Locked out of Galaxy S7, can't afford to lose data on phone, need help now.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi,

Yesterday I set a fingerprint lock on my S7. It prompted me to enter a backup password and some other password, both with different requirements (one only had to be 4 letters, one was longer and had a number) and the longer one had to be confirmed whereas the shorter one did not. I set this up and tested it a few times, everything seemed to work great. Later I let my phone idle and it turned the screen off on its own for the first time, ever since then the phone has not been able to recognize my fingerprint. It doesn't even say "No match", it just acts like I'm not even putting a finger on it at all.

Tried over and over and eventually tried the backup password, which for some reason is the shorter one without a number. I put in what I am absolutely sure I put in, and it wouldn't take it. Tried a couple more times, even got so desperate as to emulate potential typing errors I might have made (since no confirmation for that password) and nothing worked.

Eventually I hit the timed lockout and I had to stop trying things then. So I went online and searched and discovered Google's Android Device Manager. I heard that if you lock the phone with it you can unlock it through the same manager and the phone will be unlocked. First thing that was odd was that ADM didn't give me an option to enter a password, just a contact message and phone number. I still put in a message and hit lock, and... nothing changed on ADM at all.

Now my phone shows the stupid message every time I wake it up and every few seconds on the lock screen (I can still attempt to unlock the phone with the password and use phone/camera though), but ADM doesn't even give an option to unlock, just change the locked message. I can't even get rid of the damn lock by changing it to blank. I heard Samsung offers a similar service but I never made a Samsung account and apparently one is required to use it.

Beyond that the only solution I've found is wiping the phone (which I can easily do, because there's an option in ADM for it which presumably works), which I really don't want to do since I have a lot of pictures and data on the phone that aren't backed up that I would absolutely hate to lose.

To make things worse it appears that this issue is specific to my phone/the S7/Samsung phones/something, as I have my old Nexus 4 listed in ADM as well and going through the options for it I see it has the ability to define a password, but no such thing for the S7. I really have no clue where to go from here, tons of googling hasn't found me any method I haven't already tried or can't do.

I'd be so grateful if someone here would at the very least find a way for me to recover data before wiping it to get rid of the lock.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, Google's Find My Device will only allow you to set a password remotely if the phone didn't have a screen lock set up in the first place.

Have you already tried Samsung's Find My Mobile to see if you can remotely change the password? https://findmymobile.samsung.com/

dbollman423

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Where was the data stored? If it was on an SD card, it is still there assuming it was not encrypted. if you back your phone up regularly to the SD card via Smart Switch it might be there. Do you sync your calendar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjustink1984