Jelly Bean OTA for Nexus S in July?

ash1348

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am reading the Engadget Google I/O live blog and they just said JB OTA is coming to Nexus Prime and Nexus S in July. I wonder if Sprint Nexus S will get the update as well. Anyone?

GeekGie

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Nope, it would be nice but Sprint has to tailor it to their network before it's pushed as an OTA. Look how long 4.0.4 was before we got it. For the people who root I'd expect a Jellybean build by early August.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I am reading the Engadget Google I/O live blog and they just said JB OTA is coming to Nexus Prime and Nexus S in July. I wonder if Sprint Nexus S will get the update as well. Anyone?

Based on our OTA history...I'm assuming we'll have to wait a couple months past that time. :mad:

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It'll probably be around September or October.

....You know, around when the new Nexus phone and new iPhone will launch.

Oh well, such is the nature of a CDMA device on a CDMA carrier.

Galaxy Nexus owners will be hit by this too (Verizon and Sprint) so we won't be alone. :p

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Nexus owners will be hit by this too (Verizon and Sprint) so we won't be alone. :p

I know this is silly...but now I want to hold my upgrade until a Jellybean device gets released. Ah well...maybe the next Nexus device will be on Sprint and I can experience the frustration all over again! :p

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I know this is silly...but now I want to hold my upgrade until a Jellybean device gets released. Ah well...maybe the next Nexus device will be on Sprint and I can experience the frustration all over again! :p

I just want T-Mobile to work where I live. :( I'd go on AT&T but...no.

I'd grab a GSM Nexus from the Play Store right now if I knew I could actually use it as a phone. :/

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I just want T-Mobile to work where I live. :( I'd go on AT&T but...no.

I'd grab a GSM Nexus from the Play Store right now if I knew I could actually use it as a phone. :/

My wife and I are almost a year off on our upgrades...so in order to switch, I'd either have to wait until August of 2013 when hers is up or we'd just have to pay the ETF and move to AT&T (which is notoriously bad in my neck of the woods...which is ironically where the wireless division of AT&T is headquartered) because my wife is on iPhone.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Google announced it would be July for Nexus S, so who knows whether that includes the Nexus S 4G or not. It should since nothing's changed in the underlying structure of the OS that would affect the 4G radio, but knowing past debacles I wouldn't be surprised with a delay.

sizzle7

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not setting my hopes high on that July release. I'll wait it out until the end of the year if anything lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not so much the radio this time but the CDMA files to make the update work on our phones and Sprint's internal testing that we will have to wait for.

Who knows, maybe the 4G radios and CDMA files took a week but their testing took quite a while.

Realistically (and wishful thinking), if nothing breaks in the T-Mobile OTA, we SHOULD see the update sometime in August...wasn't it about a week or two after T-Mo got their update before we got ours?

I'm more concerned with how Jelly Bean will run on the Nexus S after hearing how "Project Butter" will work. One thing is the CPU is kicked up to maximum when touch input is detected to help it seem smoother when you do things.

Chrome and the default Browser already cause launcher redraws, as does anything else that's CPU intensive. We'll just have to see how it works when the whole OS is using all of the CPU just when you touch the screen.

derwin

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, back in February Google had dropped support for all Nexus devices that ran on CDMA networks, as the proprietary keys needed to lock into the CDMA baseband are not open-source. In Google's logic these phones are not fully open and therefore not supported by Google. This was one of many articles I found on the matter:

Google ends full support for CDMA devices, including Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus | Android Community

Even though this was back in February, an ICS update came out through Sprint regardless in April, so who knows what this means for 4.1 for us Nexus S 4G users. If it doesn't, I suppose I'll be installing a custom ROM again by the time one of them is created. I personally like to use stock ROMs.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, back in February Google had dropped support for all Nexus devices that ran on CDMA networks, as the proprietary keys needed to lock into the CDMA baseband are not open-source. In Google's logic these phones are not fully open and therefore not supported by Google. This was one of many articles I found on the matter:

Google ends full support for CDMA devices, including Verizon?s Galaxy Nexus | Android Community

Even though this was back in February, an ICS update came out through Sprint regardless in April, so who knows what this means for 4.1 for us Nexus S 4G users. If it doesn't, I suppose I'll be installing a custom ROM again by the time one of them is created. I personally like to use stock ROMs.

You're not remembering correctly. Google didn't "drop support" for anything. They just won't be handling the updates for CDMA devices. They'll create them but it will be up to the carrier (Sprint and Verizon) to test it and give it to us.

Previously, Google would test and push it out, but no longer because they had to wait for the carriers to give the CDMA files to them. This is against AOSP because, as you said, the files are not open source.

So we WILL receive this update and there's no reason why we shouldn't. However, it will take longer. Sprint really can't afford to lose customers if they deny the update so it would be in their best interest to give us the update and not withhold.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Since this is up there, I'mma just say to ignore the previous posts I made about Sprint updating our devices. :p

Nexus S 4G is back to being an AOSP device now which means we have a much higher chance of seeing the update this month than next. :D

Shirke

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I dont think VZW will take as long this time with JB update like they did with 4.0.4 but Verizon has to do all their test first. I think we will see this on the nexus in mid-Sep.
I'm excited to get jelly bean in my two Gnex