Light bleed?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
well i called to bestbuy two hours ago and it appears that they charge restocking fee only on special items. So i can safely take TF to any BB location and get a full refund.... After playing some more with the tablet I see that android 3.0 is far from being polished as lets say froyo or gingerbread... and also this display unresponsiveness was simply killing me having to tap up to 4! times on an icon or option... I suspect that this is rather a hardware problem... But anyway I'll wait for another six or more months until problems with android tabled OS will be fixed and overall performance improved... but ironically, the ipad is the only tablet today that has the most polished software and smooth experience...

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
my Transformer has MINOR lightbleed (about the middle of the lower edge) but you don't notice it unless you are looking exactly at that location. When I first saw it I contacted sears right away to figure out how their policy works (where I got mine) but in using it the past few days, I really don't notice it, at all.

I also find the display to be very responsive (with the exception of a few apps, most of which are not tablet optimized)

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
My Xoom after the 10.3 Flash upgrade and the 3.1 OS upgrade made a world of a difference. Flash HD video plays great almost all the time with a few buffering moments here and there, but i get this on my i7 laptop also. The scrolling is almost as smooth as the ipad but not quite there but definitely noticeable over 3.0. The touch responsiveness and have to be honest never had this issue, so don't know if it's hardware related. If you are not happy with the TF wait for the Samsung 10.1, also like to mention that if you decide to go with the xoom get it at Costco they have a 90 day return policy and might even have more options of tablets down the road, I'm waiting for them to carry the BBPB 7".

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the unresponsiveness is a hardware problem. If its a software problem then everyone should be having that issue.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well you know it's been almost 3 hours since I got the device and I am playing with it nonstop... so i can tell you my initial impressions already... while I have no dreaded light bleeds I did however notice a few things that I don't like.... the screen unresponsiveness its really annoying, i am used to immediate touch screen responces on my Atrix even with the slightest touch... here, on Asus i found myself tapping twice or even four times on icons/options etc.. and it seems to be sporadic, sometimes first tap works sometimes not... like i said.. its annoying another big dissapointment is browser embedded flash videos,.... this thing almost (well not almost but at all actually) doesnt play 720p embedded videos.. it just laaaags.. so horribly lags... it does play 480p videos fine but while they look fine on my Atrix's 4 inch screen, here on Asus they look horribly pixelated.. i just tried to play HQ video on youtube application itself.. it lags too.. So let me put it this way: when there is too much adobe flash content on the page banners/videos etc. things like pinch to zoom opening options and even switching to home screen is a pain.. And its really surprising as much as disappointing because my Atrix has the same hardware and whatever i do on it is super smooth (it even manages 720p flash vids much better than here though they do still lag...) So I haven't decided yet what to do i will play with it for another day or two maybe and see... but i might put it on ebay for sale eventually.. not liking the experience at all....

Thanks man, I appreciate the honesty. It's easy to get caught up in how cool the new gadgets can be, especially something like the Transformer with its neat little "turn-into-a-laptop" ability (like the atrix, which btw, we both have. :) ). For me, personally, my main use for the transformer would be using polaris on it to type up notes during various college classes, browsing the web, checking e-mail, and watching lotsss of youtube and other various video sites such as niconico douga and jibtv. For most of my uses, the transformer seems to be having issues in. I've read in the AC review of the transformer, as well as another separate review somewhere, that the polaris had some issues. You've made me aware of the youtube/video issues; I'd definitely want that to work flawlessly, with 720p video. Having the atrix with its nice, sensitive-to-touch screen, I'm not so sure I'll be able to bear switching between that and the transformer's unresponsive screen, although I understand not everyone is having that issue, so it's most likely a hardware problem. Still, though, that's yet another problem that people are experiencing with their transformers. I'm kind of tired of hearing about them now lol...I mean, with everything added up, by-golly-george this thing has a LOT of potential problems, and your chances of receiving one that doesn't have anything but a tiny bit of light bleed in a corner somewhere are like 20% out of 100%.

It's unfortunate, because I really wanted this tablet, and I already have the completely unopened keyboard dock sitting behind me, still in its shipping box even (I haven't even touched it after receiving it and sitting it down).

But I think I'll be waiting for the Transformer 2, if it ever comes to fruition. I wasted my money on this dock though, so time to make a post to sell this thing.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man, I appreciate the honesty. It's easy to get caught up in how cool the new gadgets can be, especially something like the Transformer with its neat little "turn-into-a-laptop" ability (like the atrix, which btw, we both have. :) ). For me, personally, my main use for the transformer would be using polaris on it to type up notes during various college classes, browsing the web, checking e-mail, and watching lotsss of youtube and other various video sites such as niconico douga and jibtv. For most of my uses, the transformer seems to be having issues in. I've read in the AC review of the transformer, as well as another separate review somewhere, that the polaris had some issues. You've made me aware of the youtube/video issues; I'd definitely want that to work flawlessly, with 720p video. Having the atrix with its nice, sensitive-to-touch screen, I'm not so sure I'll be able to bear switching between that and the transformer's unresponsive screen, although I understand not everyone is having that issue, so it's most likely a hardware problem. Still, though, that's yet another problem that people are experiencing with their transformers. I'm kind of tired of hearing about them now lol...I mean, with everything added up, by-golly-george this thing has a LOT of potential problems, and your chances of receiving one that doesn't have anything but a tiny bit of light bleed in a corner somewhere are like 20% out of 100%.

It's unfortunate, because I really wanted this tablet, and I already have the completely unopened keyboard dock sitting behind me, still in its shipping box even (I haven't even touched it after receiving it and sitting it down).

But I think I'll be waiting for the Transformer 2, if it ever comes to fruition. I wasted my money on this dock though, so time to make a post to sell this thing.

well you know... being an IT tech I'm usualy very picky about new electronics that i get. I put them to extreme tests and very thoroughly check all possible scenarios that I'd be most likely using on daily basis, this is my first full experience with Android 3.0 Honeycomb. and I would suggest you to wait for at least a few more months until the OS is matured, while playing with it for the rest of the evening before I finally decided to return TF, I found some issues that I never had on Froyo.. for example to my surprise the system is very picky to popular video formats I wasnt able to playback any of my dvdrips that I have.. and they play nicely on Atrix no conversion needed..... I downloaded an alternative movie player from the market but again vids didnt work.. I don't know, perhaps there are some special codecs/movie apps available for Honecomb I didn't look into that any further, the problem with flash playback and overall performance when using browser was my main concern.. and then the display of course.. I must say that TF plays tegra games reaaaaaly nicely.... samurai vengance and riptide look awesome on a 10 inch screen. but I can play even better games on my pc, I dont need a $400 tablet for just playing games.. I'd get an ipad, even the first one, if it had flash on it..... it seems to be the best choice today really... btw Tegra processor has issues with video playback its discussed on many forums so I suppose the best choice would be to wait for tegra 3 + next iteration of Honecomb. good luck man!

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I could agree with you whether tegra 2 could play video well because it does it flawlessly for the most part on the xoom @720p and looks fantastic. You're right about the games, they play and look phenomenal. As for the apple tabs, I would stay away from ipad1 because at this point in the game it seems slow compared to the dual core tabs and this is literally. So I would guess ipad2. Have you considered a Xoom?

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
W00T! Its here. Not seeing any light bleed issues, but I am in a fairly bright office. Screen is responsive and its working great so far. Waiting for battery to charge so I can update it.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I could agree with you whether tegra 2 could play video well because it does it flawlessly for the most part on the xoom @720p and looks fantastic. You're right about the games, they play and look phenomenal. As for the apple tabs, I would stay away from ipad1 because at this point in the game it seems slow compared to the dual core tabs and this is literally. So I would guess ipad2. Have you considered a Xoom?

are you able to play 720p flash embedded videos on your xoom after the update? i was searching on the info if honeycomb 3.1 has improved video playback and couldn't find anything, it seems that it really depends on Adobe flash, So if you can play 720p videos imbedded (or in native youtube app) then most likely its an issue with the Asus Transformer itself.... I could be wrong though.... But I have only 14 day window to return my tablet for a full refund and waiting for 3.1 to come out in hope it will improve a performance is a very questionable thing.. i was thinking about Xoom and even played with it two times at verizon store and staples. but its just too thick, heavy and superexpensive.... i'm not gonna pay $600 for a tablet.. heck you can buy a good laptop for that price! (which will play 720p nicely btw) Actually i think i'll wait until tablets cost will be reduced to the netbook level... that just seems more fair to me

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
here's the link for example... the one i tried. TF doesnt play it AT ALL, you can hear the sound but video just freezes......

LG Optimus Black review: Black and bright - GSMArena.com
let me know thanks!

Ok i got video playback from the link you provided, the guy was playing with his LG phone and it was stunning at 720p in both small window and full screen on the site. Then I double tapped and I was on youtube continuing the same video but this time it took up the whole screen @720p and looked even better, no stutter or buffering,this is on my Xoom. I guess all the lastest upgrades make the difference. That's all I can guess.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
are you able to play 720p flash embedded videos on your xoom after the update? i was searching on the info if honeycomb 3.1 has improved video playback and couldn't find anything, it seems that it really depends on Adobe flash, So if you can play 720p videos imbedded (or in native youtube app) then most likely its an issue with the Asus Transformer itself.... I could be wrong though.... But I have only 14 day window to return my tablet for a full refund and waiting for 3.1 to come out in hope it will improve a performance is a very questionable thing.. i was thinking about Xoom and even played with it two times at verizon store and staples. but its just too thick, heavy and superexpensive.... i'm not gonna pay $600 for a tablet.. heck you can buy a good laptop for that price! (which will play 720p nicely btw) Actually i think i'll wait until tablets cost will be reduced to the netbook level... that just seems more fair to me

Xoom and Transformer basically weighs the same, maybe a .1 pound difference at most.

At its deepest point they are also exactly the same .5inches

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok i got video playback from the link you provided, the guy was playing with his LG phone and it was stunning at 720p in both small window and full screen on the site. Then I double tapped and I was on youtube continuing the same video but this time it took up the whole screen @720p and looked even better, no stutter or buffering,this is on my Xoom. I guess all the lastest upgrades make the difference. That's all I can guess.

thanks! maybe i'll buy the TF again after the update :)

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
here's the link for example... the one i tried. TF doesnt play it AT ALL, you can hear the sound but video just freezes......

LG Optimus Black review: Black and bright - GSMArena.com
let me know thanks!

I just played that video in the browser at720p with out any problems. I also played it in the youtube app at HQ with out trouble. On my brand new TF. I did havean upate waitingwhen i first powered on which i did install.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I just played that video in the browser at720p with out any problems. I also played it in the youtube app at HQ with out trouble. On my brand new TF. I did havean upate waitingwhen i first powered on which i did install.

just made two vids of my TF with samples. posted in "initial thoughts on my TF" thread.

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I do have to say typing on the tablet sucks. Its easier to type on my phone. REALLY need to find a keyboard for any more serious typing.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The TF has ridiculously huge kyeboard, I found that native Honeycomb keyboard is much better especially in portrait mode... but you know..... overall typing experience sucks anyway because of bad screen responsivenes... in either mode...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards