilla Glass. First you will have to find a medium that is harder than the glass, which brass and grade 2 steal are not. Items that are harder than Gorilla Glass are very common and all around you. For example sand is harder, and it will destroy your screen. Chrome and even Nickel are harder, so even though the brass key won’t scratch the screen, a very tiny particle of the coating of the key could. Keys that are used in those tests are used and worn, if a freshly cut key were to touch that screen… SOL. Just one grain of sand stuck in the weave of your pocket liner, could make you live with an unsightly line down the entire length of the screen for the rest of that phones life (unless you polish it out).

If you don’t want to use a screen protector with your phone, then so be it. If you don’t want to use a case with your phone, then so be it. Just don’t go around telling people that there’s no need to use these protective items. The Droid X is made from an excellent design; case materials and the screen are all top of the line and selected or engineered to provide excellent protection. Even the shell of the case was designed for shock absorption, and the phone was touted as a “Go Naked” phone. This all does not mean that the phone is indestructible. Every video I watched on YouTube showed a DX with a scratched screen. There are countless people out there with scratched DX screens.

The screen protector I use is the Seidio Crystal Clear. All anti-fingerprint and anti-glare protectors will changed the appearance of the screen, as if it was frosted. The Seidio is just plain clear, and it doesn’t change anything. It isn’t as slippery as just the naked glass, but it isn’t sticky either. It protects the entire glass surface and not just the display. It is dry apply and re-installable, so even if you drop it during installation and it comes up with cat hair and pot stuck to it you can always wash it with soap and water, dry it out and re-install it. It’s cheap too, at 2 for $12 on Amazon.

It does suck getting a scratch on the screen protector, and yes it does scratch more easily than the glass would but that’s the point of the protector; to be the sacrificial barrier between the protected and what it’s being protected from..

I have to say again how much I love this screen protector. Last weekend camping, I did drop it, FACE down on some large gravel at a campground, hard enough that the back flew off. Phone worked just fine and the screen is fine. And, I owe that to the Invisible Shield protector.

Everybody can do what they want. I did remove the case from mine just because I liked the feel of it 'au naturel'. haha. And it's done fine. I can replace the phone under insurance if broken. But, to me, the screen is one of the biggest assets to this phone and to have the phone still WORKING but just scratched up screen, that's crazy when you have a wonderful screen protector like this one out there. Doesn't matter if it's this one, but it's really good to have one of some kind on.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I'll chime in with my experience.

I have never used a screen protector on my phone. I carried it in my backpack in Europe that had loose change, keys, sand/gravel (it happens when you travel), among other things. No scratches. I have done scratch tests with my knife which has a hardened S30V blade. No scratches. I go to the beach three to four times a week, and my phone always gets sand on it, then gets thrown in my pocket which also has sand in it. No scratches. I've dropped my phone, screen down, at least three times over its short life on asphalt/concrete. No scratches.

Moral of the story: I bought $20 worth of beer instead.

Cardoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had Invisible Shield on my DX since day 1. I registered it on the Zagg website just in case. About 6 months later it started to roll up on one corner. Went to the website, ordered a new one and in 3 days it was here. All I had to do was send the old one back. No questions asked. The feel is a little "sticky" but that also keeps the phone from accidently coming out of my pocket. I'm not sure if I'd ever have another phone without Zagg Invisible Shield on it.:)

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll chime in with my experience.

I have never used a screen protector on my phone. I carried it in my backpack in Europe that had loose change, keys, sand/gravel (it happens when you travel), among other things. No scratches. I have done scratch tests with my knife which has a hardened S30V blade. No scratches. I go to the beach three to four times a week, and my phone always gets sand on it, then gets thrown in my pocket which also has sand in it. No scratches. I've dropped my phone, screen down, at least three times over its short life on asphalt/concrete. No scratches.

Moral of the story: I bought $20 worth of beer instead.

You, sir, are the luckiest man alive at finding soft sand and unscratchable phones. You are the exception, not the rule. That being said...

Invisible shields are complete garbage for touch screens. They are thick and have a horrible feel. I will say, however, that Zagg's customer service is top notch. There are about 10 companies out there that make a better product. The only reason Dagger does the business it does is because it has a deal with Best Buy

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

wizardprang

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Droid X2 since launch day. Never had a screen protector on it. Always kept in a belt clip, rarely in a pocket. Dropped a couple of times over the past year. No scratches or marks on the screen.

For me, Gorilla Glass is enough...

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Even though I don't own that X anymore, my Razr Maxx has Gorilla glass.
Mine slid outta my console and across my floorboard and got scratched, a little...but still it's there.
I immediately went and got another Invisible Shield on this phone.
Don't be fooled, Gorilla glass is scratchable.