LG G3 to Galaxy S6

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I am and I am hoping the signal strength is better on the S6. My G3 is horrible in 'fringe' areas frequently losing service altogether while my iPhone is just fine. And by 'fringe' area I am referring to my desk at work where the signal is weak for all carriers. So my G3 is useless as my primary phone.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a G2, seriously considering the move. Torn between the S6 and Z3, front facing speakers and waterproofing with amazing battery life for 200$ less sounds great, but I really want/need the best (fastest) camera as my G2 sucks at capturing my kids' moments.

So leaning towards S6 for camera, and I'm hoping fast charge/wireless charging help me get through the day painlessly, especially since my carrier gives a 2nd fast charger if you pre-order. Also hoping Samsung pay with the fingerprint scanner works in Canada like the iPhone, that'd be a serious differentiator with the Sony.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a G2, seriously considering the move. Torn between the S6 and Z3, front facing speakers and waterproofing with amazing battery life for 200$ less sounds great, but I really want/need the best (fastest) camera as my G2 sucks at capturing my kids' moments.

So leaning towards S6 for camera, and I'm hoping fast charge/wireless charging help me get through the day painlessly, especially since my carrier gives a 2nd fast charger if you pre-order. Also hoping Samsung pay with the fingerprint scanner works in Canada like the iPhone, that'd be a serious differentiator with the Sony.

In Canada, do you use magnetic swipe credit cards or is it all chip and pin or chip and signature? If it uses a magnetic swipe, then I don't see how Samsung Pay wouldn't work.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
In Canada, do you use magnetic swipe credit cards or is it all chip and pin or chip and signature? If it uses a magnetic swipe, then I don't see how Samsung Pay wouldn't work.

is magnetic swipe the tap/pay (wireless/nfc)? If so we have that...but the reality here in Canada is i work in the Toronto area and never once saw someone use their mobile device to pay...so i think we're having a harder time believing it will work here.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Magnetic has pretty much been phased out in favor of nfc. The stripe is there but only as backup I believe, if nfc doesn't work somehow.

I just have more faith in Samsung pay to bring nfc like apple than Google wallet, which never saw the light here (nfc terms as are actually everywhere here, contrary to the USA).

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
is magnetic swipe the tap/pay (wireless/nfc)? If so we have that...but the reality here in Canada is i work in the Toronto area and never once saw someone use their mobile device to pay...so i think we're having a harder time believing it will work here.

The magnetic swipe I'm referring to is when you actually physically swipe your card through a card reader. Most places in the States still have us swiping our credit cards through those machines. If Canada is mainly NFC, then that could be an issue I guess to ensure that Samsung is accepted.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The magnetic swipe I'm referring to is when you actually physically swipe your card through a card reader. Most places in the States still have us swiping our credit cards through those machines. If Canada is mainly NFC, then that could be an issue I guess to ensure that Samsung is accepted.
Samsung is nfc too...

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Correct, and that is why there could be the same limits on Samsung as Apple when it comes to NFC.
Such as? Presence of terminals? They're everywhere in Canada... Non presence of terminals? That's why they include magnetic.

I don't hate apple, I just prefer android, but I think this is a better implementation to go at it worldwide...

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Apple probably has more credibility with banks and credit card companies though, wether that's justified or not I don't know.

Last edited:

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Such as? Presence of terminals? They're everywhere in Canada... Non presence of terminals? That's why they include magnetic.

I don't hate apple, I just prefer android, but I think this is a better implementation to go at it worldwide...

I wasn't sure that all NFC terminals would accept any NFC for payment, but I stand corrected. Good to know that as long as the NFC payment is accepted, it'll work.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Ok, the "oldschool" way of payment via card. Like mentioned this is mostly phased out in the areas i work/live in Canada. Mostly everything now is Pin (chip) or wireless (Not sure if its NFC, but believe it is) tap/pay options. There was a lot of battle with CRTC in allowing Apple Payments to take off here, i dont think a lot of the business' wanted to invest in the Apple machines that are used to accept Apple Pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod