Kick stand loose?

jpdmax88

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else's kick stand loose? When I put mine back into the phone it falls back out roughly 3/8". Kind of annoying being only 72 hours old. I will add a pic tonight when I get home.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

ceff7711

May 25, 2012
Visit site
No need for a pic. That is not normal nor acceptable. Within 14 days you should exchange it for a new one. My kickstand is tight.

horadin

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else's kick stand loose? When I put mine back into the phone it falls back out roughly 3/8". Kind of annoying being only 72 hours old. I will add a pic tonight when I get home.

My kickstand was so loose yesterday that it wouldn't even stay tight against the body of the phone. It nearly deployed on it's own under the force of gravity.

I did however figure out how to fix it. Still not acceptable in my opinion though, kind of a poor design.

If you take your cover off and look closely at where the hinge is for the kickstand is, you will see a very tiny nut. This nut is threaded onto a screw that has a spring around it and I believe it is this spring plus some sort of detent that puts pressure on the kickstand to keep it from being loose. The problem is that this nut is slowly backing off and making the kickstand loose. There is no way to get a wrench on this nut with the phone in one piece, plus the nut is all of a few mm wide. I was able to take a paperclip and push on the edge of the nut that way to tighten it up.

Afterwards my kickstand was tighter than it was when I bought it, but it has since loosened again. Rather than exchange my phone, I think I am going to put a tiny, and I mean tiny, drop of loctite on the end of the screw and see if that holds it better. I will try to get pictures after I eat dinner tonight.

EDIT:

Here you can see the kickstand hanging loose. I did not pull it out like this, it does this as soon as I face that side towards the ground.
fd612733.jpg

Circled in white is the nut I spoke about above
7da20d33.jpg

And here is where I used the paperclip to gently turn the small nut a little to tighten things up.
411050ce.jpg

This only solved my problem temporarily though. I am seriously considering putting a small dab of loctite on there. Some of you may think that is crazy but hey, that's who I am. I would rather fix my car (or phone for that matter) on my own even if it is still under warranty.

Last edited:

themuskr

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If you dip the paperclip in loctite and touch the top of the nut you should be good to go. It's nice to see the nut is accessible

horadin

May 8, 2010
Visit site
If you dip the paperclip in loctite and touch the top of the nut you should be good to go. It's nice to see the nut is accessible

And that's exactly what I did. Before I did it I played with the kickstand a little and every time I flipped it down, I could see the nut making a very small turn. I took a small eye glasses screwdriver and dipped it in a small pool of loctite and touched it to the nut. It looks like it soaked in pretty good. Time will tell.

Reactions: bc2k

jpdmax88

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Well I won't be providing a pic as I went to the Sprint store on my way home and they replaced my phone with a new one no questions asked. But the pics above are exactly what mine looked like/did.

horadin

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I won't be providing a pic as I went to the Sprint store on my way home and they replaced my phone with a new one no questions asked. But the pics above are exactly what mine looked like/did.

That's good to hear that it was so easy to replace. I would exchange mine but I am just now getting mine set up how I like it and don't really feel like going through all that again at this point in time.

cgiaimo

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for posting this solution...Mine was loose, googled for a solution and came upon this post. Works like a charm!

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d