Jelly Bean update - Home screen contacts icon missing

azzkikrazz

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I recently updated my T-Mobile Galaxy SII (SGH-T989) to Jelly Bean (4.1.2), about a couple of months ago (when the update was pushed by T-Mobile).

I was pretty happy with the phone until a couple of days back, when I started noticing a weird issue.

Once in a while, I notice that out of the 5 bottom row icons on the home screen, i.e. (Phone, Contacts, Message, Internet, Apps), the contacts icon gets deleted, and only 4 icons are left on the bottom row of the home screen. I can manually add the contacts icon back (as the 5th icon), but after sometime, the icon goes missing again.

Initially, I thought that it might be a bug, as a result of some app that I may have installed (although I only install trusted apps from the Play store). So, I cleared the data and uninstall all the apps, which I recently installed, which might have caused this issue.

However, the problem still exists and the contacts icon keeps getting removed from the home screen.

Any suggestions or recommendation would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I would do a factory reset and quickly disconnect from network to prevent application download and see if problem exist then add them back very slowly until you catch the problem

azzkikrazz

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply ericlarson24. I tried it and it did not work. I think though, I might have identified the source of the problem. If I add the icon to the home screen (so that it would show 5 icons, namely Phone, Messaging, Contacts, Web and Applications), and simply go about using my phone, i.e. opening applications, locking the phone, etc... I notice that the icon remains.

However, whenever I clear my ram, the icon disappears. I have noticed a variation in the problem. Just 5 minutes ago, when I added the icon and cleared my ram, instead of the contacts icon disappearing, the messaging icon disappeared.

I am suspecting that whenever the memory is cleared, some Android service gets disabled, which is probably responsible for the display of these icons on the home screen.

I am research some more and try to find a solution.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

pridmorej

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. First the "Contacts" icon started to disappear about a month ago, then recently the "Messaging" icon started to disappear. I've installed a few things recently - mainly games - but nothing that I would of considered capable of messing with the system icons.

PS: I have an S3 with 4.1.2.
PPS: I didn't realise that I could add 4 icons to the bottom row, so thanks! :)

azzkikrazz

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello pridmorej,

I tried the factory reset and after resetting the device, I haven't encountered the problem again. I am pretty sure it is one of the apps, or just the way the Android kernel interacts with the app. But I am not able to pinpoint it to a specific app.

I have noticed that when I install Avast, Skype and Shazam, it starts slowing down my phone to the extent that it freezes, until I pull out the batter and restart the phone. I will try to get to the root of the problem.

However, a factory reset of your phone and then a one at a time installation of your apps, will give you an idea what is happeninin to your phonee.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien