Is there an app that will send individual SMS messages to more than one person?

virtuouskate

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
What I'm looking for is an app where you choose the contacts to send a text message to, type in the text, and then the app sends the SMS message to one person individually, then to the next person individually, and so forth. Bonus points if it allows you to enter more than 20 contacts at one time. Every texting app I've looked at so far has sent multiple-recipient texts as MMS group messages, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

I sometimes have to send a "blanket text" to all our employees. With nearly 40 people, it just is not practical to send each person an individual SMS text. But the only way I know of to text multiple people at the same time is to send a group MMS message, which is a problem for 2 reasons. First, it's limited to 20 people, which means I have to send the same message multiple times. (Not as big of a deal now as it was when we had almost 50 people and the phone I had at the time would only text a group of 10, but still.)

Second, when one member of that group responds, the reply goes to everyone in the group. The only thing worse than getting 20 texts from people you don't even know saying "ok" is when half of them respond to each "ok" with "who is this?" I remember one epic group texting fiasco where, over the course of an hour, I got 40 texts, and 39 of them were throwaways from people I didn't even know. Plus, of course, if you don't have a data plan for whatever reason, you don't even get MMS messages.

I have a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S6, unlocked but not rooted, and I'm using Samsung's stock texting app, not Hangouts. The people I'm texting have a variety of Android, Windows, and iPhone devices and are pretty evenly split between T-Mobile and Verizon. So I need something that will send messages that work across multiple platforms and carriers. I guess basically what I want is an app that will automate the process of typing a text and sending it to one person, then typing that same text again and sending it to one different person, and on down the list. Surely I'm not the only one who's had this problem and someone, somewhere, has figured out a solution?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never tested this out, but if you use Hangouts as your default SMS app, then go to its settings, tap SMS, then uncheck Group Messaging. See if that sends multiple individual SMS messages to the group.

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Textra, go sms, chomp sms all of them will do that if you don't check the moms box for. Group messages.

Posted via the Android Central App

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I think there is a built in android limit that prevents sending to more than 10 people at one time and also to more than 100(?) in one hour.

I used to administer communication for a soccer team. Had to send 40 texts at a time for urgent changes to fields etc. I used Tasker and set up my text to send to groups of 10 contacts at a time with a 15 second wait between each batch. This seemed to get around the android limitation.

I know it is convoluted but seemed to be the oh way to get it out in a robust way.

I also tried an app called Groupy. You may want to see if that does it... It uses groups you create through Google contacts.

tgjosund

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I think there is a built in android limit that prevents sending to more than 10 people at one time and also to more than 100(?) in one hour.

I used to administer communication for a soccer team. Had to send 40 texts at a time for urgent changes to fields etc. I used Tasker and set up my text to send to groups of 10 contacts at a time with a 15 second wait between each batch. This seemed to get around the android limitation.

I know it is convoluted but seemed to be the oh way to get it out in a robust way.

I also tried an app called Groupy. You may want to see if that does it... It uses groups you create through Google contacts.

May I ask how you set up your Tasker for this? Looking into doing the same.