Letters Disappear

Shandy

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
When I type a word with the letters l (elle) and o (oh) quickly, both letters disappear. For example, if I type the word 'police, I always end up with 'pieces. This happens every time and is highly annoying. Does this have to do with having autocorrect on or some other setting?

Shandy

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy S9+.
The same thing happens with both the default Samsung keyboard and Gboard (which tells me its not an app issue but maybe a general phone setting, but I am guessing). No swipe typing, autocorrect on.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums.

Are you a super fast two thumb typist?

Do you see the characters pop up and then notice they aren't there after the space key is pressed?

How long has this been happening? Have you cleaned the screen, restarted the device since noticing this? Does the device have a screen protector?

Have you tried turning off autocorrect? If you think it could be an issue or even suspect it, try turning it off for a time to see if the issue improves.

If you change to landscape, I'm assuming you're spending most of your time in portrait, and tried typing for a while? This would tell us if the letters are actually disappearing or if it's possible you're fat fingering keys in your haste or making other typing errors. For instance I always end up with "three" when typing "the". It's my most frequent typo, but I also swipe type.

While I feel your skepticism that it isn't the keyboard, I'm skeptical that it's the device, unless it's a screen protector or dirty screen. GBoard allows you to scale the keyboard up a little, have you tried changing the size of the keyboard? You can make it a little bigger without too much of a noticeable change.

Let us know what you find.

Shandy

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Thank you both for responding so quickly. I would answer your questions, but I think I figured out tbe problem (and it would go along with me not thinking the issue was with the keyboard apps). I narrowed down the issue to only happen using the YouTube app (because this app is where i do most of my typing, and this issue does not happen on Facebook, general online text fields, etc). About 3-4 months ago, YouTube updated their input/ comment text field to include a little icon that will enter a linked time code of the current video play head so others could instantly be directed to that time in the video. That update caused a conflict with the keyboards to where the keyboards would freeze up to 10 seconds before receiving any input. I have only used the default Samsung keyboard and Gboard and these issues appear on both keyboards. Also, when trying to edit a previous comment, you are immediately presented with 'keep writing or discard' and the only way to edit the text is to choose 'discard'. These issues are noticed by many, many users as the YouTube forums are flooded with complaints. I believe my issue is just newly discovered (at least what i have found). Of course, there is zero response from YouTube, but there are reoorted temp fixes out there that require a rollback of YouTube updates and installing an old update (which i do not want to go through).

So, I believe I answered my own question, and tbe answer is that YouTube (once again) doesn't have a very good developer response.

Thanks again for the suggestions.