Lack of updates cause doubt or reconsideration?

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I am weighing the pros and cons of both the Evo 3D and Galaxy S2. I think the Galaxy S2 is a superior phone but the lack of updates worry me. HTC and Sprint just seem to update their phones much frequently than any other company.

Is the lack of updates making you reconsider Samsung and have you decided to purchase another phone instead of waiting for the Galaxy S2?? I have an Evo 4g and I had the Epic and I dont remember even one update.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The evo and epic both received updates. The evo has gingerbread and the epic will be getting it soon. As far as your first question goes, the answer is no. No way I wouldn't get the GS2 cause of slow updates. Only thing that would stop be would be a physical keyboard. Then I would wait for the nexus for sure.

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a samsung epic, and I was extremely frustrated with the runaround waiting on the 2.2 update. I'm going to wait and see if samsung improves their support when they deliver 2.3 before buying another product from them. I bought the epic because I was told 2.2 would be out by mid october and it did not come until april. I needed flash for something work related. Flash was part of the 2.2 update, and samsung pushed the release 4 times making themselves look incompetent.

I just bought 2 evo 3ds for each of my kids, and it is a smooth device. Very quick, and the 3d feature is more practical than I thought it would be. I really like swype on my epic, but htc really improved upon it with their swype touch. It gives you optional words on a bar closer to the keyboard rather than the pop up window. I would definitely recommend the evo 3d, and I'm going to look hard at the motorola photon.

I may just holds on to my epic for another year. It is a sound device. I really need international coverage, but I just completed a lot of travel. I don't have another international trip for 6 months so no hurry.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a samsung epic, and I was extremely frustrated with the runaround waiting on the 2.2 update. I'm going to wait and see if samsung improves their support when they deliver 2.3 before buying another product from them. I bought the epic because I was told 2.2 would be out by mid october and it did not come until april. I needed flash for something work related. Flash was part of the 2.2 update, and samsung pushed the release 4 times making themselves look incompetent.

I just bought 2 evo 3ds for each of my kids, and it is a smooth device. Very quick, and the 3d feature is more practical than I thought it would be. I really like swype on my epic, but htc really improved upon it with their swype touch. It gives you optional words on a bar closer to the keyboard rather than the pop up window. I would definitely recommend the evo 3d, and I'm going to look hard at the motorola photon.

I may just holds on to my epic for another year. It is a sound device. I really need international coverage, but I just completed a lot of travel. I don't have another international trip for 6 months so no hurry.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Thanks alot for your response. I have a feeling I may get the Evo 3d bcause I am sure it will get ice cream months before!!

boxta

May 27, 2010
Visit site
definitely have doubts... I have the OG EVO now.. and loved it.. thought I would get the 3D for sure, but the glowing reviews of the S2 had made me wait for the S2.

With that said, every one said they hated samsung's software... be it the rate it get the updates out... or to fix the GPS... or just touch wiz in general.

in contrast.. HTC is well known to be awesome in software and responsiveness... EVO 3D has some issues in the software.. and they are even pushing out bug fixes without going thru sprint.. .which is awesome.. and keep the device updated....

so in conclusion.. i am still waiting for S2 to come out to at least see for myself.. but i still have doubts... and I MAY still get 3D......

Got2buzz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've done my home work and watched way more YouTube reviews than I care to admit. From all I've seen and read the S2 is a real winner in so many ways. I'm not terribly worried about updates, BUT I am very concerned about the possibility of a functional issue (GPS,SMS, email bugs) not being dealt with in a timely manner. I'm in lust with this phone, but may have to (reluctantly) go Evo 3D to err on the side of reason.

My thanks to all who take the time to contribute - I appreciate you!:)

Spartoi

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
2.3.4 has already been leaked for the Galaxy S2 (which was only released about 2 months ago). Carriers are the reason why the Galaxy S variants took so long to get updates as the international Galaxy S had Froyo in October and I think they got Gingerbread in April or May, and 2.3.4 was leaked last week. If your getting an unlocked Galaxy S2, you won't have to worry about updates. Besides, the S2 is already very capable as it is.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I like the Galaxy S2 phone much better than the EVO 3D, but when I had a chance to upgrade my EVO 4G, I unhesitatingly went for the EVO 3D over the Galaxy. I did this even though I can't see in 3D<!> so the 3D capability is literally useless to me. Reasons were that the EVO 3D is available now, and that HTC has a proven track record of providing timely updates.

The other option, the Galaxy S2 is not available on Sprint, to our knowledge has not passed through the FCC with Sprint radios installed, will be supported by Samsung which has a dubious reputation on software update support (though they do claim they are going to do better), and may end up being modified by Sprint to have a physical keyboard or other unknown and undesirable things to make the Sprint version distinctive (and these changes will presumably make software upgrades tougher).

So even though I was fascinated by that great Samsung screen, and liked many of the other features, I went with another EVO unhesitatingly. And now the clock is ticking so I can upgrade again in twelve months! :D Rather than waiting for something that might come by Thanksgiving, or possibly not at all.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
2.3.4 has already been leaked for the Galaxy S2 (which was only released about 2 months ago). Carriers are the reason why the Galaxy S variants took so long to get updates as the international Galaxy S had Froyo in October and I think they got Gingerbread in April or May, and 2.3.4 was leaked last week. If your getting an unlocked Galaxy S2, you won't have to worry about updates. Besides, the S2 is already very capable as it is.

I agree completely. Remember that carriers have the final say about whether software gets pushed or not. However, their internal testing is important and caught many (but not all) fit and finish issues software wise on these devices: Remember the mistranslated text in dialog boxes and stuff? Granted those were in places that the average user wouldn't normally delve on a daily basis but polish matters, even on a carrier subsidized device.

The GPS issue wasn't Samsung's fault: They chose the superior (Google employees admitted as such in internal emails) Skyhook service for assisted GPS positioning, but were forced to strip it out at literally the last minute by Google in a rare for them power play. How Google controls Android: digging deep into the Skyhook filings | This is my next...

Because this was done so late in the game, Samsung were left flatfooted trying to re-calibrate the GPS to work properly with Google's location service. Could the GPS update's be pushed out faster, absolutely. But remember that even those needed carrier approval.

The fact that there were so many divergent Galaxy S devices didn't help matters. Even TouchWiz 3 varied in features among all of the "big 4" Galaxy S handsets. I think that if there were only two Galaxy S form factors (I strongly believe in a physical keyboard option when possible...it shouldn't have too much of an effect on software besides making the homescreen rotate, and the Epic's keyboard is amazing) that had a standardized build of the OS across the board (TouchWiz the same, limited amount of bundled apps) that it would have made the process simpler.

Does the Galaxy S II fall under the renewed commitment among the big wireless carriers and phone makers to have X amount of updates for X amount of years that was announced at this year's I/O conference.

tron192

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have an Epic 4g. I'm running Gingerbread 2.3.3 EF02 non rooted. It wasn't that long that I got Froyo. And now I'm using a beta test gingerbread version for the Epic. Kudos to Sprint for getting gingerbread up and running for the Epic. And bigups to Samsung for getting on Sprint for getting the updates moving faster.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't worry so much about software updates if the phone itself is performing well. That would be my concern. I wouldn't mind being on gingerbread for a while if the operating system its stable.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not big on software updates as long as the phone performs well out of the box. I am venturing into uncharted waters here and am well aware of Samsung's track record. My "biggest" concern would be any bugs that would require updates to fix, I cannot afford to have a phone that does not function. This phone is getting rave reviews so far and that seems to alleviate any concerns with regard to it performing out of the box (unless my carrier mucks it up with their "crap" somehow).

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Galaxy S II from New Egg and I couldn't be happier. I have ATT for service and while the service can be finicky at times, it's not nearly as bad as people make of it. My road to the SII started from iPhone 4>Motorola Atrix>Nexus S>Samsung Infuse>SII and out of all of them, the SII is significantly better. I have had no issues with GPS (didn't have any with the Infuse either). I use GPS pretty regularly for geocaching and it's plenty accurate. As someone already mentioned, their is a leaked build of 2.3.4 already out on another forum and several ROMs created using it. I rarely use a phone a couple of years anyway so if the S II doesn't end up getting Ice Cream or whatever else is next after that, I would probably end up buying a different phone with better specs in a year anyway. But for now, the SII is the best in my book.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the photon was just announced today may sway my decision. Two weeks away, Samsung better make an announcement ASAP!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The fact that the photon was just announced today may sway my decision. Two weeks away, Samsung better make an announcement ASAP!

I wonder what today's Photon announcement means for the Within. I can't see a carrier releasing two top tier smart phones within 30 days of each other, but I'd imagine crazier things have happened. Although I would argue that the two devices do have different appeals, so each will probably have their own market without a crazy amount of crossover.

Still, I'd say this makes a mid to late August release for the GS2 more likely now, with early September not out of the question. *sigh*

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what today's Photon announcement means for the Within. I can't see a carrier releasing two top tier smart phones within 30 days of each other, but I'd imagine crazier things have happened. Although I would argue that the two devices do have different appeals, so each will probably have their own market without a crazy amount of crossover.

Still, I'd say this makes a mid to late August release for the GS2 more likely now, with early September not out of the question. *sigh*

I would definitely say early september, just so people can't get the photon and return it for the SII

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FABETTTTT