is the US model of the samsung s8+ better than the international version?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

In terms of quality of phones, battery life, processor speed, etc. ,which is better?

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The Exynos variant Samsung sells outside of the US is generally better in terms of overall performance. If you are in to Samsung Pay and reside in the US then it's better to get the US Snapdragon variant as it's better suited for US. Doesn't really mean you can't use the international variant in the US, just not on Verizon or Sprint.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That is not correct the Samsung S8 and S8+ are capable of utilizing any of the carriers regardless of which system they use. The phone must be paid in full and you must have the carrier unlock it but once that is done it is able to function fine with any carrier both US and International. Once unlocked you get a UICC sim from your carrier of choice and that's it. It will do a factory reset so just prepare ahead.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
That is not correct the Samsung S8 and S8+ are capable of utilizing any of the carriers regardless of which system they use. The phone must be paid in full and you must have the carrier unlock it but once that is done it is able to function fine with any carrier both US and International. Once unlocked you get a UICC sim from your carrier of choice and that's it. It will do a factory reset so just prepare ahead.
Not correct. International Exynos variant lacks radio bands for Verizon and Sprint so it'll only work with GSM carries. Please research before calling others incorrect. It only causes confusion.

They only difference between the Exynos and Snap Dragon versions is type of CPU. Otherwise, they are identical.
High level yes, technically no. Samsung uses better camera sensors in it's Exynos variant. The CPU/chipset are different and use different components and on an hardware and software level, things are handled differently. For example, Samsung Pay doesn't fully work in the US on an Exynos variant. The Snapdragon variant has a better GPU so games run slightly smoother but the Exynos variant runs cooler and provides better battery life.

FYI, I owned both the Exynos and Snapdragon variants.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If you look up specs on GSMarena, the international "955f" version does not have CDMA radio.
Having also used both Exynos international and Snapdragon US... If you want to use Samsung Pay in the US, get the US version.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Not correct. International Exynos variant lacks radio bands for Verizon and Sprint so it'll only work with GSM carries. Please research before calling others incorrect. It only causes confusion.

High level yes, technically no. Samsung uses better camera sensors in it's Exynos variant. The CPU/chipset are different and use different components and on an hardware and software level, things are handled differently. For example, Samsung Pay doesn't fully work in the US on an Exynos variant. The Snapdragon variant has a better GPU so games run slightly smoother but the Exynos variant runs cooler and provides better battery life.

FYI, I owned both the Exynos and Snapdragon variants.

It'll work on their respective LTE networks. CDMA is pretty much gone the way of the DoDo. Especially with Verizon.

Both the international and US unlocked versions will work on ANY network; as will the Verizon varient. The both the Exynos and Snap Dragon CPUs have all the radios.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
It'll work on their respective LTE networks. CDMA is pretty much gone the way of the DoDo. Especially with Verizon.

Both the international and US unlocked versions will work on ANY network; as will the Verizon varient. The both the Exynos and Snap Dragon CPUs have all the radios.

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding your comment. The Exynos S8 series DO NOT WORK with Verizon and Sprint because of lack of LTE radios and Verizon certification.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The Exynos S8 works perfectly on Sprint I have been using it since June, purchased from Best Buy (Unlocked) paid in full and no problems. It will function fine on any network same as the Snapdragon would. Only difference is the CPU.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The Exynos S8 works perfectly on Sprint I have been using it since June, purchased from Best Buy (Unlocked) paid in full and no problems. It will function fine on any network same as the Snapdragon would. Only difference is the CPU.
Best Buy doesn't sell the Exynos variant. The only unlocked variant they sell is the G955U1 and G950U1, both are the Snapdragon variants. The unlocked Snapdragon variants support all 4 US carriers and their GSM/CDMA radios. The Exynos variant is not sold in the US officially and offers zero warranty/support from US carriers or Samsung USA. The Exynos variant only supports GSM LTE bands and they won't work on Sprint or Verizon.

Unlocked US S8 series ≠ Exynos
Unlocked US S8 series = Snapdragon
Unlocked Rest of the world (except a few countries) = Exynos

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Best Buy doesn't sell the Exynos variant. The only unlocked variant they sell is the G955U1 and G950U1, both are the Snapdragon variants. The unlocked Snapdragon variants support all 4 US carriers and their GSM/CDMA radios. The Exynos variant is not sold in the US officially and offers zero warranty/support from US carriers or Samsung USA. The Exynos variant only supports GSM LTE bands and they won't work on Sprint or Verizon.

Unlocked US S8 series ≠ Exynos
Unlocked US S8 series = Snapdragon
Unlocked Rest of the world (except a few countries) = Exynos

Thanks for a very clear presentation of the differences.

EWY

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Pay does work on Galaxy S8+ G955FD Dual Sim. I obtained one sourced from UAE. I was able to register US issued MasterCard and Visa.

Samsung Pay.jpg

Last edited:

EWY

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I use my international S8+ on T-Mobile and there is only one thing that is missing. There is no WIFI calling on this Exynos variant. Since the reception of this version of S8 is quite good, I can live with this. I know I can probably root this phone and flash some ROM to make WIFI calling work but this might break the Samsung Pay. So, I am not going to bother to modify my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene