LG G4 Battery Life Thread

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: LG G4 battery life isn't as great as those reviewers said

I have to charge at least twice a day
The screen on time is just over 3 hours
Any tips on how to make the battery life longer?

I'm not the "average" user and I kill 3 batteries per day during the week and 2 per day on the weekend. I'm on speaker half the day while webbing at the same time. I detest dim dingy screens which are useless for my work so I use LUX cranked to 100% 24/7.

I move around way too much to have the phone charge the battery so I have the promo kit and then bought another kit. One is in the phone, other charged in my pocket and third is charging in craddle.

I've had the same job same usage for 5 years and never had a phone burn through battery as badly as this one.

Btw, the day I turn my screen down to dingy and stop apps and turn off the screen is the day I no longer need a smartphone.

Give me nits, give me color accuracy and give me a battery that can handle the job.

I don't need a phone as thin as a wafer, I need to run my business. So far at 3 battery changes per day I'm not complaining but if this was a sealed phone like the S6 then it would be bye bye day one.

My G3 can do a work day with 2 batteries. If anything, I wish the G4 battery was hot swappable because even a 3 min downtime is too much for me.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

I've wondered, but haven't tried, whether it could be hot-swapped if it was connected to a charger while swapping batteries.

In your case, if you had a little portable charger (the rechargeable power units with USB ports), perhaps you could plug it in briefly, and swap the battery during that time.

Never mind, just tried it with the stock LG charger. I plugged it in, then pulled the battery and immediately put it back in. The phone rebooted, though it briefly showed an error message of some sort. It didn't simply go dead as soon as I pulled the battery, as I saw the message after I put the battery back in and turned the phone over again. So it survived the pulled battery, but chose to turn itself off.

Maybe you could get an external-battery case, like a Mophie or a Zero Lemon? That would provide more battery (albeit not infinite) without needing to power off to swap batteries. I suppose, if it came to that, you could easily how-swap the external-battery cases, if it came to that, and you drained both the case- & internal-battery.

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the try lol. I never use a case, it would be like putting a case on my bmw lol. I pick a phone in part for its looks and they get ruined with cases. In my line of work anyway. I can see where some jobs would require one. Even at that, with a case that is equal to one battery, plus the one in the phone, I would still need a third swap to get to 11PM

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

I don't need a phone as thin as a wafer, I need to run my business.

I never use a case, it would be like putting a case on my bmw lol. I pick a phone in part for its looks and they get ruined with cases. In my line of work anyway.

I'm not sure that you can have both statements at the same time :p

But agreed, a 3000-3500mAh external-battery case still wouldn't get you through a full day of your use. It was for a different phone, but I think someone mentioned a ~6000mAh external-battery case. If one of those was released for the G4, maybe that would do it. Admittedly, it would add a lot of bulk. But unless someone comes up with a way to hot-swap batteries, you'll still have some downtime during battery changes.

Hyperion seems to be working on a case for use with a 6000mAh extended-size replacement battery, FWIW:
http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Hyperion-HoneyComb-Warranty-Packaging/dp/B00ZAK1J6Y

But that would replace the stock 3000mAh, not be in addition to it.

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

I'm not sure that you can have both statements at the same time :p

But agreed, a 3000-3500mAh external-battery case still wouldn't get you through a full day of your use. It was for a different phone, but I think someone mentioned a ~6000mAh external-battery case. If one of those was released for the G4, maybe that would do it. Admittedly, it would add a lot of bulk. But unless someone comes up with a way to hot-swap batteries, you'll still have some downtime during battery changes.

Well I guess your "two statements at the same time" goes over my head lol because they don't relate, if anything, they support each other by the fact that I don't need a thin phone and I don't want a case to ugly up my phone.

I would however not mind a thicker G4 at all. No case, just thicker. When you realize how slim and tiny that battery is, they could pile 3 (layered on top of each other) before I'd start to complain about the phone being too thick. That woud be 900 mah.

Or back to my original thought of hot swapping. That way you can still market "slim" and "thin" to women and play up the hot swapping to men for gaming etc.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

..Btw, the day I turn my screen down to dingy and stop apps and turn off the screen is the day I no longer need a smartphone.

Give me nits, give me color accuracy and give me a battery that can handle the job...
Preach it brother. I never use auto brightness. Never. My screen is between 90% and 100% on any phone I use. I'll sacrifice readability over battery every time.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Well I guess your "two statements at the same time" goes over my head lol because they don't relate, if anything, they support each other by the fact that I don't need a thin phone and I don't want a case to ugly up my phone.

I would however not mind a thicker G4 at all. No case, just thicker. When you realize how slim and tiny that battery is, they could pile 3 (layered on top of each other) before I'd start to complain about the phone being too thick. That woud be 900 mah.

Or back to my original thought of hot swapping. That way you can still market "slim" and "thin" to women and play up the hot swapping to men for gaming etc.
Who is your carrier? If VZW, The Turbo is your phone for battery life. Not what they are advertising, but a beast all the same.

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Preach it brother. I never use auto brightness. Never. My screen is between 90% and 100% on any phone I use. I'll sacrifice readability over battery every time.

Although I would never push my usage on anyone else (nor would I let them push their's onto me) I always cringe when I see someone straining to see a screen that to me doesn't even look like its on!

Oddly enough, the same people seem horrified it they can't get a blinding screen in direct sunlight. Go figure.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the try lol. I never use a case, it would be like putting a case on my bmw lol. I pick a phone in part for its looks and they get ruined with cases. In my line of work anyway. I can see where some jobs would require one. Even at that, with a case that is equal to one battery, plus the one in the phone, I would still need a third swap to get to 11PM
Alright, this is getting scary -- get out of my head. You're damned right about covering up your phone with a case. If everyone's phone is going to be residing in a case, then there needs to be a governing agency that determines a phone size and exact dimensions based on classifications, and then all case manufacture's will build cases to accommodate those classifications. Then the phones can just be slabs, waiting for their ultimate beauty makeover via the chosen case of the customer. Hell, maybe that really is the solution after all.

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Alright, this is getting scary -- get out of my head. You're damned right about covering up your phone with a case. If everyone's phone is going to be residing in a case, then there needs to be a governing agency that determines a phone size based on classifications, and then all case manufacture's will build cases to accommodate those classifications. Then the phones can just be slabs, waiting for their ultimate beauty makeover via the chosen case of the customer. Hell, maybe that really is the solution after all.

Its beyond me how millions of people can carry on and scrutinize every aspect of the phones exterior shape size and material used... then put an ugly case on it.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

My apologies if my post came across wrong, I was kind of messing with you :)

I did make some assumptions. And I get why you would not want to use a case. Merely for bulk reasons (not even aesthetics), I added a really-thin case to my G4. I wanted some added protection, but the phone is already a little too big for my tastes.

Unfortunately, without other available options for the G4, I guess you have to decide between 100%-uptime for business, or not using a case. If you could not accommodate the phone being down at all, the only thing I can think of would be multiple external-battery cases, and hot-swapping the cases themselves. It would be expensive, and it would violate the no-cases rule, but it would keep the phone on all the time.

Or, as dungoyle said, maybe a phone with a larger-capacity internal battery (and/or a more efficient phone) would be a solution.

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

My apologies if my post came across wrong, I was kind of messing with you :)

I did make some assumptions. And I get why you would not want to use a case. Merely for bulk reasons (not even aesthetics), I added a really-thin case to my G4. I wanted some added protection, but the phone is already a little too big for my tastes.

Unfortunately, without other available options for the G4, I guess you have to decide between 100%-uptime for business, or not using a case. If you could not accommodate the phone being down at all, the only thing I can think of would be multiple external-battery cases, and hot-swapping the cases themselves. It would be expensive, and it would violate the no-cases rule, but it would keep the phone on all the time.

Or, as dungoyle said, maybe a phone with a larger-capacity internal battery (and/or a more efficient phone) would be a solution.

Ha no worries, I was on to ya ;)

While I struggle to make sense of your lastest reply lol, I will say this, when my phone is shut off for the 3 minutes it takes to swap, everyone else's phones light up from people asking why I'm not answering them.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

same here. I go to bed at 100% and when I wake about 6 - 7 hours later, I am at about 92%. I have my Garmin Vivoactive connected via BT so that is where the drain comes from.

What I am experiencing is that sometimes my phone gets HOT to the point where shut it off for 5 mins. to cool it down. I am in the process of tracking the culprit down. Either a bad outlet or a battery or my imagination.....I think the later!....LOL

I have the viviactive also, do you have any issues with getting notifications at night (when it should not)?

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, it was perhaps a poor, long explanation.

Shorter version: for a full day of hard use, with no shutting down, buy multiple external-battery cases, like a Mophie.

Use the case until it dies. Then, while running from the phone's internal battery, remove the first external-battery case, and put on a second, fresh one. The phone's internal battery is your "hot swap" battery during this change.

Clumsy, expensive, and bulky. But it's all I can think of to avoid having the phone ever shut down during a long day of heavy use.

Or, don't use an external-battery case, cold swap your internal batteries, and apologize to the folks who couldn't reach you during the downtime :)

Boston Powers

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, it was perhaps a poor, long explanation.

Shorter version: for a full day of hard use, with no shutting down, buy multiple external-battery cases, like a Mophie.

Use the case until it dies. Then, while running from the phone's internal battery, remove the first external-battery case, and put on a second, fresh one. The phone's internal battery is your "hot swap" battery during this change.

Clumsy, expensive, and bulky. But it's all I can think of to avoid having the phone ever shut down during a long day of heavy use.

Or, don't use an external-battery case, cold swap your internal batteries, and apologize to the folks who couldn't reach you during the downtime :)

Well I love your relentless search for alternatives lol.

On Friday, we actually had a mini meeting on what to do. One of my collection agents suggested that I run 2 phones and look into having the second sim take the call that the first cant.

It's because its not so much about the voice part of the call as it is my about my ability to "see" what they are asking advice on.

JSAUCE75

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Two days ago I disabled "Amazon app platform". So far, it seems to have greatly improved my battery life. Running similar times to my T-Mobile g3 now. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix. Give it a shot of you're having battery issues on your Verizon g4.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Going on 40 hours on one charge, albeit close to WiFi and less than 4 hours of SOT

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Turn off battery charge sound?

This does turn off the sound, but not the vibration or the notification. I just want the whole stupid thing disabled. It's absolutely pointless. I have eyes...I can see when my battery is charged!!

I may sound a little more upset than you think is necessary, but if you have an LG you may understand my frustration. If not, imagine this...your phone is charged to 100%, but you leave it plugged in because why kill your battery if you're 3 feet from a wall charger, right?? The phone literally vibrates at least once every 15 seconds because it charges to 100%, stops charging, drains JUST ENOUGH to start charging again, then bzzzzzz....full battery, time to stop charging and drain just enough to charge and fill again!!! BZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Ha no worries, I was on to ya ;)

While I struggle to make sense of your lastest reply lol, I will say this, when my phone is shut off for the 3 minutes it takes to swap, everyone else's phones light up from people asking why I'm not answering them.

No offense, but if you can't be down for 3 minutes without people jumping on you, I'm glad I don't have your job ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha