Just got my 6P! Honeymoon phase!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No matter how much you try to integrate a MacBook Pro with an Android phone it is not going to be as seamless as it is integrating iOS devices. Apple devices work seamlessly together with no third party apps and little user input.

true indeed. nothing would be more seamless than the iPhone/MacBook combo. personally I enjoy tinkering, and am very particular with what I like, so for me the 6p and MacBook combo works best. it allows me to set it up the way I like it and choose the apps I like best. when I'm on my MacBook, the only thing I really need to access that is shared between both devices is video and photos for the most part. I never edit anything on my MacBook that I need on my phone, so I get to enjoy what I like best about both systems.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
true indeed. nothing would be more seamless than the iPhone/MacBook combo. personally I enjoy tinkering, and am very particular with what I like, so for me the 6p and MacBook combo works best. it allows me to set it up the way I like it and choose the apps I like best. when I'm on my MacBook, the only thing I really need to access that is shared between both devices is video and photos for the most part. I never edit anything on my MacBook that I need on my phone, so I get to enjoy what I like best about both systems.

There is way more to seamless integration than that.

1. I can edit a document on my MacBook and then hand it over to my iPad when I go up to my bedroom.

2. My iPhone rings and i left it in my bedroom while I am downstairs on my MacBook. I can answer from my MacBook. My sister calls on FaceTime from overseas. I can answer on any of my devices

3. I can edit a document in iCloud using Pages or Numbers on ANY PC OR MAC at work and it is available almost immediately on all my devices mobile or not mobile.

These are just a few things that I love about having all my devices made by Apple. I have been a PC user since 1988 back when the PC was based on the 8086 processor. I only got an iPhone when it became available on Verizon on 2011. I followed that with an iPad Mini 2 two years later. Last year at Thanksgiving I got my MacBook Pro. That completed my needs for the time being. My wants would include an Apple TV. But that is just a want and not a need.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I got a Surface Pro 3 on a Black Friday sale. Had a lot of issues with my old laptop, which was basically just used for web browsing and Office apps, primarily Word and Excel. Really love the keyboard/cover. Ingenious design. For what I use it for, it's just about perfect.

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
The only thing Apple does that I don't have with my android is the ability to answer my phone on my laptop. I could have that if I went over to Google voice though. I can start a document on my phone and hand it off to my laptop. If I take a photo or video it's right there on my laptop when I open it. If I get a text on my phone it pops up on my laptop. I can browse files and folders on my phone via my laptop. I can access my music, photo library, stored documents on either device from either device. Ain't technology grand? Would have loved to get the iPhone 6s Plus but couldn't bear the price. The Nexus 6p is brilliant.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only thing Apple does that I don't have with my android is the ability to answer my phone on my laptop. I could have that if I went over to Google voice though. I can start a document on my phone and hand it off to my laptop. If I take a photo or video it's right there on my laptop when I open it. If I get a text on my phone it pops up on my laptop. I can browse files and folders on my phone via my laptop. I can access my music, photo library, stored documents on either device from either device. Ain't technology grand? Would have loved to get the iPhone 6s Plus but couldn't bear the price. The Nexus 6p is brilliant.

Laptop or MacBook? I would assume MacBook.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

What app do you use for text messages and notifications on your laptop?

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

What app do you use for text messages and notifications on your laptop?

I'm interested what app is being used as well. Pushbullet was good, But I'm not paying their fee.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
There is way more to seamless integration than that.

1. I can edit a document on my MacBook and then hand it over to my iPad when I go up to my bedroom.

2. My iPhone rings and i left it in my bedroom while I am downstairs on my MacBook. I can answer from my MacBook. My sister calls on FaceTime from overseas. I can answer on any of my devices

3. I can edit a document in iCloud using Pages or Numbers on ANY PC OR MAC at work and it is available almost immediately on all my devices mobile or not mobile.

These are just a few things that I love about having all my devices made by Apple. I have been a PC user since 1988 back when the PC was based on the 8086 processor. I only got an iPhone when it became available on Verizon on 2011. I followed that with an iPad Mini 2 two years later. Last year at Thanksgiving I got my MacBook Pro. That completed my needs for the time being. My wants would include an Apple TV. But that is just a want and not a need.

yup, I agree ... I was just sharing my own personal use. editing documents and saving it to Dropbox is what I do. can access it from iPad, MacBook, ChromeBook and 6p. I don't use Skype or FaceTime.

I'd love if Android made a comparable laptop to the MacBook, but IMO nothing is nearly as good. I remember when I bought my first one in 2009, I wasn't as into tech as I am now (I couldn't afford it back then!) and I was shocked how I can just leave it on for month after month and not have a single issue with it.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site

You are using third party apps to get this done. You either have to pay for them, or they are clunky and do not work Seamlessly. With my Apple devices I do not have to install third party apps. When the OS is updated, all the sharing still works and I do not have to worry whether the apps vendor is going to update the app to make it work with the updated OS.

All of what you said is a workaround and not natively based. With Apple all the seamless integration works out of the box and I do not have to install anything else.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
yup, I agree ... I was just sharing my own personal use. editing documents and saving it to Dropbox is what I do. can access it from iPad, MacBook, ChromeBook and 6p. I don't use Skype or FaceTime.

I'd love if Android made a comparable laptop to the MacBook, but IMO nothing is nearly as good. I remember when I bought my first one in 2009, I wasn't as into tech as I am now (I couldn't afford it back then!) and I was shocked how I can just leave it on for month after month and not have a single issue with it.

Your experience mirrors mine. I still have my Dropbox since I migrated from a PC. I am now using iCloud almost exclusively. I still keep my Dropbox just in case.

When I had my PCs I would almost always call on my brother to help me with the slowdowns and the viruses that I would get. With the MacBook Pro I have no need to call anyone. I just use it. Have had zero problems with it in one year of use.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You are using third party apps to get this done. You either have to pay for them, or they are clunky and do not work Seamlessly. With my Apple devices I do not have to install third party apps. When the OS is updated, all the sharing still works and I do not have to worry whether the apps vendor is going to update the app to make it work with the updated OS.

All of what you said is a workaround and not natively based. With Apple all the seamless integration works out of the box and I do not have to install anything else.

clunky? and 99% of those apps are free. you obviously enjoy your perfectly seem less out of the box experience. personally, I hate it. I can spare the occasional dollar and enjoy setting things up the way I like them. It just so happens you like what Apple offers. Not everybody does. For instance, I despise not being able to remove the text under icons on the iPhone. what's your work around for that? Oh that's right, there is none. I don't want the same experience as my grandmother, with the exception of our wallpaper, but prefer he customization that android offers. You don't and that's fine, but let's not act like owning a 6p with whatever laptop is some huge inconvenience. If we wanted an iPhone we'd have one.

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Same old argument. Apple products just work but are locked down. Android requires some fiddling but offers more customization. I've enjoyed both and would be perfectly happy with either. Went Android for price value.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
clunky? and 99% of those apps are free. you obviously enjoy your perfectly seem less out of the box experience. personally, I hate it. I can spare the occasional dollar and enjoy setting things up the way I like them. It just so happens you like what Apple offers. Not everybody does. For instance, I despise not being able to remove the text under icons on the iPhone. what's your work around for that? Oh that's right, there is none. I don't want the same experience as my grandmother, with the exception of our wallpaper, but prefer he customization that android offers. You don't and that's fine, but let's not act like owning a 6p with whatever laptop is some huge inconvenience. If we wanted an iPhone we'd have one.

You can do a lot of customization with Apple if you jailbreak your phone. I do it all the time. That will let you remove the text from under the app. There are a million other tweaks that you can do after a jailbreak. The combination is endless.

I have owned an iPhone with a PC laptop and an iPhone with a MacBook Pro. The user experience is way way better with the latter than with the former. You have to experience it yourself to understand it. It would be like using a Windows phone with a Surface Pro. You can only get that level of integration when the same company controls both the laptop and the phone in hardware and software. That is NOT going to happen with Android unless Google produces a Nexus laptop and integrates it with its Nexus phones.

Microsoft and Apple get this, Google does not get it yet.

12MaNy

Regional Leg Breaker
Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe he enjoys things that Android cannot do. Maybe his tech fulfillment includes integration of his iPad, MacBook and iPhone together. He can answer his phone on any of his three devices. He can save one photo on one device and view it immediately on another or in the cloud. He can easily restore all his data from the cloud to a new iPhone or iPad. He can read an article on his MacBook and switch to the iPhone through handoff if he wants to go tinkle. Maybe he enjoys visual voicemail which almost all Android handsets do not offer.

Tech fulfillment means different things to different people. You enjoy Android and he enjoys Apple products.

IDK......I think there's a huge difference between "Tech Fulfillment" and "User Experience Fulfillment". When I hear the word "Tech" I think of diving in to the internals....not just using the equipment/firmware in a satisfying way.

Hence why I made the comment about Android being open....

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You can do a lot of customization with Apple if you jailbreak your phone. I do it all the time. That will let you remove the text from under the app. There are a million other tweaks that you can do after a jailbreak. The combination is endless.

I have owned an iPhone with a PC laptop and an iPhone with a MacBook Pro. The user experience is way way better with the latter than with the former. You have to experience it yourself to understand it. It would be like using a Windows phone with a Surface Pro. You can only get that level of integration when the same company controls both the laptop and the phone in hardware and software. That is NOT going to happen with Android unless Google produces a Nexus laptop and integrates it with its Nexus phones.

Microsoft and Apple get this, Google does not get it yet.

I didn't know you can remove that text if you jailbreak it ... good to know.

and yeah, nothing is more fluid than the iPhone/MacBook combo.

The only way Android will ever come close to matching Apple in that department, is if they made a phone themselves and had it under the Pixel umbrella ... even then it would pretty much be impossible for all the obvious reasons.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
IDK......I think there's a huge difference between "Tech Fulfillment" and "User Experience Fulfillment". When I hear the word "Tech" I think of diving in to the internals....not just using the equipment/firmware in a satisfying way.

Hence why I made the comment about Android being open....

I'd say iPhones and Macs and iPads are most certainly technology. And the tech they provide currently fulfills what I want out of a phone and laptop combo. Hence me saying "tech fulfillment". My desires in technology have been fulfilled by Apple products at this time. If Google would create a laptop experience that could work cohesively with a Nexus phone, I'd be all for it. I still love Android and look longingly at the Nexus devices, but I want that level of integration that you can only get with an Apple device right now.

12MaNy

Regional Leg Breaker
Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd say iPhones and Macs and iPads are most certainly technology. And the tech they provide currently fulfills what I want out of a phone and laptop combo. Hence me saying "tech fulfillment". My desires in technology have been fulfilled by Apple products at this time. If Google would create a laptop experience that could work cohesively with a Nexus phone, I'd be all for it. I still love Android and look longingly at the Nexus devices, but I want that level of integration that you can only get with an Apple device right now.

You say " Technology ". I say " Technical ". One man's tech fulfillment can simply be another man's user experience.

Tuh-may-toe.........Tuh-mah-toe.

You know what I meant.

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Man I love this phone!

I've been using my 6P for a couple of days now and I can't get over how much I love this phone! I'm coming from a N5 and really had no issues with it other than the small battery but I'd learned how to work around it.

Coming from the N5 I was a little concerned about the size of it but it's really been a non issue for me. Probably my favorite feature is the fingerprint reader, it just works all the time and it's so quick. I will never buy another phone without it.

Merry Christmas!
Neil.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk