just recently my nexus 7 (2013) is charging very slowly

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
just about a week, I notice that my Nexus 7 year 2013 is charging very slowly, and i mean super slow

from 60% to 100%, it takes 5 hours to charge. Before, it charges only 1-2 hours (just approximation)

And another thing I notice is that while charging, the charger is just warm instead of HOT. It used to be HOT whenever I charger. I already confirm that my charger is OK since I charge other device and while charging other device, the charger goes HOT, so it's not charger problem.

That means suddenly the device is not withdrawing current as needed since the charger is just warm. Hence the slow charging.

I am not sure what went wrong with the device. I didn't drop it or anything

does it mean that the time is finally catching up?

EDIT: thanks for the answer, but not sure why I can't reply to my own question. I don't have wireless charger around, and I am not going to buy one.

also, the pin on the port is clean because this is a tablet, i never take it outside home. I also try iPhone charger and it still doesn't work

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's still worth trying a different charging cable and plug. Also, make sure the microUSB port is clear of any debris.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a Qi charger? It won't charge as fast as a wall charger, but it might work if there is something wrong with the pins on your device's microUSB port.

The new Nexus 7: Wireless charging feature https://www.androidcentral.com/new-nexus-7-wireless-charging-feature

I have a 2013 Nexus 7, and I sometimes plop it on a Qi charger that I have from an old Nokia Windows Phone that I no longer use (the phone is no longer used, not the charger).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think it's still worth trying a different charging cable and plug.
I'm with Diddy on this one - you should try a different charger AND cable just to be sure.

If for some reason the tablet still charges very slowly (regardless of whether the charger itself gets hot) then it's possible that something is wrong with the USB port. At that point your only alternative is to try wireless charging (which you've indicated is not an option for you) or to live with the slow charging.

You could try an application like:
AccuBattery https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.digibites.accubattery&token=ye8VDXvI
or
Ampere https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gombosdev.ampere&token=yRscL4h4
to actually measure the charging current.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
can't it be because the battery is old? it's a 4 years old device, most device when it's 4 years old has a capacity of about 60% of when it's brand new?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
most device when it's 4 years old has a capacity of about 60% of when it's brand new?
It's certainly possible that it's lost 40% capacity in the time you've had it - AccuBattery (mentioned earlier) will help you to get a better idea of the remaining capacity.

I seriously doubt that the reduction in capacity, whatever it may be, would be responsible for slow charging.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
what is the design capacity of the battery when it's new? also what's the normal charge rate? i m not sure if it's my charging port cause I change the charger and still charging very slowly. However please note that I use non Asus charger (but it's OEM ZTE and OEM Blackberry charger)