LG V20 Software updates.

jay-h-1

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
Just got a LG V20. Great phone.
But not getting any software updates.
When I go to the software update menu it says software is up to date.
Also says last update:never.
Phone is a unlocked at&t model h910. Being used in Canada on the Koodo,Telus network.
Currently running 10m software.
Available software is10r
I know it's 7.0 any the update is only security updates but I want updates especially when Oreo comes.

Only thing I am coming up with is taking the phone to at&t to get software updates but this is 3hours away.

Or getting a at&t sim card and finding a way to activate it in Canada...looks like this option will be a problem as well as at&t won't sell a Canadian a sim card in Canada.
Got one coming from another source.

I did try lg air..... rebooting..... Google mainframe resetting....and a couple other tricks...no luck..... don't want to root do to all the issues rooting be causes.
Be
Anybody run into this?
Active at&t sim card the missing link??
Cheers.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Just got a LG V20. Great phone.
But not getting any software updates.
When I go to the software update menu it says software is up to date.
Also says last update:never.
Phone is a unlocked at&t model h910. Being used in Canada on the Koodo,Telus network.
Currently running 10m software.
Available software is10r
I know it's 7.0 any the update is only security updates but I want updates especially when Oreo comes.

Only thing I am coming up with is taking the phone to at&t to get software updates but this is 3hours away.

Or getting a at&t sim card and finding a way to activate it in Canada...looks like this option will be a problem as well as at&t won't sell a Canadian a sim card in Canada.
Got one coming from another source.

I did try lg air..... rebooting..... Google mainframe resetting....and a couple other tricks...no luck..... don't want to root do to all the issues rooting be causes.
Be
Anybody run into this?
Active at&t sim card the missing link??
Cheers.

AT&T strictly only allows updates via OTA but you need a AT&T sim.

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The V20 does not get security updates mine is idle now and the security patch is December 2016 great right so dont count on it. I went round and round with att google LG and they all point the fingers but its LG fault
I think it is slated to get Oreo in 2050 so you might hold out till then

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The V20 does not get security updates mine is idle now and the security patch is December 2016 great right so dont count on it. I went round and round with att google LG and they all point the fingers but its LG fault

The V20 does get security updates - at least on Sprint. Mine just upgraded Android security patch level 9/1/2017 to 11/6/2017.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i have a T-Mobile LG V20, and I got updates up to September via OTA, but then I downloaded LG Bridge, and I got up to the November 6th security update

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it is slated to get Oreo in 2050 so you might hold out till then

It does, only the unlocked version doesn't. Carrier versions have the benefit of regular OTA updates (for AT&T, it requires an AT&T sim + service).

I really don't care about security patches, I never got hacked (only my cloud accounts have been compromised and it wasn't my fault). I just want software fixes, but why would manufactures do that when they could sell you a brand new phone with newer software? Something to think about.

jay-h-1

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
It does, only the unlocked version doesn't. Carrier versions have the benefit of regular OTA updates (for AT&T, it requires an AT&T sim + service).

I really don't care about security patches, I never got hacked (only my cloud accounts have been compromised and it wasn't my fault). I just want software fixes, but why would manufactures do that when they could sell you a brand new phone with newer software? Something to think about.
Agreed,I have tried everything,last update was April 2017 with never updated under update history tab.
Also phone is in Canada.
I was told bring it to the at@t store in USA for updates.
I think best buy USA will update as well.
Will wait for Oreo,then do while traveling.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you all tried LG Bridge? I was unaware of it and someone on Reddit posted about it.

Just install it on your computer, plug in your V20, check for an update and boom

I went right to the November security patch

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly enough I just got notified for an update today.
ff5e40a5aaf4d2692c9e46f4297b039b.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you all tried LG Bridge? I was unaware of it and someone on Reddit posted about it.

Just install it on your computer, plug in your V20, check for an update and boom
Interesting. I don't see any mention on the product page for LG Bridge about updates - just AirDrive and Backup. I'll install it and see if it differs from what I listed.

Edit: so of course there's a 'Software Update' option shown. Unfortunately it won't connect to my V20. Oh well.

Last edited:

jay-h-1

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Interesting. I don't see any mention on the product page for LG Bridge about updates - just AirDrive and Backup. I'll install it and see if it differs from what I listed.
Lg bridge will not read software level from phone,fails to read every time.
Lg mobile support tool says h91010m is up to date....April 2017.
Yet
At&t website shows h91010 r as current.
Nov 2017.

sanford12

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Air drive is the only thing that uses wifi. Backup and Software Updater use USB. As I'm typing it is downloading an update from 11/30. I'm on T-Mobile.

The update is a 2.57GB download from LG. Looks to be a firmware update. Still 7.0 Nougat

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So far the only thing that I actually noticed visually that's new is Hotspot Timer. Pretty neat I think if you need to use it.
ade7361dc61c01923635617b1e148763.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk