Is my phone hard bricked?

jawnhatesyou

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I was running CM10 and decided I liked the stock ROM better so I went to flash back to the stock and when it started, my phone randomly powered down and wouldn't start back up. I can't get it to show any indication of life, charge, be recognized by my computer. The only thing I've been able to do so far is if I plug it into my computer with the battery pulled, it will show a red indication light but when I go to boot into download, the light will go out and it will make a disconnect noise. If anyone can help, please do.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would talk with Skunk. I will list one of his posts below so you can click his name and send him a PM. He is our rooting expert within the Sprint area but he could still help you im sure... Or provide ideas.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2251851

My own personal suggestion would be to try another battery just to see if it matters. Not sure if it will but something worth trying.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

cpolly69

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
i also have the same issue - tried to installed cm10 - install aborted - phone rebooted, now its a brick - no response no nothing
please help if possible

Cy Barbaro

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah what gives - same problem here. Rooted phone, created a backup of the stock ROM, then set CWM Recovery to wipe cache and install a new ROM. I walk away for 2 minutes and now phone won't turn on, go into any sort of recovery or download mode. I had 90% battery life when i tried to install new ROM. Phone wont charge either. Tried my battery in another S3 - battery shows at 90%. Tried another battery in my S3 - nothing still.

Experienced Original EVO rooter. Guess i'm gonna bring into the store and play stupid...:confused:

If I can't change ROM's without bricking the phone, then this phone sux. That plus Sprint's horrible 4G LTE coverage, i'm having buyers remorse on this hunk of crap. WTF

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Anyone ever get any info on this.. I've been thinking of reverting back to stock from CM but am hesitant to do so after reading this..

milicigoran

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
i also have the same issue - tried to installed cm10 - install aborted - phone rebooted, now its a brick - no response no nothing
please help if possible

Is hard bricked then. Same thing happened to me. If the phone won't boot into download now or recovery mode is hard bricked. Take it back to att and say it just suddenly won't turn on and they'll give you a new one. They can't check to see if it was rooted since it won't turn on. I did it twice already because someone posted the wrong links to the roms. Got 2 new s3's.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

cpolly69

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I bounced from here over to xda - I did what you suggested and got a new phone the same day I posted. Second time around I took my time and read a little more before acting. I did skunkapes guide to rooting and it worked flawlessly. I also installed cm10 official from the cm site and the matching gapps from goo.im and it also works great. At this point I am pretty confident the ROM I tried to install when I bricked was not designed for my model gs3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Ronnie Maldonado

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
please help me i am hard bricked i tried to change my root i dont know what happend i had cyanogen mod and went for a new root now my phonw wont even go to download mode its dead i bought a new micro sd caed 16 g please if you have the steps get back to me so sad i haave to go to work:'(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
now my phonw wont even go to download mode its dead
You're right that if you've messed it up so badly that it will no longer boot into Download mode it's essentially dead.

You can search for 'debrick image' for your model online and you might be able to recover it that way. Or you could rely on a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sams_s22plus