List of all 163 T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 markets

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
disappointed! I could have sworn St. Louis was on the HSPA+ 42mbps list. I guess that makes me MUCH less likely to break my contract w/ AT&T. I know I could go Straight Talk, but it won't save me any money until October, when my contract runs out.. Thanks Jerry!

I know, right? Yet they have nothing up to speed in Missouri and one city in Kansas. Kansas City, MO and St. Louis are stuck on their HSPA+ 21 network, and I'd definitely call those major metro areas.

However, much of my time now is spent in Waco, TX, which all the major carriers (and MetroPCS) love for some reason. I guess Baylor University being here makes a difference. If I weren't on contract with Sprint, I'd probably do what the AC writers suggest and test-drive the prepaid plans on T-Mobile and Straight Talk (AT&T). My guess is that AT&T has better coverage, but T-Mobile has better speeds, just like practically everywhere else.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

kx250ryder

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
do mvnos get hspa+ 42 ?

Along these same lines, can anyone confirm whether prepaid plans (either through MVNO or T-Mobile Itself) will have the same hspa+ 42 coverage footprint as the equivalent postpaid option?

I've heard some say prepaid is the same, and others say you don't get full speed and even some say you don't get full access to all the T-Mobile towers (smaller coverage area).

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Live and work in the Boston area as a contractor doing much of my work on commercial buildings. I have T-Mobile and currently using the SGS3, I get great coverage inside and out of all major buildings in and around the Boston area. Of course if you are stuck in the middle of a concrete block room in the middle of a building you won't get service just like my Verizon with LTE won't. It is all the same. I get faster speeds with my T-Mobile phone, getting around 23mb down and 5 up right now. They just recently bumped the speeds even faster. The battery just keeps going. Currently T-Mobile is installing the 1900 radio network on all their towers, another great reason to go T-Mobile. I have not used my Verizon phone in over 2 months, the only reason I keep my plan is because i have unlimited data and don't want to give it up. T-Mobile offers unlimited data, real unlimited data without throttling for only 30 bucks a month. How the heck can you beat that? Give them a try, nothing to gain but speed and money in your pocket.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I know, right? Yet they have nothing up to speed in Missouri and one city in Kansas. Kansas City, MO and St. Louis are stuck on their HSPA+ 21 network, and I'd definitely call those major metro areas.

However, much of my time now is spent in Waco, TX, which all the major carriers (and MetroPCS) love for some reason. I guess Baylor University being here makes a difference. If I weren't on contract with Sprint, I'd probably do what the AC writers suggest and test-drive the prepaid plans on T-Mobile and Straight Talk (AT&T). My guess is that AT&T has better coverage, but T-Mobile has better speeds, just like practically everywhere else.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

I thought the aquasition of spectrum from Leap would allow St. Louis to become hspa +42. Do you or anyone know if St. Louis is still single 10 mhz channel?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

abtxpress

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
No...
Lexington Ky
Louisville Ky
Nashville Tn
Memphis Tn
St Louis Mo
Jonesboro Ar
Little Rock Ar
Bermingham Al
enough.... I can go on and on and on... my point exactly. I live on the road. All the cities I just mentioned have LTE. T-Mobile is not for travelers.

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This may be a stupid question, but is it JUST the cities or is it the area AROUND the cities? I live between Fremont and Oakland, then I work in Oakland, but I don't even get reception inside my office (imagine what it's like being on a dial up connection again and that's what it's like trying to use my phone at work, but worse).
Sorry, not able to answer your question but I did want to ask you how you're liking TMobile. As a fellow Bay Area resident, I'm definitely curious to see what speeds you usually get for data and reception on your calls.

And just to confirm, you currently own the G2X which is capable of hspa+ 42?

Last edited:

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Anaheim is not mentioned, but it's mentioned in the commercial where she is riding her motorcycle through America..

1008, 1009, Dallas, Denver, Anaheim.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
For the folks talking about STL, are any of you on T-Mo now? Or ATT? I'm planning to buy the N4 and try out prepaid on both. I'm nervous though b/c I've heard horror stories about both networks. Wondering what the HSPA+ speeds are looking like on those two carriers.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
For the folks talking about STL, are any of you on T-Mo now? Or ATT? I'm planning to buy the N4 and try out prepaid on both. I'm nervous though b/c I've heard horror stories about both networks. Wondering what the HSPA+ speeds are looking like on those two carriers.

I have heard people getting an average of 2-6 on Tmobile in St. Louis. I don't think that Tmobile has 20 mhz of spectrum available so I doubt if you will see hspa+42 speeds anytime in the near future.

Edit: It looks like in St. Louis Tmobile has 10 mhz in the C and D block. So I would think hspa+42 would be possible. They just acquired the C block from Leap mobile in April though I am not sure if they have any plans to run hspa+42.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's very possible that T-Mobile just stopped announcing new HSPA+42 locations, but didn't stop rolling them out.
As I mentioned, that's their list -- I am just the monkey who copied all the press releases into one big ugly forum post so we didn't have to dig for it.

sURFNmADNESS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Jerry,
I believe that is an older list from June 2011. I remembered reviewing that when I was looking for another carrier months back. I am sure they have added more cities since.

T-Mobile Link June 2011

Per another post in the same news forum on T-mobile 175 markets had HSPA+ 42 as of Jan 2012. However they are not listed in the release.

I would guess that number is near 200 if not over by now since 2012 is almost over.

Last edited:

icecoolfsu

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
This list is old. I got an email from T-Mo confirming 42mbps service in Little Rock, AR and I am indeed getting it. Got over 20 down on an Amaze 4G.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This list is old. I got an email from T-Mo confirming 42mbps service in Little Rock, AR and I am indeed getting it. Got over 20 down on an Amaze 4G.

What email did you use top contact them? Can't find any in their page.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Seeing a lot of folks asking, so here's the list in alphabetical order by city name.
Thanks.

Of course. "Subject to change."

I spend time in Durham, Raleigh, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Santa Clara,... I can tell you that while I do get 4 bars of 4G in some spots, and some nice download speeds, I HAVE NOT as yet field tested anything better than 17MBps (and that was in my bedroom, probably line of site a 1/4 mile from a tower). HSPA+ 42 my eye. [This is with a 01/2013 made HTC Amaze which should be on all the necessary freqs.) And I see the phone switching 4G, 2G, UMTS/HSDPA a lot, causing a lot of battery drain I'd guess.

FYI I'm not a cellular wireless technician, don't even play one on TV. So I don't know much about how this sheot works (my last professional accreditation was on VOR, TACAN, RADALT, GPS, etc, not even close).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54