Jelly Bean Issues After Update

motron3000

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys first time poster, long time lurker. Figured it was time to post in the hopes that Samsung will make the fixes soon.
I've been monitoring my phone's quirks after the JB update and I've noticed the following:

- My BIGGEST complaint: The fact that the OE email app for non gmail services (in this case my yahoo email) completely stopped syncing, and even after hitting refresh no new emails come in (settings won't allow me to remove my account either).
- Slower performance, noticeable lag during simple menu scrolls at times.
- Issues with goSMS pro app (uninstalled it because the texting lag became unbearable).
- The screen periodically doesn't time out at all (settings are fine), it just stays on until I manually turn it off with the lock button (may be a post JB Smart Stay issue?)
- Text notification sound is inconsistent, doesn't happen all of the time or gets cut off.
- Gripe: Not crazy about the new LED colors for notifications, I'll look into third party to color code things the way I likes.

I've done all of the standard remedies aside from resetting to factory, I plan on waiting it out for now.

I haven't noticed worse battery life, actually seems better but I will monitor it more closely.
I really do love my S3 and JB is promising but I wish I waited before updating to JB because I gave up a stable phone for the new thing.

jkmasi

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have any knowledge about "Media Server" and "Media" showing heavy background battery usage?
I am having the same problem. If I go into gsam battery monitor, and look on the list of apps that are using battery, Media is at the top. Click on it, tap in Manage, and Force close Downloads. That seems to help - until the next reboot. Then Media (which according to better battery stats is really media scanner service) just starts running and won't let my phone sleep. Battery drains really fast! My GS3 was perfect before, now this is driving me crazy. Anyone have a permanent solution? I tried a factory reset (twice), reformatting my sd card, and a different reformatted sd card. No difference.

eggobb

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. If I go into gsam battery monitor, and look on the list of apps that are using battery, Media is at the top. Click on it, tap in Manage, and Force close Downloads. That seems to help - until the next reboot. Then Media (which according to better battery stats is really media scanner service) just starts running and won't let my phone sleep. Battery drains really fast! My GS3 was perfect before, now this is driving me crazy. Anyone have a permanent solution? I tried a factory reset (twice), reformatting my sd card, and a different reformatted sd card. No difference.

Two thing I have done that seem to drastically increase battety life:
1) Remove sd card (originally formatted under froyo). This seems to have stopped the runaway scan processes.long term fix may be reformat as others have suggested.
2) Disable google location sevices. This kills my battery particularly when i'm inside without gps reception.

I am also not using any power drain apps such as google now, and have email set to never check (though it does anyway).

Hope this helps somebody!

Hatren

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356366551295.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356366551295.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

alejandra92963

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
On the siii. Go to settings and then sounds. Go to vibtation then change the text vibration. It will change it for all texts not just at night. I had to fix it that way on mine. Hope that helps:)

alejandra92963

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
You need to find dormant mode in the settings. I have yet to find it but I know it is there. Someone posted that you download quickshortcutmaker and search for blocking mode

- - - Updated - - -

You need to find dormant mode in the settings. I have yet to find it but I know it is there. Someone posted that you download quickshortcutmaker and search for blocking mode

Go to settings, vibration, change text to none. It will completely shut the vibration off.

legalcat10

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The built in swype doesn't work very well.in fact the auto correct in this is atrocious(my messages read like gibberish)! Battery life has diminished.when I hit the Back← arrow Once it closes my app, Google browser constantly opens to Only the search page.it NEVER opens where i left it last and closes all tabs/pages without warning.from the Lock screen it takes me to All messages Not the one just received.
I Hate the changes.its not an improvement for me.with sudden app closures and the google browser constantly 'going home' on its own.
I liked typing on my Razr, had less random weirdness and misspells.I hate in on my GS3 it takes me longer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
On the siii. Go to settings and then sounds. Go to vibtation then change the text vibration. It will change it for all texts not just at night. I had to fix it that way on mine. Hope that helps:)

Vibration for texts can be set under the settings for text messaging with the stock text messaging app. Just go into text messaging app, and go into settings in that app, and you'll find vibration settings for text messages.

Gpokmd

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean Issues After Update - horrible battery drain, mostly by "media"- how to stop it

short of the ridiculously time consuming factory reset, how do i get rid of this horrible battery sapping "media" and what is it ? prior to this terrible JB update, norton utilities worked well to shut down programs and save battery power. now its ineffective and battery life has plummeted ! am losing 10% an hour or more with light usage. Help !! am a big GS3 fan but about to get rid of it if this isnt fixed. this is ridiculous and has never happened before with any ota for me.

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My only issues so far has been the Google Music bug. The one where you are listening to a song via headphones, then it turns the headphones off and starts playing thru the phones speaker.

arnorian

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm having the EXACT same problem. Initially my phone began freezing, but I thought it was because it was due to me not waiting for full installation to occur. Now its been 5 days and I cant even use the phone. S3 freezes few minutes after my phone reboots. For like 10 min even during restart it would freeze with BLACK screen as if battery had died.

Anyone knows any solutions to this problem????

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm having the EXACT same problem. Initially my phone began freezing, but I thought it was because it was due to me not waiting for full installation to occur. Now its been 5 days and I cant even use the phone. S3 freezes few minutes after my phone reboots. For like 10 min even during restart it would freeze with BLACK screen as if battery had died.

Anyone knows any solutions to this problem????

Have you tried doing a factory reset for your phone? I haven't had that specific problem, but it seems like if a factory reset won't fix it then it might be a hardware problem.

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
using the flash on the camera seems to periodically just flat out crashes the phone. black screen and have to pull the battery. happened 4-5 times and I tried my wife's phone as well and had the same issue.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
awesome, my phone no longer charges now, I plug it in and nothing happens

edit: LOL wow i'm a moron, somehow my old Motorola wall charger got plugged into my outlet so that's why nothing was happening. I honestly have no idea how that got plugged in as I never unplug the samsung one. Everything still works :D

Last edited:

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
For those with Battery Issues have you tried changing the cell service back to CDMA/LTE from the Global Mode that it enabled? That seemed to help me.

Anyone able to replicate my calendar widget issue where it my screen glitches when scrolling left to right from the home screen?

I just upgraded and cannot find this CDMA/LTE setting. Can you please tell me how to get there? Thanks