Is there any possibility of recovering lost photos after a factory reset?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

A few days ago I had an unfortunate incident of losing all of my photos after a factory reset. I also lost several playlists in which a lot of time was invested to create. Obviously Im much more concerened with losing the photos. I had a 128gb card in which I thought my photos were being saved however this was not the case. Only 1 folder of photos remains on the card after the reset. I could swear even some of the info on the card was wiped out.

I have done some research and it seems some places say there is a way to recover the photos while others say that the pics are gone permantley. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also being that I am starting frome zero any reccomendations of backing up info moving forward would also be greatly appreciated.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
As long as you don't use the phone, it is I believe possible to recover the files, which after factory resetting have been marked deleted, but not actually deleted. Using the phone again would overwrite them.
Some here would say that they are permanently gone.
If they can be recovered, it would be difficult and expensive.

madmax1979

Dec 26, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I don't recall ever setting up either account. I thought the photos were backed up on my SD card. It actually seems that some pics on the card were even effected but you wouldn't think that would be possible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I don't recall ever setting up either account. I thought the photos were backed up on my SD card. It actually seems that some pics on the card were even effected but you wouldn't think that would be possible.
I see , so you didn't have back up on , do you see them on your SD card the photos? It's always good habit to back up through Samsung cloud,Google photos just in case SD gets corrupt and which they do from time to time .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A factory reset leaved /Android and /LOST.DIR - everything else - including the possibility of recovering files that were stored internally - is lost. (File recovery apps need the directory structure to find the deleted files - that's wiped to a blank new one with a factory reset. Only PhotoRec could get them back, but there's no Android version, and to image internal storage, so you could copy it to a PC to have PhotoRec recover anything still in internal storage, requires root.)

madmax1979

Dec 26, 2019
Visit site
A factory reset leaved /Android and /LOST.DIR - everything else - including the possibility of recovering files that were stored internally - is lost. (File recovery apps need the directory structure to find the deleted files - that's wiped to a blank new one with a factory reset. Only PhotoRec could get them back, but there's no Android version, and to image internal storage, so you could copy it to a PC to have PhotoRec recover anything still in internal storage, requires root.)

thank you for the information

madmax1979

Dec 26, 2019
Visit site
Yes for sure, would you suggest using both Samsung and Google photos? Also compared to the photos the playlists are not a big lost. However it was still alot of time invested and imported music with album art etc. Can you reccomend a method or an app theat lets you create/backup your playlists?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes for sure, would you suggest using both Samsung and Google photos? Also compared to the photos the playlists are not a big lost. However it was still alot of time invested and imported music with album art etc. Can you reccomend a method or an app theat lets you create/backup your playlists?
I'm not one to store music but SD card be good for that , but yes I back up everything to Samsung cloud, Google photos, Google drive so I can have multiple places in case something goes wrong and even sd card but will take the ones I make copy out and use different SD card for other things .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onais