Jittery GPS readings out of the blue

Tigrowski

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a Xiaomi Mi A1 running Android 8.1.0 and had no issues with it whatsoever but lately, completely out of the blue, the GPS readings became really jittery when using the phone for running tracking. I've been running with it for as long as I had it (a year or so), using Endomondo exclusively all that time as well. Then, one day two weeks ago or so (doesn't correlate with any update the phone would inform me about or anything), the readings just became really inaccurate, with distance error being something between 1 and 2km depending on the length of the run.

Just look at the comparison of an example of a concrete path along the lake near me from 3 months ago and today: https://imgur.com/a/YCc9q3e. It's a good example cause the path is always the same there, you can't run along it in any other way cause there literally is _only one way_ to traverse it.

What could have happened and how can I try to fix it? All the obvious things are done of course, like restarting the phone, allowing Endo to use location features, turning battery optimization off for the app or other trivialities from the official Endo GPS troubleshooting guide: https://support.endomondo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003633613-Android-GPS-Troubleshooting-Guide

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I sometimes have that problem here in Oregon. It seems to be caused by trees or HEAVY cloud cover. When the sky is clear the GPS works OK. But your problem may be caused by a defective CPS chip. Can you try it somewhere else? Preferably somewhere that has no obstructions to the Satellites.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It could also be a loose GPS antenna connection. Install GPS Status & Toolbox so you can see what the GPS receiver sees. If there are no clouds or wind (moving air can change the GPS reading too) and the location keeps changing by a little, it's a GPS problem. If not, it's probably an Endomondo problem. (If it's a GPS problem, since the phone is out of warranty, you'll have to pay a really knowledgeable shop (most of them just know how to replace the standard parts - screens, USB connectors, etc.) to trace down the problem.

Tigrowski

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
First of all, thanks for the replies.

I sometimes have that problem here in Oregon. It seems to be caused by trees or HEAVY cloud cover. When the sky is clear the GPS works OK. But your problem may be caused by a defective CPS chip. Can you try it somewhere else? Preferably somewhere that has no obstructions to the Satellites.
Mine surely isn't caused by the weather cause it happens regardless of whether it's a clear/cloudy/rainy/snowy day :( And yep, I have tried different routes of course - it happens regardless of where I'm running, be it a desolate path along the lake or main arteries of the city center. Doesn't make any difference.

It could also be a loose GPS antenna connection. Install GPS Status & Toolbox so you can see what the GPS receiver sees. If there are no clouds or wind (moving air can change the GPS reading too) and the location keeps changing by a little, it's a GPS problem. If not, it's probably an Endomondo problem.
Tried that today to see and there are no changes in the location at all. It's completely stable and constant as long as the phone is in one place and then updates with no problems as soon as you move it. Also, I've changed during the run today and there are constantly between 12 and 18 satellites (out of 32) that the phone is connected to.
I don't think this is an Endomondo problem cause I checked my Google Maps Timeline as I have it on and it makes the same weird twists in my routes as Endo, suddenly drawing my path through the buildings or concrete walls (like seen in the first post).

What may the problem be, then?

agsuresh

Jan 2, 2019
Visit site
I have a Xiaomi Mi A1 running Android 8.1.0 and had no issues with it whatsoever but lately, completely out of the blue, the GPS readings became really jittery when using the phone for running tracking. I've been running with it for as long as I had it (a year or so), using Endomondo exclusively all that time as well. Then, one day two weeks ago or so (doesn't correlate with any update the phone would inform me about or anything), the readings just became really inaccurate, with distance error being something between 1 and 2km depending on the length of the run.

Just look at the comparison of an example of a concrete path along the lake near me from 3 months ago and today: https://imgur.com/a/YCc9q3e. It's a good example cause the path is always the same there, you can't run along it in any other way cause there literally is _only one way_ to traverse it.

What could have happened and how can I try to fix it? All the obvious things are done of course, like restarting the phone, allowing Endo to use location features, turning battery optimization off for the app or other trivialities from the official Endo GPS troubleshooting guide: https://support.endomondo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003633613-Android-GPS-Troubleshooting-Guide

This probably caused by the latest system update. Most of the apps are misbehaving on my Mi A1 too after the update. Today found that my alarm setting disappeared, youtube is handing, calculator not working (installed another version).

Hope corrections are made available soon.

Tigrowski

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
This probably caused by the latest system update. Most of the apps are misbehaving on my Mi A1 too after the update. Today found that my alarm setting disappeared, youtube is handing, calculator not working (installed another version).

Hope corrections are made available soon.

Well, regretfully I received an update to Android 9 yesterday and after extensive testing I have to admit the very same problem persists :( Does that mean something hardware-related malfunctioned in my device and I can do nothing to fix this apart from sending it in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymousaga