Light bleed?

dragononice

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday suddenly my TF create more light bleed when I turn them on...it is really bad...many small circle appear and almost fill vertically.
Is this really light bleed? or system error?
thanks

erotavlas

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi My first tablet I bought was the Acer Iconia Tab A500. Only because the Asus wasn't in stock at the time. I thought I'd try out the android OS to see if I liked it. Anyway I had two weeks refund period to try it out. Near the end of my trial of the Acer, Future Shop finally received shipment of the Asus Transformer. I ordered it online and when I received it I compared them both side by side.

The first thing I noticed when I powered up the Asus was the light bleed on the bottom and right side. I was so dissapointed because I thought the Asus was going to have a better quality screen it being IPS and all. The Acer Iconia on the other hand had a perfectly uniform screen with no backlight bleeding like we see on the Asus. You can see the difference in colors and contrast, and sharpness between the two (The asus being the better one, only if it had no backlight bleeding however)

I returned the Acer Iconia, only because I like the keyboard dock of the Asus. I decided to order another Asus and hope that I get a better unit. Unfortunately I have the keyboard dock as well so if I don't find a better tablet I'll be stuck with the keyboard dock.

However if I fail to get a better unit of the Asus I'll probably revert back to the Acer and sell my dock.

I hope they fix the quality of the screen because I never seen such light bleeding before. I'd gladly accept a small price increase for the Asus if it meant having better quality control of their displays. because really all this returning and exchanging is a hassle and Asus lose money on it themselves.too.

Last edited:

dragononice

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually ASUS display is the same with iPad 2...and that suppose to be better for multitouch, however the panel have weaknesses, according to some, mine is not light bleed but faulty display, I should return it :)

Hi My first tablet I bought was the Acer Iconia Tab A500. Only because the Asus wasn't in stock at the time. I thought I'd try out the android OS to see if I liked it. Anyway I had two weeks refund period to try it out. Near the end of my trial of the Acer, Future Shop finally received shipment of the Asus Transformer. I ordered it online and when I received it I compared them both side by side.

The first thing I noticed when I powered up the Asus was the light bleed on the bottom and right side. I was so dissapointed because I thought the Asus was going to have a better quality screen it being IPS and all. The Acer Iconia on the other hand had a perfectly uniform screen with no backlight bleeding like we see on the Asus. You can see the difference in colors and contrast, and sharpness between the two (The asus being the better one, only if it had no backlight bleeding however)

I returned the Acer Iconia, only because I like the keyboard dock of the Asus. I decided to order another Asus and hope that I get a better unit. Unfortunately I have the keyboard dock as well so if I don't find a better tablet I'll be stuck with the keyboard dock.

However if I fail to get a better unit of the Asus I'll probably revert back to the Acer and sell my dock.

I hope they fix the quality of the screen because I never seen such light bleeding before. I'd gladly accept a small price increase for the Asus if it meant having better quality control of their displays. because really all this returning and exchanging is a hassle and Asus lose money on it themselves.too.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who has used IPS screens or pretty much all forms of LCD screen should be pretty used to light bleed by now. I don't know why people return a device for it, it literally is only a problem when nothing is is shown in an area. Once the operating system is loaded even when watching a movie where black is being produced in the area you shouldn't see it.

erotavlas

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
In my search for a perfect screen, I now have purchased 4 Asus transformer tablets (all 16GB) from various stores. I compared them all to each other in a dark room using the gallery to display a black jpeg. and brightness turned to maximum

Here is what I found...

Tablet 1. Light bleed (small amount on bottom where home screen button is, and one where the clock area is, extremely small amount on right side..The rest very uniform black.

Tablet 2. Larger bright blotch on the bottom middle, very noticable. I returned this one and the sales guy marked it as defective, probably was

Tablet 3. Light bleeding on right side and bottom. This was returned. Sales guy couldn't see what i was talking about due to bright lights in the store.

Tablet 4. Light bleeding on left side, bottom and right side. Worst of the bunch. Returned it and sales guy marked it as defective. Probably wasn't but he seemed to insist that it was.

I've kept the first one that I bought since it was the best and most uniform.

Conclusion, I think they all have this problem I'm almost convinced there are no 'perfect' units. However I have yet to purchse a 32GB version tomorrow to see if there is any difference - who knows maybe Asus constructed the more expensive model a bit better....but I doubt it.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is the real light bleed test. Find a dark movie or make one where it the video signal is all black (not nothing, all black). Then see if you can see the light bleed. Again if it is just that you can see some light around the edge when a machine is powering up while the backlight management is turned off and the bios isn't sending a signal to any of those edge pixels (only the eeePC and Asus pixels during load are active), then its an issue that pretty much 90% of the LCD, specially IPS screens have. But that's the point, its not an issue because their is 0 count 0 impact on active screen content. Including an all black screen where something like that should easily be noticed.

Question for everyone with the screen bleed issue, have you ever seen the bleed at the home screen with the solid black bar across the bottom?

erotavlas

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is the real light bleed test. Find a dark movie or make one where it the video signal is all black (not nothing, all black). Then see if you can see the light bleed. Again if it is just that you can see some light around the edge when a machine is powering up while the backlight management is turned off and the bios isn't sending a signal to any of those edge pixels (only the eeePC and Asus pixels during load are active), then its an issue that pretty much 90% of the LCD, specially IPS screens have. But that's the point, its not an issue because their is 0 count 0 impact on active screen content. Including an all black screen where something like that should easily be noticed.

Question for everyone with the screen bleed issue, have you ever seen the bleed at the home screen with the solid black bar across the bottom?

I can still see the bleed even on the home screen with the solid black bar, however it is very faint and hard to notice because of the icons and wallpaper, even at max brightness. It is however more noticable when the icons are gone, like right before you unlock it..

I attached a picture of mine which is the first tablet I bought and is really not that bad compared to others I've tested.

The first photo has max brightness, the next displays a black photo in gallery, it is also max brightness, the last photo is about 50% brightness and you can see the bleeding at the bottom is reduced quite a bit.

The top 95% of the screen is near perfect, any variation is due to the angle of the camera. So really its isolated to the area occupied by the black bar of the home screen.

dragononice

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
For mine, even in the black photo it stays
I have contacted Asus, and will see them next week
Maybe need to ask for replacement
Actually the unit it self is work perfectly and problem free
Until many small white spot appear in the center
They said it is screen faulty

erotavlas

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
In my search for a perfect screen, I now have purchased 4 Asus transformer tablets (all 16GB) from various stores. I compared them all to each other in a dark room using the gallery to display a black jpeg. and brightness turned to maximum

Here is what I found...

Tablet 1. Light bleed (small amount on bottom where home screen button is, and one where the clock area is, extremely small amount on right side..The rest very uniform black.

Tablet 2. Larger bright blotch on the bottom middle, very noticable. I returned this one and the sales guy marked it as defective, probably was

Tablet 3. Light bleeding on right side and bottom. This was returned. Sales guy couldn't see what i was talking about due to bright lights in the store.

Tablet 4. Light bleeding on left side, bottom and right side. Worst of the bunch. Returned it and sales guy marked it as defective. Probably wasn't but he seemed to insist that it was.

I've kept the first one that I bought since it was the best and most uniform.

Conclusion, I think they all have this problem I'm almost convinced there are no 'perfect' units. However I have yet to purchse a 32GB version tomorrow to see if there is any difference - who knows maybe Asus constructed the more expensive model a bit better....but I doubt it.

Tablet 5: I found a 32GB model and it too has light bleed Mostly on the bottom and on the right hand side. It was worse than my first one so its going back.

Note: this tablet had a green seal and so did the other 3 with light bleed, only one I tested had a black seal from the new batches (ie.serialnumber B60... ) and it too had light bleed.

The oneI decided to keep was one of the first batc with green seal and serial startikng with B50...

GripnRip

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So are the new ones any better for the most part? I have a B40 Serial number unit with moderate bleeding and I've been considering exchanging it. If my store has a B60 unit would it be safe to assume that it would be manufactured a bit better?

Dathon

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I am on my 4th tablet. I had a B50, two B60's and now a B70. The B50 had the least bleeding and I should have kept it. The B70 has the worst, around the left and bottom of the screen. I cant use any dark wallpaper because of the terrible bleeding.

NEXUS1

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't justify returning a $300 tablet for something you can hardly see when the screen is totally black! I love this tablet :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201