Latest Android update wrecked my Pixel 2XL - Restarts when charging, not charging, losing settings.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Mods, I hope this is the right forum for a general android software issue, if not feel free to move. The reason this isn't in the Pixel 2 section is because I wholeheartedly believe this is some sort of software issue, maybe it's only impacting the Pixel 2XL? I don't know.

At various times in my Pixel2 experience I've had issues, usually after updates with the phone charging. This isn't specific to my handset as I had FOUR...yes FOUR warranty replacements on this phone. Long story, won't get into it.

Needless to say this latest update has broken several things on my phone and I've really got to get it sorted out.

First, and mostly fixed, the phone lost many of my personalized settings, for example the screen no longer auto rotated, my news feed was blank and needed to be setup up again. Google assistant no longer knows who I am, it lost the link to my Gmail and to my google pay, all of which had to reconfigured and/or setup again.

However, the worst part is the way the software is impacting my ability to actually use the phone and this is where I need some help.

The phone is yet again NOT charging on USB C to USB C. If I use an adapter, or charge in the car it does work assuming it's a 12V or old style USB connector on one end. Using the google chargers that came with the device do not work. This is not the charger's fault as my wife's regular pixel 2 charges using those same chargers no problem.

Additionally, sometimes when charging the phone will randomly shut off now. ESPECIALLY on USB C to USB C. However, it does from time to time randomly shut off on other chargers as well now. This is problematic when you're a) expecting a call, b) on a call c) using it as an alarm and it shuts off overnight (as happened today) or d) many other situations.

Knowing that this is some weird software issue I feel like there's gotta be a fix or work around somewhere that will get me back up and running correctly? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Latest android update wrecked my Pixel 2XL - Restarts when charging, not charging, losing settin

First things first -- you've already tested it in Safe Mode?

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Latest android update wrecked my Pixel 2XL - Restarts when charging, not charging, losing settin

I haven't done a ton of safe mode testing but when I did test it in safe mode it seemed to work ok. But I really don't want to boot my phone into safe mode every night or when I need to charge it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I haven't done a ton of safe mode testing but when I did test it in safe mode it seemed to work ok. But I really don't want to boot my phone into safe mode every night or when I need to charge it.
That means a 3rd party app is likely causing this

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Doubt it and there's been no third party app changes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Doubt it and there's been no third party app changes.
Safe mode uses only native apps, disables all 3rd party and it worked for u in that mode , double check any apps that got updated or applications downloaded.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Will do, I will try to do more testing tomorrow in safe mode since I can't remember which charger I used on it. At the time I was just trying to get some juice in the battery. I have very few third party apps and the ones I have, I've had for 6+ months, the latest addition was Zillow when we started looking for a home in January.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Will do, I will try to do more testing tomorrow in safe mode since I can't remember which charger I used on it. At the time I was just trying to get some juice in the battery. I have very few third party apps and the ones I have, I've had for 6+ months, the latest addition was Zillow when we started looking for a home in January.
Cool , just want point you in right direction to troubleshoot the issue, sometimes a current app could get updated and new update could be a bug and cause issues , but double check Zillow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali