Looking for help choosing a new phone to use with Straight Talk

ElterAgo

Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. Been mostly happy with it (other than the constant Samsung popups). I've been using it for about 3 years now and it is finally dying.

My carrier is Straight Talk Wireless, since that is the only one that seems to be able to give consistently good reception near my home. I know that makes no sense since they use the towers of the big boys, but there it is.

I went to the Straight Talk website to look for a new phone. Oddly they have almost no choices that are less than 2 years old. Even for those "Super Deal", they have less memory than std, older operating systems than std, and charge more than almost any other place I can find the same phones.

So I want to find a 3rd party Android phone that can be used with Straight Talk, so I can get one that is up to spec.
1) I play mobile games on my phone way more than I should. The S7 gets hot and drains the battery too fast.
2) Take lots of pics and movies of the kids and pets, but nothing professional quality.
3) A fair amount of my time is on wifi, but not all of it. Maybe 40%.
4) Eyesight is poor, I don't wan a screen smaller than 125mm of display space (diagonal).
5) I don't intend to spend $1500 just to keep having the latest and greatest.

So, any suggestions from you fine folks?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung S21 FE is being released on 11 January 2022. You may want to see what the price is when it's available. The FE models are typically less expensive than the regular S models.

ElterAgo

Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
Oddly enough, when I log into the website that phone isn't an option. I can follow your link for partial info on it.

Is there much difference between the A51 and A52?

How is the A series different from the S series?

Last edited:

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Oddly enough, when I log into the website that phone isn't an option. I can follow your link for partial info on it.

I would strongly encourage the A series as well and due to all upcoming 3G shutdown issues, only 5G versions which I believe eliminates the A51 you mentioned.

Some other factors include, Straight Talk offers both VZW and TMO SIMs and that can affect which devices you can purchase. Find out which network your account is on since it matters. Also, VZW just purchased TracPhone with all it's USA subsidiaries including Straight Talk division. At some point, TMO network isn't going to be an option.

Buy the device from Straight Talk or you could have compatability issues due to VZW purchase

Last edited:

ElterAgo

Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
What do you folks think about the Google Pixel 6 compared to the A52?

Or maybe the Samsung S21 compared to the A52?
The prices are closer than I expected.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
What do you folks think about the Google Pixel 6 compared to the A52?

Or maybe the Samsung S21 compared to the A52?
The prices are closer than I expected.

I'm not a big fan of first generation devices which is what I consider the Pixel 6 and it's Tensor chip for now. The flagship VS mid-tier is purely a budgetary consideration and how much specs do you need? That's only a question you can answer for yourself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This might help: https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-a52-5g-vs-galaxy-a51-5g_id4982

I'm a big Pixel fan, so I always recommend them. It's true that there have been some widely publicized issues with the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, but I personally have experienced few if any of them (I have a 6 Pro), so it's always a little hard to figure out if they're really widespread or if they've just become so prominently discussed because of the situation (i.e., heralded new phone with new chip from big Google). Looking through the forums and other websites, you could probably find an equal number of complaints about flagships from other companies, like the latest Galaxy S or Note phones.

And you wouldn't necessarily have to jump to a Pixel 6. The Pixel 5a 5G is an excellent phone based on a Qualcomm chip, so there wouldn't be any concerns about using Google's new Tensor chip.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
This might help: https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-a52-5g-vs-galaxy-a51-5g_id4982

I'm a big Pixel fan, so I always recommend them. It's true that there have been some widely publicized issues with the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, but I personally have experienced few if any of them (I have a 6 Pro), so it's always a little hard to figure out if they're really widespread or if they've just become so prominently discussed because of the situation (i.e., heralded new phone with new chip from big Google). Looking through the forums and other websites, you could probably find an equal number of complaints about flagships from other companies, like the latest Galaxy S or Note phones.

And you wouldn't necessarily have to jump to a Pixel 6. The Pixel 5a 5G is an excellent phone based on a Qualcomm chip, so there wouldn't be any concerns about using Google's new Tensor chip.

Agree with everything above. I'm happily on a Pixel 5a while also testing out the Galaxy A13 so I'm just a budgetary kind of guy.

During transitory period, I'll probably skip the 6a but start considering the 7a depending on how Google polishes the 6Pro/6a introduction followups. I've thoroughly enjoyed my 3a and 5a so far.