Lag when going back to the homescreen while in landscape mode

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello everyone. My phone is a motorola one running Android 9, and I've noticed that it lags whenever I'm in landscape mode (e.g. watching a Youtube video in fullscreen, playing a game, overall using any app in landscape) and use the home button (in my case, when I perform the home gesture). Basically, the whole screen freezes for half a second before rotating back to portrait and going back to the homescreen. Half a second may not be that long but it is still annoying, especially because I use the FNG (Fluid Navigation Gestures) app, and each gesture has a "blob" animation which also freezes for half a second while going back to the homescreen on landscape mode.
If I perform the gesture/tap the home button while in portrait mode, there is no lag. The animations happen smoothly.
Yes, I've already tried disabling FNG and using the stock navbar but the lag is still there, only less noticeably because there isn't any blob animation getting cut off.
So, is there any solution for this lag? Perhaps a workaround (maybe making the phone not rotate back before going back to the homescreen, similar to the way iOS does it, which is just closing the app and going straight to the homescreen without any going-back-to-portrait animation)? Thanks in advance.

prof_zoom

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
Hello again. Yes I am using a launcher (Lawnchair 2), but I've tried using the stock launcher and the lag is still there.
Tried with safe mode, still lagging when going back to home screen while on landscape. If only there was a way of going directly into the homescreen instead of rotating and then going into the homescreen. This rotating animation is probably the cause of the lag.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello again. Yes I am using a launcher (Lawnchair 2), but I've tried using the stock launcher and the lag is still there.
Tried with safe mode, still lagging when going back to home screen while on landscape. If only there was a way of going directly into the homescreen instead of rotating and then going into the homescreen. This rotating animation is probably the cause of the lag.
Hi, welcome!
You have any animations off in developer settings?

prof_zoom

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
No, all of my device's animations are turned on, and at the default speed.
I found a gif showing exactly what happens with my phone. Look at the Galaxy Note 8 on the right: https://imgur.com/wacqmFE
Notice how it lags for a bit before rotating back to portrait and going back to the home screen. While on the iPhone on the left it just goes directly into the home screen. Is there any way to mimic this? I mean, remove the rotating animation (with an app or something like that) so it just goes straight into the homescreen?

prof_zoom

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
Hmm... so it looks like there is no solution :/. This issue seems to be common on every Android phone. I hope Google improves those animations so at least they'll look more fluid. Thanks for the help anyways.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hmm... so it looks like there is no solution :/. This issue seems to be common on every Android phone. I hope Google improves those animations so at least they'll look more fluid.
I'm not sure what to recommend here , was hoping others might chime in :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174