Ipad2 or xoom?

emg75189

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
My birthday is next week, I want a tablet. I went to best buy yesterday just to look. The xoom felt slower than the ipad2, i guessing its cause it was a demo. The ipad is so nice looking, but dont like iTunes or that you can't custumize. Every single one looks the same. The only thing missing from the xoom is netflix, hulu, and apps made for tablets.

I thought i was for sure wanting the xoom, but now 2nd guessing myself.

Convince me that the xoom is better and will get netflix and hulu.

Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jkyu99

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Ever want Flash? Xoom
Want to change the look and feel? Xoom
Looking for ease of use? Ipad
Want to feel protected? Ipad
Geek? Xoom
Normal? Ipad
But every three months a new and better tablet will come out... Android.
Life cycle for the next best ipad3? Probably two years.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
While there is a new iPad every year, one could argue that any given year model can go a couple of years before it truly feels outdated. My wife is still rocking an OG iPad, and an iPhone 3GS for that matter.

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ever want Flash? Xoom
Geek? Xoom
Normal? Ipad

Agreed. If you like to get serious with your tech, Xoom. But if your just a consumer, ipad

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Has to be iPad right now, unfortunately. The Xoom isn't terrible but it is disappointing (especially the screen) and even with the latest update, Honeycomb still has a long way to go.

There isn't much of a modding scene either so even if you are technically inclined (ie a geek) you won't find much to hold your attention.

Get the iPad. Sell it and get an Android tablet when the OS has matured a little.

thr0tt

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Ipad2 has my vote too, I have both the iPad (1) and Xoom and so far the Xoom is just not up to speed yet, again if you like to tinker and think thats what you will spend and enjoy your time doing then get a Xoom (or cheaper version ASUS etc) but if you want to actually use it productively then get an iPad2, things will just work with it without the need to tinker.

bartman8888

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If you or your family (other FaceTime users) are part of the Apple ecosystem (iTouch, iPhone, Mac), get an iPad.
If you refuse to pray at the Apple mosque or you love to tinker with your shat, get a Honeycomb tablet.

My arse is still a little chapped by no SD card support on Xoom, no fold out case/keyboard combo and no VLCplayer, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy

Reactions: mikedj72

thr0tt

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
If you or your family (other FaceTime users) are part of the Apple ecosystem (iTouch, iPhone, Mac), get an iPad.
If you refuse to pray at the Apple mosque or you love to tinker with your shat, get a Honeycomb tablet.

My arse is still a little chapped by no SD card support on Xoom, no fold out case/keyboard combo and no VLCplayer, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy

This is one of the may issues with this device, its all empty promises, they should have either released it with everything working or delayed it - it is now getting user like myself not wanting to recommend it because its lacking in many ways and the Apple product is a working, no hassle quality piece of kit.

Sure in 6-12 months time Honeycomb may get an update that enables some shizzle but its still a far way behind the Apple ecosystem with its apps and support etc.

skipb

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ever want Flash? Xoom
Geek? Xoom
Normal? Ipad

...simplified...

Want control of your tablet? Xoom (Root for even more control).
Want to 'feel' protected? iThingy (or iThiny2... they're pretty much the same).
Want to BE protected? Rooted Xoom.
Normal/Advanced User? Xoom/Rooted Xoom.
iDiot??iThingy (or iThiny2... they're pretty much the same).

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

emg75189

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
right now im reading the AC review of the SGT 10.1, might just wait on that one. i'm i reading that there's no swapable microSD card, so i can't expaned storage? like buy the 16GB and then if needed add a SD card.

i do have a question about IOS. i like to listen to podcast and the radio while surfing the web, facebook or twitter, or even some games. i keep reading that apple doesnt have true multitasking, so i wont be able to do this??? also when does flash really matter besides playing online games? which i dont do.

i dont really want to tinker with it much.

OlReagan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the may issues with this device, its all empty promises, they should have either released it with everything working or delayed it - it is now getting user like myself not wanting to recommend it because its lacking in many ways and the Apple product is a working, no hassle quality piece of kit.

Sure in 6-12 months time Honeycomb may get an update that enables some shizzle but its still a far way behind the Apple ecosystem with its apps and support etc.

To hold off on releasing it until the sd worked would affect sales. But it says something when even a "not-yet-complete" xoom has more features than an ipad. I don't even think we will see usb or SD in the ipad 3, it's just not in Apples nature to allow their users to put anything on their products that was not bought from itunes or the app store. It's the main reason I stay away from Apple when it comes to portable devices.

I don't do much tinkering with my xoom. I use it for browsing the web (the full web), games, reading music and studying (studydroid flash cards). I can't think of anything that I could do on an ipad that I cannot do on a xoom, but not the other way around. The Apple app store is the only allure, and even then, I could likely do without 90% of the gimmick apps. All of my base functions are covered with the 195 tablet optimized apps (and the 100,000+ non optimized apps, most just as useless as Apple's).

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ices%2Ftablet-keyboard-android&token=jS3XS8nu

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...devices%2Ftablet-mouse-android&token=bmSJNKut

IMO the mouse support is reason for a Xoom instead of iPad. If I want I can easily convert my Xoom (or other honeycomb) tablet into a fully functional netbook. Combine that with full file system support and you have a pretty bad ass mobile platform.

What is missing right is wide app support and a solid office solution. But with the plethora of devices that will be running honeycomb and ice cream sandwich in the future I expect the app problem to all but disappear.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPad 1 (wife), iPad 2 (son), and Xoom (Me). All three are fine. For me the iPad feels like a large iPod touch. Whereas the Xoom doesn't feel like a large Droid.

Xoom is still a bit rough around the edges, but nothing that is a show stopper for me.

The iPad seems more refined to me.

If you are already into Android, get the Xoom.

If you are into Apple, get the iPad

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the ipad and after a few weeks I was bored out of my skull with the OS, the ipads are a humongous iphone. Anyway, gave the ipad to my wife, after a month she too felt dissatisfied. We both own a Xoom and android phones. I will never be tethered to Apple and that brain washing dictator.Purely my opinion.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Had both, liked both, kept the iPad. Realize that these are all early stage products and whichever you buy is likely to start feeling obsolete by the end of the year, even though in real life it will probably function fine.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPad and replaced it with my Xoom. I love Apple computers but hate their portable devices that rely upon iTunes for updates, file transfers, and everything else. The iPad has to be connected to a computer with iTunes regularly. I have had my Xoom for a couple months and have never connected it to a computer.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
We have both camps in our household, so I have extensive experience with both the iPad and the Xoom. The iPad is more stable. The Xoom has more capabilities. The iPad has more apps. The Xoom has more customization options.

There is no right or wrong answer. It's all about personal preferences.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
There is no right or wrong answer. It's all about personal preferences.

I know what you're saying, and it's the truth when it comes to Android vs Apple phones, but I don't think it's true for tablets at the moment. It will be true in 6 months when all the bugs are gone and we have a better user experience.

Personally I don't mind dealing with the issues that come with being an early adopter, but right now, for the average consumer, I think Honeycomb actually is the wrong answer.

But like I said, in 6 months I think (hope) it will be a very different story.