Is the Charge worthy of the upgrade?

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi- I have the chance for an early upgrade from my Fascinate and ive been looking at the Charge.
The main thing i dont like about the Fascinate is the GPS issues i have, it never locks or when it does takes like 2 minutes. My Nexus S always locks and in seconds but has other issues warranting its return to Sprint. How is the Charges GPS? Did Samsung finally get it right? Other than that the only negative things ive heard about the Charge is poor battery life ( what smart phone doesnt have it) and intermittant freezes ( same thing what smart phone doesnt). Is it worhty of $200?
I really would like to have that Super Amoled screen.
Thanks!
One other question: Can the 4G LTE be toggled on and off or is it always scanning to be on?
Thanks

Last edited:

fortesquieu

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I think you should just wait another month or so. I upgraded from Fassy too myself, didn't regret a bit.

Better screen, slightly bigger, and LTE, that's very important. Everything else, they are about the same. It is worth the upgrade, just for LTE and the screen. But at this time, when Prime is about to come out, you should buy yourself an LTE + dual core phone instead of buying a Charge.

Reactions: briguyy

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I think you should just wait another month or so. I upgraded from Fassy too myself, didn't regret a bit.

Better screen, slightly bigger, and LTE, that's very important. Everything else, they are about the same. It is worth the upgrade, just for LTE and the screen. But at this time, when Prime is about to come out, you should buy yourself an LTE + dual core phone instead of buying a Charge.

Thanks for the reply
I already had a dual core HTC phone ( EVO 3D) and was unhappy with it..not the dual core but HTC sense UI. I like Samsungs touch wiz believe it or not..i may be the only one, however i have loaded CM7 on my Fascinate before and liked ADW Launcher. I took a look at a some "Nexus Prime" info on Google and Youtube and couldnt see what carrier it would be released too....im gunna stay with VZW Sprint is a no go and ATT i cant use..i could wait for it to come out but need a phone that works right now.

fortesquieu

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply
I already had a dual core HTC phone ( EVO 3D) and was unhappy with it..not the dual core but HTC sense UI. I like Samsungs touch wiz believe it or not..i may be the only one, however i have loaded CM7 on my Fascinate before and liked ADW Launcher. I took a look at a some "Nexus Prime" info on Google and Youtube and couldnt see what carrier it would be released too....im gunna stay with VZW Sprint is a no go and ATT i cant use..i could wait for it to come out but need a phone that works right now.

Verizon is the best for me. I've used T Mobile, ATT and tested my friends' Sprint. If I were you, I would wait for the Nexus 3.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I came from a fassy too and I absolutely love my Charge. Took a bit of tweaking for the GPS but there is nothing I hate with it.

That being said, If I had an upgrade available right now, I would hold onto it. I am pretty sure that in the next month or so you are going to see the Prime on VZW, and that is going to be like finding the holy grail. I am hoping that I can finally talk my wife into taking my charge and giving me her upgrade when it comes out.

Good luck with your decision, you cannot go wrong with the Charge, but I would hold for the Prime

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Go for it.. Get the DCharge. You won't be sorry. I absolutely love mine.

I believe that you may be able to get it for free with 2 year contract.

Do a search. I know i've seen the add.

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I moved to the Charge from the Fascinate myself. The GPS on the Fascinate was better than that on the Charge, in my experience. But both are adequate for most purposes (not really great on the golf course, though).

4G is worth the investment for me, but I'm on an unlimited data plan. If I were not, not sure I'd pony up extra to go from the Fascinate to the Charge (or to any other 4G phone).

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I moved to the Charge from the Fascinate myself. The GPS on the Fascinate was better than that on the Charge, in my experience. But both are adequate for most purposes (not really great on the golf course, though).

4G is worth the investment for me, but I'm on an unlimited data plan. If I were not, not sure I'd pony up extra to go from the Fascinate to the Charge (or to any other 4G phone).

Wow! I cant believe the GPS anyworse than the Fascinate! I just tried Google Navigation standing outside my home and it took 6 minutes to lock and it was like 20 feet off. Ive had the HTC EVO 3D and the Nexus S 4G and both would lock inside my home within seconds and be right on the money.
Im going to the Verizon store tomorrow.was going today but got to busy..anyways i will test it out in the store and see how i like it. I really dont need 4G or Dual core..but i guess thats whats out now..
Thanks everyone for your advice and input its greatly appreciated!!!

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
My GPS is fine...it is all dependent on the phone and location as it is with every smartphone.

Yeah i hope your right, i am on my second Fascinate and still the GPS takes "Minutes" to lock and thats wherever i go. I guess im just getting some bum phones

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsungs version of GPS shouldn't even be called GPS its so inaccurate. The Thunderbolt isn't far behind however. I wonder if poor GPS has something to do with the Android O/S in general?

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Samsungs version of GPS shouldn't even be called GPS its so inaccurate. The Thunderbolt isn't far behind however. I wonder if poor GPS has something to do with the Android O/S in general?

Thats a good point, my friends iphone doesnt have any problems, however my Samsung Nexus S 4G locks on in 2 seconds and is dead accurate....and my HTC EVO 3D i tried out was also good, but not as good as the Nexus.

millemots

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thats a good point, my friends iphone doesnt have any problems, however my Samsung Nexus S 4G locks on in 2 seconds and is dead accurate....and my HTC EVO 3D i tried out was also good, but not as good as the Nexus.

My Charge is every bit as accurate (inaccurate?) and fast (slow?) to lock as my wife's iPhone 4. Tested that out on a 2k mile trip last month. Neither phone got us lost. ;-)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal