LG G4 Died Overnight?

HelpBrokenMobile

Oct 13, 2018
Visit site
My G4 was plugged in overnight to charge, and on the following day, I woke up to notice it was completely dead. Strange I thought because it wouldn't respond to anything (recovery/download mode, normal boot, etc.). I assumed it was just the battery's time to die so I ordered a new one off Amazon (PowerBear). I put it in the phone, and it started turning on. Whew, it's back... Right? Suddenly, the screen shuts off during the LG boot logo (before the animation). WTF? Now I'm back at square one. Phone doesn't respond to anything. A couple battery tricks where I take it out and hold the power button for 30 seconds can sometimes get it to show the empty battery screen when connected to my computer, but even that's very rare. If I try putting the battery in at this part, it shows a battery loading animation and then the phone freezes indefinitely.

I've tried multiple USB cables, computers, and A/C adapters. No matter what, I can't get the phone into recovery or download mode. My computers can detect the correct driver as the phone is dead but it still won't work in LGUP. I've also returned the PowerBear battery, arguably prematurely.

If it's of any relevance, I had my G4 screen replaced by a third-party repair store a month prior to this incident, and I find it hard to believe it's just a coincidence my phone dies not too long after. Based off what I know, this isn't a bootloop issue. My friend who works at another repair shop insists it's the motherboard but can't fix it since they no longer have an LG technician. However, before all this, my Android OS was acting super funky - "Android is upgrading 300 apps..." for 20mins upon each reboot, despite it being the latest software, and my data limits had a glitched out schedule where it thought the phone was in the year 2023 despite date/time being set correctly. I had plans to reset the software but not being able to boot the phone anymore has prevented it, obviously.

According to the serial number, the phone was manufactured in November 2015, which I believe is past the date of when the faulty G4s were distributed. So what gives!?

The freakiest part of this is that my iPhone 7 Plus - which was at 100% battery (unplugged) before I fell asleep, was completely drained when I woke up on the same day. I also have no idea what that's about.

Any and all replies are appreciated. Thanks for reading!

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that all LG G4 phones were subject to the bootloop defect, which sounds like what just hit you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d