Case and screen protector for S21+

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I impulsively bought a S21+ last week, and I need to get a case and screen protector pronto. My previous phone is the ancient Note 5, and I got great advice here when I was choosing accessories in 2015 -- I bought an Evutec Karbon case and a Spigen glass protector that have held up all these years.

I've been reading info on this site and elsewhere, and it looks like I have to choose between a glass protector or a film protector. I've always used glass. (I have the Spigen Steinheil Screen Protector Ultra Crystal on my Note 5, and it still looks perfect.) What are the pros and cons of glass versus film? Any info/suggestions would be great.

I love my Evutec Karbon case, but unfortunately Evutec doesn't make that type of case for the S21+. I like how sturdy that case is (I've dropped my phone a few times and had no damage) and I REALLY like how grippy it is. I don't want a hard case or anything that's slippery. I want something more rubbery. I've read through the "best of" pages on this site, but I'm not finding a lot of info relating to slipperiness. I'd really appreciate suggestions, especially from users that have cases similar to the Evutec Karbon. I don't need a pretty case, I'm more concerned about protection.

I'll probably need to buy something online -- I didn't realize how new the S21 phones are, and I'm not finding much of a selection of accessories at my local Best Buy, Verizon store, etc. I only saw one grippy case at Best Buy, and it was mostly grippy on the edges, not the back. It was okay (hubster bought one for his new S21), but I'm hoping to find something better if I'm gonna spend $40.

TIA!

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Yes, I did read those pages, but I still had questions. Anyway, I ordered a Spigen case and amFilm screen protector (I've always used glass potectors, so it'll be an experiment).

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Yes, I did read those pages, but I still had questions. Anyway, I ordered a Spigen case and amFilm screen protector (I've always used glass potectors, so it'll be an experiment).

I have about 5 different cases and I'm using my Spigen about 95% of the time, only change it out when I need a slimmer case. I've also been using the amFilm for about 6 weeks and it holding up well, works great with the fingerprint reader much better than the original glass protector I used first.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I also impulsively ordered the s21+ from Best buy for$749 for the 256gb version. I currently have the s21 and I am using the Ringke Onyx case. It gives good protection, it's slim and the back is like a sand paper feel and the sides have grip. I have not put on a screen protector for this phone and probably will not use one.

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I also impulsively ordered the s21+ from Best buy for$749 for the 256gb version. I currently have the s21 and I am using the Ringke Onyx case. It gives good protection, it's slim and the back is like a sand paper feel and the sides have grip. I have not put on a screen protector for this phone and probably will not use one.

I'm jealous! I would have loved to have gotten the 256 version, but I didn't shop around. Normally when I buy something pricey that I plan to use for years, I do a lot of research and price-checking. But we were in Costco, saw the phone display, the hubster decided we needed to get new phones immediately, and I wasn't in the mood to argue.

I wasn't familiar with Ringke, but that Onyx does look like it would work for me. Very reasonable price, too. If the Spigen doesn't float my boat, I might try the Ringke.

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have about 5 different cases and I'm using my Spigen about 95% of the time, only change it out when I need a slimmer case. I've also been using the amFilm for about 6 weeks and it holding up well, works great with the fingerprint reader much better than the original glass protector I used first.

Which Spigen do you have? I bought the Rugged Armor. Glad to hear the amFilm works well. Although I haven't had much luck with the fingerprint reader -- I usually make several attempts that don't work, and then just use my PIN.