Longer support for Android updates.

Jaderl1982

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Apple tend to support their older phones for a maximum of 5 years. Most older high end phones have the capacity to support new Android updates, but most companies like Samsung only support for 2 years. I've been reading alot of articles lately that tackle this subject. Do y'all think it's just a matter of time where comapnaies like Samsung, LG, Sony and ect follow apples blue print. In my opinion at some point they will have no choice. My note 10 plus cost $1200, it's disgusting that in 2 years it won't get any new Android support. I know it will get security updates and I'm not arguing that point, just think that eventually they're going to support more then 2 years, especially with all the power this phone has. I think as consumers we have to hold these companies accountable for better support for phones that cost over a grand and that are capable of running the new software. Let me hear your opinions on how you feel?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unlikely. The 2-year update cycle was already a response from critics and with security updates becoming more important (which are now, supposedly, easier on the way the OS is made and how updates are pushed). However, unlike Apple, Android manufacturers tend to a different 'clientele' with a myriad of hardware options... hardware that takes development time and resources to keep updating, and money most manufacturers aren't willing to invest in that area and rather spend in new R&D and development for newer models, where their revenue is.

If you find 'disgusting' that the hardware you're being charged for is going to be doing less than it is doing today (when you're paying that amount of money for it), then nope, it'll still do the same today and whatever the features of the OS allow in two years. But developing updates beyond that point is NOT a matter of whether the hardware can take it: it's the fact that now those companies have two years worth of different levels of devices with newer hardware to invest their time and money in.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I find it a bit greedy and disgusting too, however... I decided against the S20 Ultra and if the newest rumours of the next Note being 128gb for the base model and same ripoff as the S20 Ultra for the top dog then they'll lose another sale there, I vote with my feet and my wallet

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I see both sides of the coin in this case. On one side I understand the OEM position of it being too time consuming and expensive to support so many devices for longer than 2 years. But on the flip side, phones are more expensive than decent laptops these days that get updates for years down the road. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison as Windows handles the updates for the OEM's, but still.

I think flagships that cost north of $1000 should get at least 3 major updates, and security updates for 5. Let the midrange and budgets go after 2 years, but keep the flagships up to date for longer. The hardware can actually support future updates more than they were able to in the past.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Apple iOS updates and Android updates aren't equal. When a new version of iOS come to older devices it is always missing a number of new features. Apple also doesn't change iOS much.

Personally it doesn't bother me to only get 2 Android version updates and 4 years worth of security patches are enough. I've got no desire to use a phone more than 4 years old as my daily driver, the technology advances too quickly. If you can't afford to buy a new flagship every 3 or 4 years to stay current there are plenty of quality cheap devices.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
And also most of those people using those phones past the 3 year mark don't care either. They purchased the phone for what it does currently not what it could possibly do after 2 years+. The tech enthusiasts that will buy phones for new features will have already moved on to a more current device.
Apple iOS updates and Android updates aren't equal. When a new version of iOS come to older devices it is always missing a number of new features. Apple also doesn't change iOS much.

Personally it doesn't bother me to only get 2 Android version updates and 4 years worth of security patches are enough. I've got no desire to use a phone more than 4 years old as my daily driver, the technology advances too quickly. If you can't afford to buy a new flagship every 3 or 4 years to stay current there are plenty of quality cheap devices.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple tend to support their older phones for a maximum of 5 years. Most older high end phones have the capacity to support new Android updates, but most companies like Samsung only support for 2 years. I've been reading alot of articles lately that tackle this subject. Do y'all think it's just a matter of time where comapnaies like Samsung, LG, Sony and ect follow apples blue print. In my opinion at some point they will have no choice. My note 10 plus cost $1200, it's disgusting that in 2 years it won't get any new Android support. I know it will get security updates and I'm not arguing that point, just think that eventually they're going to support more then 2 years, especially with all the power this phone has. I think as consumers we have to hold these companies accountable for better support for phones that cost over a grand and that are capable of running the new software. Let me hear your opinions on how you feel?

You hold them accountable by not purchasing their $1200 or $1400 phones. Until then, nothing will change.