Kickstand Peeling

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
and I have a case that prevents it from ever touching anything. And it's still chipping.
Is the case causing abrasion of the kickstand?

I run my phone naked, use the kickstand all the time (at my workstation it stays propped up on the kickstand) and mine is not peeling.

-Frank

THUNDERDROID

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
this is bull! bottom line. i baby this phone. its also in a nice case, put a screen protector on it the minute i got it, and the kickstand doesnt contact anything due to my case. I pull out the kickstand extremely careful and it still flakes off to the touch....unreal. phone is also rebooting every so often at random. I will be contacting HTC. this is unexeptable....

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
this is bull! bottom line. i baby this phone. its also in a nice case, put a screen protector on it the minute i got it, and the kickstand doesnt contact anything due to my case. I pull out the kickstand extremely careful and it still flakes off to the touch....unreal. phone is also rebooting every so often at random. I will be contacting HTC. this is unexeptable....

What you'll probably end up with is a new phone with a kickstand that will peel in about the same amount of time.

Random rebooting IF you haven't messed with the root/ROMs is unacceptable, I completely agree.
But honestly, I think those that are complaining about a little coating coming off the kickstand need to suck it up a little.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed mine chipping about a week ago. It really bugged me at first, but I don't want the hassle of switching devices so I left it alone. It didn't big me now.

My wifes phone isn't doing it at all...yet.

graphickellie

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think people are being "nit-picky" bottom line is if you pay for a quality device you should get a quality device. Does it bother me to the extent that I am going to return it or call HTC? no. However, I am disappointed in the fact that I've had the phone for a little over a month and its ALREADY having cosmetic issues like that. I just hope it doesn't continue with other parts of the phone. That being said I like to state that I still LOVE my phone and would recommended it to anyone!

Reactions: Chrisy

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow... just checked mine after reading this..mine still looks brand new..not a mark on it. I use it at night while charging and sometimes during the day but its always laid on a smooth surface. You guys need to cut your finger nails or stop laying your phone down on concrete.;)

As mentioned its most likely the protective coat and will look fine once its all peeled off.
If you ever get bored and feel like taking the phone apart... they sell the back replacement for $35.. they also have the replacement battery door. HTC Thunderbolt Front Housing Replacement

machten

Apr 26, 2011
www.sequoiamusic.com
just got off the phone with verizon after calling them earlier today. the rep said he had to call HTC to see if it's a known issue and when he returned my call he said that HTC was unaware of such an issue, but claimed it was hardware related which means they're sending me a new phone. once i get the new phone, i'll post pics of my KS on the old device to show how much flaking there is. honestly, it's not that big of a deal, but i agree with what was said; if you pay for a premium device, i do expect a premium phone (although i did get that $150 deal they were pushing, much like a lot of you).

btw, first post for me here. woot.

peace.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

reyxlp

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I opened and closed the kickstand a couple of times when I first unboxed the phone, that's it. It's been in a case since moment one. Just checked mine after reading this thread and it is peeling. It's nothing to get outraged about but for how expensive these phones are it shouldn't be peeling if you've never used it, lol...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a bit of peeling on the kick stand where you put your finger and open it. I'm very picky so this drives me a bit nuts but not enough to return it as it'll just happen again. I guess it'll peel itself completely once it begins and it'll look just fine lol.

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine started to peel today on the corner of the stand where it touches the surface when in vertical position. Very stupid thing, I mean I love this device but its the minor things that are just a joke to have to deal with. I'm including the stupid power button depth as well. O well just hope it peels off quick.

machten

Apr 26, 2011
www.sequoiamusic.com
i said i'd throw up a pic of my KS once i got my replacement. welp, here it is:
flaking_bolt.jpg

again, i'm pretty ginger with this phone; haven't tossed it around/had it in a pocket with change/keys.

weird.

Reactions: Chrisy

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i said i'd throw up a pic of my KS once i got my replacement. welp, here it is:
flaking_bolt.jpg

again, i'm pretty ginger with this phone; haven't tossed it around/had it in a pocket with change/keys.

weird.

I do find that to be unacceptable. That's not just a minor problem but a HUGE problem in my opinion.

Reactions: quikric

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
Mine has a couple very small "punctures" after a month and a half. I can clearly see that there is a consistent scuff mark along the same area. I just got a case about a week ago, but before that I was setting the phone on may bathroom counter (rough surface tile) all the time, so I know that is what caused it. Not a big deal...it's just a kickstand and it's just the clear coat. There's really no way they coukd have coated the metal that it wouldn't chip and peel when scratched or hit. They could have used plastic, of course, or they could have just brushed the metal and left it bare, which is what I would have done.

BTW, I'm pretty anal retentive and not bothered by this, so I'm a little worried about some of you...lol!

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine is starting to peel a bit along the end that swings out. Frankly, I hadn't noticed until I read this thread. Serves me right for joining this forum. Lol.

It's slightly annoying but not worth it for me to return the phone. I've rooted the phone and installed a screen protector so it's not worth spending the time to swap the thing.

Sent from my HAL 9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you guys want to prevent this then get a full body kit by Phantom skinz. (I recommend Matte). I've had one since day one and my kickstand is perfect.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I too, hadn't noticed this to be a problem till I looked mine over.. and have a little peeling too right on the edge of it, where one would have to grab it to swing out the stand..it is a tad annoying now. especially for what the product costs.. I have an HTC IMagio that still looks like it's in "Mint" condition even after owning it for a year and half...and i've had my T-bolt now since it was first released.. but i do have a "return if found" sticker on the kickstand from stuffbak.com , so that may be assisting in it's protection too... for me.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I bookmarked this thread because I have a feeling that Verizon will be sending me out a replacement within the month. The edge in which you pull up is beginning to come up even more now and I've only used my kick stand approximately 5 times at most. I realize that this isn't a big issue by any means but for me it's the principle more than anything. I take care of all of my electronics so well that nothing has even the slightest scratch on it. I do not drop my phone and the only damage that's on my device is that kick stand wear. I would like to call it wear and tear but I don't see how my phone is "tearing" when it's always in a protective case while in my pocket.

Thanks for this thread though! It will give me some sort of back up in case Verizon says it's just me and that wear and tear happens. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753