It's Going Back

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know that, and I have now set it on. The problem is that according to reviewers, it totally drains the battery at a high rate. However, I will give it a try.

I received my 4xl yesterday morning and I immediately forced 90hz and put my brightness to 90.
I will tell you, for sure, my battery life was better than on my 1 year old 3xl and I rarely had my 3xl at that high of a brightness setting.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

SARCtech

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
I received my 4xl yesterday morning and I immediately forced 90hz and put my brightness to 90.
I will tell you, for sure, my battery life was better than on my 1 year old 3xl and I rarely had my 3xl at that high of a brightness setting.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I charged the phone after pickup yesterday morning and I have about an hour of slow charging in the vehicle (connected to AA). I have 42% remaining with 5hr 42m screen on time. On the XL I don't think battery is too much of a concern. I plan to test out 90hz setting after the next full charge. Then after that I am going to force 60hz and see how much of a difference there really is. Right now with it in dynamic mode I really don't see a difference in the screen honestly.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
For the first 30 minutes after setup...I felt the same way....WTF!!! Nothing was working...everything was getting cutoff..I was ready to drop it in the trash. I even walked away. I didn't need this. I have a perfectly good Note 10+ sitting right here. So I went out and got a beer...beer spelled coffee. I tried again. I had an update...did that. Checked the store...over 50 apps needed updating. So I let it run. Then I rebooted....now the pixel i saw from the launch event was there. Everything worked. Of course, the radar and some of the other things were turned off by default...but thats not a big deal to turn on.

Its 48 hours later. The learning curve for me has been those differences between a samsung device and a google device. Battery life has been fine. Face unlock has not failed, even once. All the apps work. All the demoed features, work. Hardest to get set up, strangely enough, was Google Assistant. Could not get Hey Google to work. But, the 'new' version apparently was turned off also. Once turned on it works fine. I was skeptical of the radar thingy. But this morning I reached over to grab the phone and it lit up when my hand go near...which was great because I didn't spill my coffee...especially since I went shopping yesterday and forget to get more....so...that radar thingy ...was a life saver this morning

But the phone...works well...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For someone who is familiar using Apple face id the face unlock on the pixel 4 just felt natural but better since it's much faster. Absolutely zero issues with face unlock and anything with the phone so far. Loving it.

But if the phone is something which doesn't work for you then make the best decision for you and return. There isn't a single phone that works for everyone.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Here is my problem: It only works about 50% of the time. Whenever it doesn't work, all I have to do is tap the screen, and it instantly unlocks - why? Nobody can tell me why it works like that. Is it a security flaw, or is it like that by design. I could probably live with it like this, but I have to know how it works.

I've had this happen only a couple of times, but I think when you go to tap the screen, it moves the phone enough for the face unlock to work at the same time. Just my guess though. Overall I'd say face unlock has been a surprise with how good it's been for me.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
But if the phone is something which doesn't work for you then make the best decision for you and return. There isn't a single phone that works for everyone.

Agreed...which is true for every phone ever released. Your particualar experience, understanding, or expectation, does not necessarily make any phone a failure. Hate to call the P4 a failure because it doesn't come in blue.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For someone who is familiar using Apple face id the face unlock on the pixel 4 just felt natural but better since it's much faster. Absolutely zero issues with face unlock and anything with the phone so far. Loving it.

Exactly..

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I need some help. I am trying to get a baseline of how the face-unlock is suppose to work, so that I can determine if my unit is working properly. Calling Google Support is useless. First off, the face recognition seems to work almost 100% of the time. However, triggering it to unlock doesn't. When I pull it out of my pocket and hold it to my face, it fails 100% of the time. I have to tap the screen or hit the power button to get it to unlock. You can tell that the phone does not "wake up" because the little lock icon does not appear at the top of the screen. I have to wake it up manually as I described above. If the phone is sitting on my desk, and I hold it up to my face, it automatically unlocks 70% of the time. Is this normal, or is my radar defective. I just don't have a baseline. Like I said, my phone has no trouble recognizing my face.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Google is sending me a replacement unit. I guess we'll find out if mine was defective. I have until Nov. 12 to get my money back...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google is sending me a replacement unit. I guess we'll find out if mine was defective. I have until Nov. 12 to get my money back...
You will now not get the pre order $100 credited to your Google account since they will consider the defective exchange as return. They screwed me up last year for the exact same scenario even though it wasn't my fault.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
You will now not get the pre order $100 credited to your Google account since they will consider the defective exchange as return. They screwed me up last year for the exact same scenario even though it wasn't my fault.

That makes it just that much more likely for me to return the replacement unit as well and go back to my P3XL until it stops working. However, I will miss the 90 Hz screen...

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My mistake. I must have been looking at the Pixel 3 weights. Thanks for fact checking me. It just seems a lot more than 5% heavier for some reason.

Do you even lift bro? Just kidding.

Seems like you are trying to find reasons to not like it. I think you have a defective phone as well, but maybe your heart just isn't in it. Your 3xl will carry you through to the 5xl. Maybe you should wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte