LG D686 memory shortage - move apps to SD card?

ron mcmillan

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
My ageing LG D686 (running Android 4.1.2) forever has memory shortages, with the internal memory always on the verge of running out. Now I can't download apps because there isn't sufficient internal memory - and I've run out of unused apps to delete.

I've searched high and low for a way to save new apps to the (virtually unused) SD card. I keep finding pointers to an 'Application Manager' which allows some apps to be saved to SD. But so far I have been unable to even locate an Application Manager on the LG - or any other way to elect to save apps to the SD card.

The phone is unfashionable, but it does everything else I need of it, so I'm reluctant to get rid of it just yet. Any pointers to help me use the SD memory for new apps would be most welcome.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is this the phone you're referring to?

https://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g_pro_lite_dual-5736.php

And to make sure we're on the same page, memory is your RAM. What you seem to be talking about is storage space. In either case, this is a pretty low spec phone with only 8 GB internal storage and 1 GB of RAM. With the advancements in today's app's, you're going to run out of space in both fairly quickly, not to mention a processor that is likely having trouble keeping up.

In general, it's not recommended to move apps to the SD card because it can make them more unstable, and you can't even move all of any given app. They will all leave some data on the internal storage to function correctly. SD cards are better suited for standalone files like your media.

I know it may not be desirable to trade up, but I think that's about your only worthwhile solution. Even if you could free up some extra space, it'll only be a bandaid. Even updating your existing apps will cause them to start talking up more space.

If you really want to try moving apps to the SD card as a temporary stopgap, the application manager should be in the main screen of your system settings.

ron mcmillan

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, Mooncatt, for the detailed response and for indulging my poor command of terminology. Yes, that is the model of LG that I currently own. You are, of course, correct - I ought to be looking for something a little less dated.

I live in Thailand and my budget is limited. The Thais seem to have embraced Huawei Android phones. Is there a decent bang-for-the-buck model from them that will satisfy my fairly undemanding needs?

I like taking photographs and videos, so a good camera and video option is pretty important. Apart from that, I operate only a handful of apps, none of them great guzzlers of memory - though I would like to get a GPS-enabled maps app such as Here WeGo running. The absence of space on the LG prevents me even downloading it, let alone launching it.

Thanks again,

ron

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much about Huawei phones, sorry. They aren't very popular here in the U.S. and I don't think compatible with my carrier, so I never looked into them. If you've gone this long on a phone with 8 GB of internal storage, I think you'd do ok moving to something with 32GB internal. I would also steer clear of the mid/low tier models if possible. If money wasn't an option, I'd take a year old flagship over a current mid tier phone. Flagships are the big money makers for manufacturers, so they tend to get the best designs. Though I have heard mid tier phones are doing well in performance these days, so my opinion on that may change.

Since you said you like photos and videos, I will say LG is my favorite brand for that. Their stock camera apps are so well made that I don't even bother using third party apps. They also don't seem to hold their value long on the secondary markets, which is good for you.

Depending on how tight your budget is, I'd look at a used LG V20. It's what I'm using and I still think is the best complete package. Phenomenal camera if you like manual controls (auto mode and focusing speed do seem to be weak points, though), and you even get full manual video/audio controls. It has 64 GB internal storage (I'm a heavy user and I'm not even half full), micro-SD slot, IR blaster, removable battery, sturdy build quality, and other goodies. The only big complaint I see with it is screen retention, but that's a temporary issue and not a permanent burn in.

If that's outside your price range, then I'd look at other LG phones. I would avoid the G4 and V10 because of a design flaw that lead to bootloops. You may get by with the G3, but it's a fairly old model now with 16 GB storage. Yes, it's double your current amount, but the OS will take up more space, apps are still growing in size, and I think you'll soon ruin in to the same space problems.

Another option that may help is getting a phone that allows "adoptable storage." It's a relatively new feature starting with Android Marshmallow, and not every phone supports it. The general idea is it takes over your sd card to treat it the same as your internal. It's not without some drawbacks, so I don't recommend it lightly.

https://m.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage

ron mcmillan

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks again for the comprehensive response. It is much appreciated. I'll start trawling the stores with your tips in mind. The LG V20 appears not to be a model released here, which makes it only available as an import. Not sure how much of an issue that might be, but I'll look into it.

Having done some more reading, I'll also take a look at the Samsung Galaxy J5, the Motorola Moto G5 and the Nokia 6. The LG Q6 (4Gig/64Gig model) appears to be affordable here, at about $400. I'll take a look at some reviews before I browse the shops, which have an amazing range of goods on offer. A huge percentage of the Thai telecomms market skipped landlines completely, going straight to mobiles. It's not in the least uncommon to see Thais with two late-model smartphones in operation at the same time.

Thanks again.

ron

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19