Just ordered HTC One Google Edition

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I'll be leaving the Nexus community. I just got tired of no LTE, my data connection constantly dropping because ATT did not officially support the phone, and my Bluetooth never working.

Looking forward to receiving the HTC One. The way i see it, it is all aluminum (shmexy) and has better hardware specs. Yes, more expensive, but worth it to hopefully have a phone without so many bugs and with better build quality.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'll be leaving the Nexus community. I just got tired of no LTE, my data connection constantly dropping because ATT did not officially support the phone, and my Bluetooth never working.

Looking forward to receiving the HTC One. The way i see it, it is all aluminum (shmexy) and has better hardware specs. Yes, more expensive, but worth it to hopefully have a phone without so many bugs and with better build quality.

Almost twice the price isn't it and updates by the carrier?

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Its $600 v $350 for the N4, but the HTC has double the built in sotrage and LTE, both things the Nexus 4 does not have.

Updates are directly from Google. Apparently on the same timeline as the Nexus devices.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, if you can afford it, the GE One is better than the N4 in every way. You forgot to add that it has front stereo speakers, a better display, a far better camera, and (best of all) a decent amount of local storage. The N4 is awesome, but the One is much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost twice the price isn't it and updates by the carrier?
You get what you pay for.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Its $600 v $350 for the N4, but the HTC has double the built in sotrage and LTE, both things the Nexus 4 does not have.

Updates are directly from Google. Apparently on the same timeline as the Nexus devices.

Well I am using about 6GBs of my 16GBs on my N4, and my T Mobile HSPA+ which can work up to 21Mb/s is fast enough for me, and does not drain the battery as quickly as LTE I am told. So that is not even worth $25 to me much less $250.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Congrats its a really nice phone! It has better speaker,screen,spec,higher storage,LTE.

I just dont want to disappoint you on this.
The update will not directly come from Google. It will come from HTC, but you will get the update as soon Nexus gets it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The update will not directly come from Google. It will come from HTC, but you will get the update as soon Nexus gets it.
I doubt it. Even assuming HTC has gotten it's act together (I am pessimistic, but it is possible), HTC still has to tweak every release for this phone. Their camera has a software component to it for example. I think it will be more like the Droid 1 than like a Nexus device.

It will be interesting to see how dedicated HTC is to keeping it updated. I would definitely have preferred Google updating it...

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Apparently on the same timeline as the Nexus devices.
nope, updates are from the manufacture, not google. so you are still at HTC's mercy.
not saying i wouldnt rather have one, but i will say although they are stock, its still not a nexus experience... only way you get that is to buy a nexus

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The GE phones won't get updates when the Nexus devices do, but they should get them much quicker than the carrier versions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon(654396)

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
After speaking with 2 reps each from Google & HTC, none are clear on the update front, the answer was "we are still working on the terms, we haven't been told exactly how the updates will be handled". The only interesting takeaway from these conversations was how much HTC reps defer everything about this phone back to Google, "it's a Google phone"..."Google will be providing all the support"..."we don't handle warranty, Google will provide full coverage" etc. I just wonder how much involvement HTC will have in the future of this GP edition after the shipments are out the door.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
but you will get the update as soon Nexus gets it.

not quite... its not on the same update schedule. this doesnt even make sense? being that they come from HTC, what makes you think they will update as son as google does? although stock, it still has beats and other HTC features that would need to be tweaked... not going to happen. im sure it will update faster than most devices, but nowhere near as fast as a nexus

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I assume the update won't be on the exact same schedule but that's okay. I think the reason carrier phones take so long is because updates have to be integrated with manufacturer software like sense then integrated and vetted with the carriers themselves. Even if I have to wait a month additional for the update I think its wortH it.

Just got off the phone with GP support. The technical support rep said allGP devices will be updated within 1 week of a new android OS release.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I gave HTC another chance when I bought the one x. Hoping they had their stuff together as far as updates. Nope. I will never buy another htc phone. They have disappointed me too many times. I'll stick with my Google phones from now on. And yea the updates will go through HTC so good luck man. They have been so inconsistent in the past something tells me they still haven't learned.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with GP support. The technical support rep said allGP devices will be updated within 1 week of a new android OS release.

I don't see how that is possible when Samsung and HTC have so much of their software still baked into those phones. It isn't pure stock as people believe. They still have their own tweaks in it. How deep it is into the framework or kernel I do not know. I just can't see only a week going by till they get the update. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how that is possible when Samsung and HTC have so much of their software still baked into those phones. It isn't pure stock as people believe. They still have their own tweaks in it. How deep it is into the framework or kernel I do not know. I just can't see only a week going by till they get the update. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Google can simply hold the update until all the phones are close to being ready, then they'll release the update for the Nexus 4. One week later, they will release the update for everything else.

Personally, I wouldn't like any delay in an update, but I could see this type of scenario happening, and we would never know the real story.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how that is possible when Samsung and HTC have so much of their software still baked into those phones. It isn't pure stock as people believe.
It really is not any different from other non-nexus vanilla devices like the Droid 1.

But the Droid 1 never got updates before the Nexus phones. And eventually, Motorola stopped updating it. Just sayin.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Google can simply hold the update until all the phones are close to being ready, then they'll release the update for the Nexus 4. One week later, they will release the update for everything else.

Personally, I wouldn't like any delay in an update, but I could see this type of scenario happening, and we would never know the real story.

Well you will find out when the people that own the N4 talk about the update they just got, and the the people that have the Samsung and HTC say nothing....

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The updates are going to come from HTC not Google. It's not 100% nexus as it has boom sound. I wanted s Google edition but not for that price.

For 182 I have my att htc one running the Google edition Rom. I switch between that and ARHD.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well you will find out when the people that own the N4 talk about the update they just got, and the the people that have the Samsung and HTC say nothing....

That's why it's good to own a Nexus 4. ;)

I expect the Nexus 4 to get the updates first. As for the other phones, it would be nice if they get the updates one week later, but I think that's unrealistic. One month later sounds more reasonable to me. If it's longer than one month, I think you'll have a lot of angry people. That's not necessarily a bad thing because customers will hold Samsung and HTC accountable for their business practices. The bottom line is that if you're going to release a Google Edition phone, you'd better be sure you can keep up with the schedule.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it. Even assuming HTC has gotten it's act together (I am pessimistic, but it is possible), HTC still has to tweak every release for this phone. Their camera has a software component to it for example. I think it will be more like the Droid 1 than like a Nexus device.

It will be interesting to see how dedicated HTC is to keeping it updated. I would definitely have preferred Google updating it...
what software components for the camera?? all they need is develop a drivers for the camera which they already have in the device(HTC One 4.2.2)
when 4.3 comes out all they have to do is tweak it to fix/improve old/new bugs with 4.3. same with KLP, unless 5.0 is a major change to the core OS.

the last time it happened was from GB --> ICS. I dont think there will be big change to core OS.

did you not see 4.3 on GS4 GE?? do you think that HTC is not working on HTC One GE 4.3??? They are working on it and the update will be out soon.

I agree its not Nexus but it will be close.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky